what breeding lines?

twodonkies

Visit site
Having looked around for a potential new dressage horse I am finding it impossible to find one within my price range. I am now starting to think that I am better buying myself a 3-4 year old and getting it broken if necessary and training from scatch. I have looked at getting a native X e.g. IDx, ISH etc, but I purely compete at dressage so maybe better getting myself pure warmblood or warmblood X? However, I do not know what breeding lines would be suitable for an ambitious amateur rider? I do not wish to over-horse myself; however wish to train horse to compete medium and above level, so need some quality. Can anyone recomend good breed lines? Apart from the dressage I mainly hack and do occasional fun rides. But obviously with a youngster would want to broaden their education and do local riding club/showing etc.
I have the good support of a trainer, I did start out with my just broken 5 year old and have progressed him to medium level dressage, he is not easy to ride, even though a native X.

ecrozier

Visit site
I have no idea if this is true/widely accepted but my horse has nimmerdor lines and my instructor told me once that they tend to have very trainable attitudes... How much stock to put by that I've no idea as nimmerdor was obviously a few generations ago and his other lines are Sandro/Purioso on his KWPN side as Clover Hill on his Irish side!! He is very trainable though!

Cluny

Visit site
Donnerhall and Rubenstein lines are known for their rideability, whereas Jazz and Sandro Hit lines are considered to be 'hot'.

twodonkies

Visit site
Wheels: I want something large- 17 hands so dont think will make the height, but hear they have good temperaments

Cluny: agree- would not go near anything by Jazz - a friend of mine looked after some youngsters by him - lunatics!

Just unsure whether to go full wb or not- I am always worried about them breaking, thats all I ever hear about!

Cluny

Visit site
Twodonkies, I love my quality WBs and don't want to own or ride anything else. The problem with Continental bred WBs is that the best ones are kept on the Continent and its the broken (in body or mind)ones who are exported over here (although they might not seem broken to the unsuspecting buyer.

If you were looking to buy a good WB in the UK, I'd recommend either going over to the Continent and buy directly from the breeder, or buy British bred or, do what I'm doing, breed one yourself, but that's only because I'm slightly deranged! Lol!

burge

Visit site
Donnerhall and Rubenstein lines are known for their rideability, whereas Jazz and Sandro Hit lines are considered to be 'hot'.

Agree with above. I have had 2 D-Line babies and current one has a lovely easy going temperament, wonderful paces and excellent conformation! My friend has had a number of 'Sandro Hit' babies and they have been very forward and very sensible but they have in the main had 'Rubinstein' on the mother line. This seems a popular thing to do for obvious reasons. Bought mine off my friend who imports Hanoverians as foals as she likes them to grow up being 'horses' and not overworked and overfed which can cause problems in later life. Don't know what your budget is but have a look at her website:

http://www.gamblethorpehanoverians.co.uk

2 of her foals are now well known stallions 'Lord Luis' who stands at Harthill Stud and 'Woodlander Supertramp' at Woodlander of course. I know when Supertramp was for sale originally on her website anyone could have bought him for 7.5k which is cheap considering! A number of my friends have also had babies from her and a lot buy more than one!

DollyPentreath

Visit site
Whilst I wouldn't want a warmblood for myself as I event.. I once had a BD ride on a weltmeyer mare and have to say she was the most rideable, good tempered mare I've ever come across. I'm a pretty average dressage rider and I came 1st or 2nd in every prelim, novice or elem I rode her in! Several complete amateurs also competed her with success. Would happily have one if I wanted to do BD.

Cluny

Visit site
I very nearly went with Woodlander Supertramp as my stallion choice for my mare, lovely looking stallion, nice modern type. I had a long chat with Lynne Crowden about him and liked what I heard, but when it came down to it, as a first time breeder I decided to go with something proven, so went for Serano Gold (another Sandro Hit son) who stands in Scotland at the Romanno Stud. However, if I decide to breed another, I'd definitely consider him again.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Wheels: I want something large- 17 hands so dont think will make the height, but hear they have good temperaments

I have a PRE x Hannovarian who is currently a shade under 16.3 hh and still has a little growing to do, and his full siblings are a similar height. The PREs are not for everybody though.

In terms of warmblood lines - Ricardo z offspring are relatively easy to get hold of from Ireland and although I've only known two they were both beautiful movers and a nice ride.

I also really like Llanadel/Llandgraf lines, which is more of a showjumping line but they have produced some good dressage horses too.

woodlander

Visit site
Having looked around for a potential new dressage horse I am finding it impossible to find one within my price range. I am now starting to think that I am better buying myself a 3-4 year old and getting it broken if necessary and training from scatch. I have looked at getting a native X e.g. IDx, ISH etc, but I purely compete at dressage so maybe better getting myself pure warmblood or warmblood X? However, I do not know what breeding lines would be suitable for an ambitious amateur rider? I do not wish to over-horse myself; however wish to train horse to compete medium and above level, so need some quality. Can anyone recomend good breed lines? Apart from the dressage I mainly hack and do occasional fun rides. But obviously with a youngster would want to broaden their education and do local riding club/showing etc.
I have the good support of a trainer, I did start out with my just broken 5 year old and have progressed him to medium level dressage, he is not easy to ride, even though a native X.

I think buying a younger horse and training it is the best idea when your budget is small. Price is nearly always associated with quality unless you hit on someone who must make a distress sale of something nice (which can happen). Personally, I find the German horses a little less "hot" than the most heralded Dutch lines but each is specific. If buying an unbroken youngster ask loads of questions about the family...what did the dam do...what about brothers and sisters and other close relatives. This is normally a greater indicator than the sire himself. PM or call me if you need to discuss further.

sywell

Visit site
Whilst I wouldn't want a warmblood for myself as I event.. I once had a BD ride on a weltmeyer mare and have to say she was the most rideable, good tempered mare I've ever come across. I'm a pretty average dressage rider and I came 1st or 2nd in every prelim, novice or elem I rode her in! Several complete amateurs also competed her with success. Would happily have one if I wanted to do BD.
My Medoc gelding I bred got 56 points in his first season as a 7 year old and is branded Hanoverian and that included winning 3 CCI* he failed to go to the Nationals as he had penalty points for going too fast. I think eventers should look to change from ID*TB crosses.

spacefaer

Visit site
I have a Kelvin (by Flemmingh) out of a Notaris mare who is tough and sound - never taken a lame step in the 10 years we've had him.

He's utterly trainable, loves work and has gone much further than we intended when we bought him. (He was meant to be a top level RC eventer and is now an established PSG schoolmaster getting placed at Inter 1)