What breed should i have

windand rain

Visit site
We currently have a yellow labrador that is the most amazing dog ever never chew anything, never stolen food, never run off never barked except at burglers and is a joy to live with. The babt granchildren adore her and she is unfazed by them they are careful and of course have to be gentle with her but they dont live here so I expeced her to be more wary. I love her we have always had gundog breeds she is 9 this year with a history of cancer although currently well.
Negatives are we live in a small house, we are both over 65 and although fit it is clear we will not live forever. Labradors are rather smelly. So in these circumstances what breed of dog would you suggest. Please do not suggest rescues as I have more bad than good experiences of them so will not now even entertain that route. I had thought a cocker or springer but they are very lively when young

Roxylola

Visit site
I have read I think here that Labradors are n=born half trained and springers die half trained. Having had both I'd say that's true, my springer is wonderful and in many ways a delight but she's a bit intense! And she's a bog dog so she stinks
My little mostly beagle hound would probably suit you better, yes they are stubborn, but they can be trained you just need to motivate them, they like company but mice certainly is as happy with human or dog. She did chew as puppy a bit, I lost a pair of shoes but nothing major. She's lovely with children even though I have none, she doesn't bark really at anyone or anything going about their business - only people out of place. She's cuddly but loves a good walk, she stays clean, she's a sweet gentle loving dog. She is however super food motivated and will steal if she gets chance

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would have another Lab. IMO they are the nearest thing to perfect as a family dog, if properly brought up, as I'm sure yours will be. I would go for show -bred, rather than working strain, though, you don't want something that is too clever.

{97702}

Visit site
A retired racing greyhound should tick all your boxes and not have the hang ups a lot of dogs that go through rescue centres do.

I was (naturally) going to say exactly this but the OP seems very set against any sort of rescue/re-homed dog... but they are fabulous, easy, relaxing, clean, no smell, walk wonderfully on a lead, don't need loads of exercise...

sz90168

Visit site
I have a cockerpoo and he is amazing. Never chewed anything, does not steal food/bark and is very loving. He is happy if he only gets one good walk a day or equally can walk hours. We have also just started agility and he really is exceeding my expectations, they are smart dogs. Not smelly at all if you keep them clipped short and no moulting which is lovely.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I would personally suggest a whippet or if you don’t mind hoovering a corgi but being totally transparent I would always recommend them to everyone 😂

Me too! But they never smell and dont shed. Mine will walk for 5 hours or 20mins. If I have a bad day and am stuck in bed they will happily stay there with me the whole day. They have the benefit of being small enough to pick up if needs be and they dont take much room, unless they are in bed when they expand to take all the available space!

My very best boy is a joy to own. He does scentwork and flyball and would happily do anything I asked him to. He loves learning and doing things, but is also happy sleeping all day. They both adore children of any shape and size despite us not having kids. And neither dog has a bad bone in their body. Plus look at that little face!

18952559_10154792003493667_5557075155225070612_n.jpg

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Smooth collie. perfect size (mine is 22kg, adult male-if you look online you'll see lots of US ones which are bigger)-happy to sleep on couch or run a 5km. Very sweet natured and gentle, love to play fetch and snuggle up with humans or cats. just enough hair (they do moult a bit but I can't do dogs that arent hairy), intelligent without too much collie neuroticism. rare British breed for no good reason I can fathom-healthy breed overall particularly if you go to a good breeder who knows their lines.

