What breed would you advise

jessikaGinger

Visit site
we were havin a discussion the other day
If you are;

A nervous, sort of novice (had pony)
Dont want anything as stocky as a cob
need something 15.2++
dont want a TB due to injuries (sorry to sterio type)

What breed would you reccomend?
I really had no idea

Miss L Toe

Visit site
With a nervous rider the most important thing is the individual horse, but a Connemara cross or a Welsh D cross, cobs come is all shapes and sizes, not all gypsy types, so I would be looking at temperament first and breed second. Friesian crosses tend to be placid, in my experience, and older horses tend to be calmer. As to injuries, well get one with good conformation and a five stage vetting.

rosiejones

Visit site
Some qh are 15.2 and above, they seem pretty laid-back and tolerant, but of course depends on their upbringing and individual temperament. I'd second the advice above not to focus on breed, but go for age, experience and temperament, maybe some mixed breeding with a little 'cold' blood in it even if not that cobby? Gd lk!

Loopypony

Visit site
I don't think you should look for a specific breed imho, the temperament and how the horse is to ride, on the ground etc. is far more important.
If you narrow the search down to a specific breed(s) you could really miss a gem of a horse!

soulfull

Visit site
Its all down to the horse really as everyone has different experiences.

Most welsh cobs or TB's would be too much for a nervous person BUT there are the odd one that are fine.

For me the choice would be easy a good Czech WB :D they are bred for the 'average rider.' my lad is so easy its incredible, never spooks, never really does anything he shouldn't

But remember when you first get them they can take a while to settle even my MR Perfect had a few wobbles in the first month or two. You just have to be careful it doesn't knock your confidence

Ladylina83

Visit site
I'd go for a tbx navie a sec d or connie (i had a conniex, the most laid back thing ever)
A I.d.x too seems to work fairly well

I would love to agree with you but some days the only way a nervous rider would be on my TBxConnie mare is if she made them that way ! ! She is VERY strong minded and sharp but has talent to burn - she is just not a novice horse

I have x'ed her with an ID and at 1 he is already showing to be a very sane sensible type

jessikaGinger

Visit site
Thanks guys

If all goes to plan next year i will be getting another horse (prefrably to loan) until my foal is old enough to ride
I was hoping someone would say connie X
I did see a TB x New forest, looked like a nice build/temp
Im not actually nervous or a novice however i lose all confidence when getting on a new horse, no idea why :eek:

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
How about an ID. They are around 15.2hh upwards and most are sane and sensible. Will certainly do RC level and a bit of everything. My homebred RID youngster is very level headed, non spooky, exc the roads (shields the older horses from nasty tractors etc) and will go at the pace I want. Plenty of head and neck in front of you to feel safe. I backed mine myself wouldn't have contemplated that with any other horse as I've had 3 major spinal ops so not only wrong side of 40 but also creaky too!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Would not recommend a welshie, they are not for the nervous or the novice in my experience they need firm handling and can be extremely opinionated. If you want a bombproof hack, an Ardennes might suit they are used regularly by RDA because of their laid back tempers. If you want something a bit more for jumping then an ID or a Newfie or Haflinger may suit. But as everyone else has said go for temperament first and breed second. I also would not be too set against cobs, they are often lovely horses, with good nature but also more athletic than people think.
FDC

Kat

Visit site
I wouldn't look for a horse of a specific breed unless I had a specific reason for wanting that breed, say a desire to show or breed. For a general riding horse or lower level competition horse I would be looking for something that ticks the boxes irrespective of breeding.

I would be more inclined to have breeding that I would avoid, for example anything with a significant amount of TB, Arab or Welsh if I was nervous.

I'd probably suggest keeping an eye out for a cob cross, a native cross or overheight native, a draft cross or a nice irish sort. Nothing wrong with a real Heinz 57. For something larger and quiet a full draft of some sort might be worth considering too, a clydesdale, shire, suffolk, etc or if you didn't want something quite that heavy maybe a CB or ID.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would be more inclined to have breeding that I would avoid, for example anything with a significant amount of TB, Arab or Welsh if I was nervous.

I understand what you are saying, however my anglo-arab (so a mix of two of the breeds that you would avoid ;) ) has given me a huge amount of confidence. She was my first horse after a serious spinal injury which I got during a lunge lesson on an ID.
I have never, ever been scared to get on my mare, yes she can be a twit and dosn't like alpacas, but she's not nasty (infact she's very sweet) and doesn't try to get you off.

I would not discount any breed, go by the individual's temperament and whether they are a kind, sound (v important :p ) confidence giver.

Kat

Visit site
I understand what you are saying, however my anglo-arab (so a mix of two of the breeds that you would avoid ;) ) has given me a huge amount of confidence. She was my first horse after a serious spinal injury which I got during a lunge lesson on an ID.
I have never, ever been scared to get on my mare, yes she can be a twit and dosn't like alpacas, but she's not nasty (infact she's very sweet) and doesn't try to get you off.

I would not discount any breed, go by the individual's temperament and whether they are a kind, sound (v important :p ) confidence giver.

I wouldn't avoid that breeding at all but I would suggest that a nervous novice was cautious about that type of breeding as it tends to mean more high energy horses who take more management. I am certainly not saying that they are all nutters. I've ridden some very lovely TBs and arabs, the riding school I went to as a child had loads! But the chances are that horses with a high percentage of "hot" blood are more likely to be difficult for a nervous rider to deal with.

My main point was not to look at breeding but to look at what boxes the horse ticks and the job it does.

Breeding is irrelevant really unless you want to show in breed classes or compete at a high level.

Often people suggest a cob for a nervous novice, but to be honest they are often a nightmare for a timid rider as for all they are unlikely to be affected by the riders nerves and tend not to be flighty and sensitive they quickly learn to take advantage and use their stength. So I'd look for temprement, manners and so on before breeding/looks everytime.

lochpearl

Visit site
I would suggest Irish all the way, whether it be a x or not. I have a full ID and an ISH, both safe as houses and both can also up the anti when required. They have both been brilliant for the most rubbish of riders, but can also turn their hoof to more advance work with good riders. They are both very sane and safe and not really cobby at all.

Kaylum

Visit site
Its not just about the breed or breeding its about how its been schooled, ground worked etc. People can ruin perfectly good horses of any breed.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
TBH it all depends on the individual horse. certain breeds are associated with certain behaviours.

Sec D, ID and TB can tend to associated with scatty and silly behaviours.

YES THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE!

The buyer Is best to look for a schoolmaster type and not have any preconceived ideas about what the horse will be like just because of its breeding.

bluewhippet

Visit site

My arab gelding is incredibly sweet natured - seems to like being ridden - but I wouldn't suggest him for anyone nervous just due to the speed of his spooks and eel like manouevres. Nothing nasty about him at all but he is just too fast to be recommended to anyone who suffers from nerves from time to time!