What bits do you use and why?

Emilieu

Visit site
Have discovered a woeful gap in my knowledge! I went to do the questionaire on bits for another member the other day and realised that beyond a snaffle I have no idea at all :eek: all of the horses I have ridden have worked well in a snaffle for what I wanted from them so I have never really had the need to look any further. I'd like to be a little less ignorant please so can you tell me what your choice of bit is and why? Piccies would also be most welcome :)
Thank you.

ellie_e

Visit site
A myler comfort snaffle (hanging cheek) and a myler comfort pelham. Both have poll pressure which helps in keeping head down rather than sticking up my nose ;)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Eggbut French link. Very plain bit :) Pony doesn't like a loose ring so the eggbut cheeks keep the bit more stable. I dislike jointed snaffles, I think a FL is kinder.

I hunt him in a Dr. Bristol, again an eggbut. It's stronger and acts on the tongue in a slightly different way but has a similar feel in his mouth to the FL.

He's young and we've had a few teeth issues so I've been round the houses a little trying to find something he likes. Had him in a Happy Mouth FL (hanging cheek) for a while as he wouldn't accept a metal bit at all, but now into the stainless steel FL which he makes a nice mouth in.

Kat

Visit site
Mine only wears a snaffle, but she has a few different ones to choose from! Currently she's in a loose ring french link made from stainless steel. She has also had an eggbut lozenge link made from aurigan/german silver and a NS Demi Anky. I change them depending upon how she is going. I think we are due another fiddle as she's feeling a bit unsettled at the moment so she might appreciate a change.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Loose ring (softer than fixed) copper (horse goes better in it) lozenge (again softer than single joint)
And a myler jointed snaffle - same features as above (loose ring and 2 joints) but the independent action of each side seems to work well for this particular horse.

Brimmers

Visit site
french link hanging cheek for flat work
hartwell pelham for fast/jumping - more room for his big old tongue!

Elsiecat

Visit site
Bits we keep to hand are snaffle, pelham and loop ring show bit.

Welsh sec a is in a cambridge snaffle. Nice weak bit that she's happy to have in her mouth.

Foxy has been tried in all 3 but I've gone back to the pelham as she works best in it. She can be a bit daft in snaffles, but in a pelham she seems to be a securer horse.

The boy is in a snaffle as thats what he came in and he seems to be good in it.

Django Pony

Visit site

lottiepony

Visit site
Currently in a loose ring sweet iron with a copper lozenge. She is stiller in a sweet iron as will 'count' (chomp) on stainless steel bits.

Sprocket123

Visit site
Mine is ridden in a straight pelham (with double reins) thats the only bit she is content with.
The tb when backed will be in a snaffle

Sol

Visit site
Dan's currently in a Billy Allen snaffle, like this one http://www.cowboytack.eu/images/Billy_Allen_D_Ring_Snaffle_Bit_St_Steel_mit_Silber_Show.jpg but it's a plain one. Very similar to a myler really, but a bit thicker, Dan prefers it to a myler & I prefer the price :p He's happy in this bit.
I also school him sometimes in a pelham, which encourages him to reach for the bit more & therefore improve his self-carriage. So I will be buying him one of these soon http://www.va-reitartikel.com/bilder/produkte/gross/Snaffle-Bit-mit-Shanks-Billy-Allen.jpg which is basically just the curb version of his current bit, he's been in one before & went very well in it, and it comes in more sizes than most english bits it would seem! :)

I jump Dante & am working my Sec A in a PeeWee bit, http://www.trelawneequine.co.uk/wp-...ne_equine/images/productimages/peeweebit1.jpg
Dante really likes it, and I can jump him in this with a light hand and no carting, especially in winter or XC when he's a bit more full of it than in summer. He schools well in it too. It's also one of the few bits that Dimples, the Sec A, will accept quite happily :)

Squiggles on Paper

Visit site
For flatwork, a loose ring cherry roller snaffle because he doesn't need an overly strong bit, just something to check him in and he goes very well in it.