Mister Ted

Visit site
We currently have a yellow labrador that is the most amazing dog ever never chew anything, never stolen food, never run off never barked except at burglers and is a joy to live with. The babt granchildren adore her and she is unfazed by them they are careful and of course have to be gentle with her but they dont live here so I expeced her to be more wary. I love her we have always had gundog breeds she is 9 this year with a history of cancer although currently well.
Negatives are we live in a small house, we are both over 65 and although fit it is clear we will not live forever. Labradors are rather smelly. So in these circumstances what breed of dog would you suggest. Please do not suggest rescues as I have more bad than good experiences of them so will not now even entertain that route. I had thought a cocker or springer but they are very lively when young
Thought about a Cairn Terrier.? They are wonderful little dogs,I have kept them for nearly 30 yrs.Just the right size loyal and loving and their coat does not shed but does need some attention with a special comb.They are lively and love walks,can be a little stubborn sometimes but that is just their canny nature.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I have a cockerpoo and he is amazing. Never chewed anything, does not steal food/bark and is very loving. He is happy if he only gets one good walk a day or equally can walk hours. We have also just started agility and he really is exceeding my expectations, they are smart dogs. Not smelly at all if you keep them clipped short and no moulting which is lovely.

while some of these crossbreeds are as good as yours i have come across loads who are a nightmare, some do shed, some are dog aggressive, some are live wires and yap all of the time. it can be the owners but most of these crosses that i see are not suitable for a home who want an easy dog...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what people dont realise is that these dogs need regular grooming and the last thing you should do is bath them without combing out the matts as that makes them twice as matted... many of the ones round me are kept fully clipped all of the time ...

Leo Walker

Visit site
Is there a problem with the coats matting in the poodle crosses Seen afew groomers worried by that phenomenon

Yes. We have a dog groomer on site at the yard and I was talking to her at the weekend. She said its a huge problem. People dont want to invest the time brushing their dogs and then bring them to her to deal with the horrible mess left behind. I think she finds it quite upsetting.

{138171}

Visit site
Yes. We have a dog groomer on site at the yard and I was talking to her at the weekend. She said its a huge problem. People dont want to invest the time brushing their dogs and then bring them to her to deal with the horrible mess left behind. I think she finds it quite upsetting.
I have a poodle mix of some description and i brush him daily, but he still has to be kept short clipped as he is a bog monster.

Chiffy

Visit site
My vote is to stick with a labrador, no idea why yours smells unless she has just rolled in something.
Of the other breeds, I love the Smooth Collie, hard to source though, but I was after a sable at the time, which no one was breeding.
Not all rescues are difficult, I have had five over the years, all wonderful but I do understand that you hear many stories of difficulties. My latest is a retriever cross collie although she was meant to be Goldie/lab. Sweet and easy and much smaller than my flatcoats.
Personally I wouldn’t touch any spaniel or doodle breeds, but plenty will tell you they don’t have to be manic!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Is there a problem with the coats matting in the poodle crosses Seen afew groomers worried by that phenomenon

yeah, owners either need to learn how to do it themselves or factor in regular grooming costs. a colleague got a cocker-too as her first dog, she's done a good job with her except for the awful separation anxiety. with her particular set up its not a huge issue and I think she enjoys having the dog that way-it would drive me batty.

Clodagh

Visit site
yeah, owners either need to learn how to do it themselves or factor in regular grooming costs. a colleague got a cocker-too as her first dog, she's done a good job with her except for the awful separation anxiety. with her particular set up its not a huge issue and I think she enjoys having the dog that way-it would drive me batty.

*off topic alert* OH loves Pen the lab as she is so clingy, she trails around the house after him and always has to be touching his leg. When he was away last week she drove me mad. All the cockerpoos round here are similar (but all produced by the same mating, in the same house, so it is a limited gene pool example).

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
*off topic alert* OH loves Pen the lab as she is so clingy, she trails around the house after him and always has to be touching his leg. When he was away last week she drove me mad. All the cockerpoos round here are similar (but all produced by the same mating, in the same house, so it is a limited gene pool example).

I guess if you like that sort of thing, not big on velcro dogs myself. Quarrie is 'my' dog, and waits on me by the doors etc but I couldn't cope with a dog having a melt down because I'd popped to another room etc.

windand rain

Visit site
She is gun dog bred so has a very oily coat I think that and the fact the house is small so her smell is everywhere makes her a bit pongy. Its just doggy smell but can be overpowering when you first get home. Mind you every lab I have met has been a bit pongy