what breed

titchward

Visit site
can any one recommend the best breed of dog for around the stables, im on a very small yard surrounded by moors and am wanting a dog that can be up at the stables all day with me off the lead and to come out on hacks

KarynK

Visit site
I would avoid breeds with a strong prey drive, Spitz, scent and sight hounds, anything that hunts. As much as you train a dog you will be fighting instinct in those types and it is hard to get a dog back from on top of a horse on the one occasion when they cannot help themselves. The nearer you get to working strains within those breeds the stronger will be the drive to do their real job, which is not follwing a horse around! Avoid sleddogs like the plague especially sibes there is no way they are going to stick around for long!

Over the years my best riding out companions have been herding breeds and crosses, Dalmations can be naughty and some collies manic but the instinct for these breeds are in the right place. A GSD would be good but you would need a worker with good conformation and not overdoo it as a puppy, but the workers can be sharp and you are on a horse.
I now have Australian Cattle Dogs, you have to be careful they don't heel but they have endless stamina agility and are bred to work with horses and big animals and do not have the mainia some of the working strain collies can exhibit. they have the short coat and are very easy to maintain. They guard as well which is nice when you are on your own.
I never have to call my dogs when I am at the yard they are always around when I want to go home even in the dark they know where I am and what I am doing, not off down a fox hole. They will grab a rabbit if it comes their way but never go off looking for that kind of fun!

Luci07

Visit site
Sorry if I am banging the drum again but I have 3 rescue staffords who are up at the yard with me. Youngest hacks out (middle one has displaysia so won't, oldest one has a sluggish thyroid). Taught not to chase the horses, they do mix with all the (many) other dogs though I am careful with introductions as we have a lot of young dogs on the yard so high energy + new dog is not always a good mix!. I also have to say I feel completely safe when on my own at night as there is not a chance in hell anyone could come on the yard without mine letting me know. They are big people lovers too..

Clodagh

Visit site
I would say a staff would be good, loyal and energetic. Or a labrador? Collies great but would they go off hunting sheep?

tessybear

Visit site
You cant beat a scabby little jackrussel for a yard dog ;)
we have a Jack who is fantastic (keeps the rats away to)

But no i agree with anyone else go for something you are comnfortable with and is easy enough to train, we have also had a greyhound before she would out run the horses on the fields !! However if she saw a bunny you had no hope of her coming back :p

Hunter93

Visit site
Collies will not go after sheep Lol. I have 3 collies and they don't batter an eye lid to a sheep ;)
Go to a rescue and describe what type of dog you want and they may have on suitable :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Hunter, yes YOUR dogs don't batter an eyelid at sheep but untrained/gone 'wrong' collies (and GSDs to a certain extent, any herding breed really) are notorious as the worst kind of sheep chasers because they 'know' their prey.

You can't advise on a whole breed because of your own individual dogs.

As KK, I would go for a GSD but select very carefully from a decent breeder and go for working or dual purpose lines rather than pet breeding, I can assist if you are interested.