what breed

splashnutti1

Visit site
I have a cob who is registered with the irish cob society however it doesnt state his breeding.

I am sure he has clydesdale in him and would love to do some heavy horse classes with him so would love to know. Is there anyway i can find out. have tried tracing him without much look. he is only 4.

Have been told he has clydesdale colouring and build. and also that he has some clydesdale traits. he is very similar to my old mare who was clyde x welsh but he is heavier.

i would post a pic but dont know how lol.

Is there anything i could look for in him which would suggest clyde?

It would also help solve an ongoing dispute with my sister who insists he doesnt have clydesdale in him lol.;)

tobiano1984

Visit site
What colour is he? I think Clyde colouring tends to come out with roaning, and white faces, although this isn't definitive!
I doubt you could do heavy horse classes unless he was registered with a breed society, you could do cob classes, and coloured if he's coloured!

splashnutti1

Visit site
he is almost (ive been told) a chocolate dun/bay but has classic white face, roaning all over especially his bum and shoulder and white legs above hock and knee which splashes on to his belly which is partially white.
my local show does a heavy class full or part breed which has been tempting me as dont have to be registered). dont think he has enouigh colour to do coloured :)

tobiano1984

Visit site
he is almost (ive been told) a chocolate dun/bay but has classic white face, roaning all over especially his bum and shoulder and white legs above hock and knee which splashes on to his belly which is partially white.
my local show does a heavy class full or part breed which has been tempting me as dont have to be registered). dont think he has enouigh colour to do coloured :)

Sounds pretty Clyde-y! Roans & duns usually count as coloured especially at local level shows, and I think white above the knee and white on his belly would also qualify. Can't tell without a pic for sure though. Then assuming he has good feathers he'd be right for a traditional coloured class...

splashnutti1

Visit site
he has good feathers ( however at the moment his are clipped due to mites) so he is hogged for the shows this year till all grows back.

i see so maybe he would count as a coloured with the roaning.

Was a judge in a cob class which said the white on legs and belly is typical clyde.

I would post a pic if i could but only have my phone or tablet and dont know how to do it lol xx

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I feel mean - it's unlikely that your hose has either the Roan or Dun gene. Bay Sabino, possibly with Splashed White is far more likely for a Clydesdale cross (if that's what he is). The term 'Chocolate Dun' generally means Sooty Buckskin, so nothing to do with Dun, or chocolate sadly as I'd really like to eat some. :(

If you'd like to post a photo, I can give you a better idea of his colour.

splashnutti1

Visit site
I feel mean - it's unlikely that your hose has either the Roan or Dun gene. Bay Sabino, possibly with Splashed White is far more likely for a Clydesdale cross (if that's what he is). The term 'Chocolate Dun' generally means Sooty Buckskin, so nothing to do with Dun, or chocolate sadly as I'd really like to eat some. :(

If you'd like to post a photo, I can give you a better idea of his colour.

Lol not mean at all :) im intirgued to know his colour and breed and love any advice and suggestions

It was a the same judge who said about the splashed white being a clyde trait who called him chocolate dun i always just thought he was a type of bay lol so you just confirmed what i think lol :) ( thought dun was an odd idea haha)

would love to post a pic if i knew how lol. i am an original dim blonde when it comes to technology and computers lol ;)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You can upload photos from your computer into an album on your forum profile or upload to photobucket (or similar) and then post the IMG code into the forum reply box. :)