For jumping and hacking, a Myler low port comfort snaffle pelham with roundings because he can get strong and stick his head out, in the pelham he goes lovely and doesn't take out/add in strides as much as he used to in his full cheek waterford.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Older cob in ns verbindend as he seems happy in it after trying a few different bits over the years found may as well be in a kind bit as when he gets strong he sets his neck so whatever bit he has in does nothing.
Tb mare in either happy mouth full cheeck snaffle with a roller or a French link full cheek snaffle when more breaks are needed.

mandwhy

Visit site
Just a plain old French link loose ring snaffle for mine, dislike single joint because of the 'poking' on the roof of the mouth, and a loose ring because I think it helps with 'feel' a bit. Don't think she is entirely happy with the thickness of it though so maybe looking into something a bit thinner that sits in her mouth better.

Janette

Visit site
For Hacking/schooling - a Neue Schule forward ported pelham. Lots of room for her tongue.

For dressage - a Myler hanging cheek mullen mouthed snaffle. It's the closest thing I could find to a pelham which is dressage legal.

For showing, an Sam Marsh pelham. She is so light in the hand, and relaxed in this bit.

No bendy joints in any of these bits. She simply does not like them and resists/evades/inverts/pulls and argues.

Springy

Visit site
Neue schule

Start with a linked snaffle on all horses and then work up from there... less is better if you can get away with it, obviously some horses need more....

current one hanging snaffle aka baucher NS

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I use a loose ring French link for Doodle at home and hacking, she's well schooled and happy in it.
For Showing I use a French link rugby Pelham, a double is more correct but she's only got a small mouth so I had to make a compromise. I ride with two reins and the curb quite loose as she doesn't really need the Pelham, but it is useful for her diva look at me woohoo moments :rolleyes:, as well as being more correct.
I have tried her in one of those loop show bits (again with a French link mouth piece), as I think it looks neater on her head. And as its stronger than a snaffle it's useful if she gets a bit over-excited. But I haven't really decided which I prefer and am thinking maybe I should just stick with the loose ring.... but that discussion is for another thread :D.

The black beast that is Topaz is finally ridden (we have gone through a LOT of bits), in a loose ring straight bar happy mouth, with a grackle/ flash nose-band when competing or for fast rides.

Now this was a tricky one as she can be explosively excitably and does open her mouth to evade the bit, and after our competing and hunting experiences I did put her in a French link dutch gag with grackle noseband... But after some more thought we realized upping the bit and strapping her mouth shut wasn't the solution, it made us feel safer, but it was way too severe for her. So we went through some weird and wonderful bits and although with the straight bar she still opens her mouth, we think its more of a schooling problem and needs to accept our aids rather than a dislike of this bit?

So that's what we use rightly or wrongly, as we aren't that knowledgeable either :eek:.

Batgirl

Visit site
Mr Arnie has 2 main bits:

NS Verbindend for dressage/flatwork - it helps ligthen him up in front and he is happier with it.

NS Universal for hacking/jumping - giant horse, much power so a smidge extra brakes for emergencies out hacking (very light hands unless he b*ggers off up the road) and a little extra for jumping so we don't have any accidents :)

I also have a bridle I use for lunging which just has a bog standard loose ring, french link snaffle in it.

flump

Visit site
Normally just a full cheek single jointed snaffle on the ex racers or a Ns universal for jumping. Tho the one in a micklem can't wear a full cheek so has an eggbut snaffle.

However my big horse is jumped in a cross noseband a and a Dutch gag with the rein on the bottom :( hate it but he is soo strong so If anyone has a better suggestion please let me know!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I use a PeeWee bit.

Used because my gelding was resisting lowering onto the contact so after researching the PeeWee sounded ideal.
It is thin so allows room for the tongue, not jointed so it is more stable and sit on a special ring system to avoid excess movement and encourage self carriage.

So far it is working wonders :)

puss

Visit site
My spanish over bends badly in rubber snaffle so bought a nathe still overbends so now bitless
My cob is schooled loose ring snaffle and hack and jumped two ring gag as he very strong