What breeds of horse do you NOT like?

Visit site
I feel like having an arab would be a bit like having a disney horse prancing about the paddock and although i've got no issue if people like that sort of thing, it's really not my cup of tea.
!

Youve actually summed them up in a nutshell - poncy, pretty Disney ponies - because Dispey ponies always end up carrying Prince Charming in full armour to the rescue and then carry both Prine charming and the Princess back home over many miles, rough terrain and being chased by a dragon!

Tough, hardy, long distance weight carriers!

Merrymoles

Visit site
After reading most (not all) of the comments, I think I own THE horse then encompasses a lot of people's dislikes all in one! Everyone meet Toby - a bit of a badly but together sort of cob not cob with a rubbish neck, wishy washy colouring that can't decide if it's an appy or a roan, spotty bum and TWO blue eyes. But of course I would not have any other horse, I love him and his weird looking self to pieces!

Dn0jkfX.jpg

6jOGKBF.jpg

I don't really dislike many breeds but I personally would never own anything too fine like a TB, they always look a bit breakable and I like something a bit chunkier!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think he's cracking! I like something a bit different! As the owner of a non-too-pretty piebald cob with a big head, too much hair (and currently still flipping moulting), massive splints on his back legs and an enormously thick white tail, I can safely say I've never been influenced by looks...

I've met unpleasant examples of most breeds and also examples that I would have loved to own - my preferences definitely depend on personality. I do have a soft spot for horses with a lot of white on their faces (probably thanks to loving Ryan's Son when I was younger).

Visit site
Youve actually summed them up in a nutshell - poncy, pretty Disney ponies - because Dispey ponies always end up carrying Prince Charming in full armour to the rescue and then carry both Prine charming and the Princess back home over many miles, rough terrain and being chased by a dragon!

Tough, hardy, long distance weight carriers!

I'm off to go buy myself an arab.

In fairness I totally asked for this. (albeit unintentionally).

windand rain

Visit site
Still havent seen a Friesian that I would care to sit on they look fantastic in carriages and a shiny Hearse but look dreadful to ride. I did used to quite like the old fashioned one but now they look like two horses joined in the middle. Having said that there is a pair of driven Friesians x arabs and they are beautiful

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'm off to go buy myself an arab.

In fairness I totally asked for this. (albeit unintentionally).

I think you've taken it pretty well :D its a shame that you just don't see as many about now. when I was a kid, eleventybillion years ago, there were whizzy anglo arabs everywhere. there were cobs around of course but noone, noone would ride a gypsy cob. Adults rode M&Ms without lynch mobs coming after them and most people bought horses they could ride.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
You're right, it's not easy to find a nice anglo these days and it's a crying shame as it's such a brilliant cross. Mine is 20 now and is in fab shape.

and most people bought horses they could ride.

I did wonder if this was because people didn't over horse themselves as often, or because the horses were sounder? Could be both I guess! :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
You're right, it's not easy to find a nice anglo these days and it's a crying shame as it's such a brilliant cross. Mine is 20 now and is in fab shape.

I did wonder if this was because people didn't over horse themselves as often, or because the horses were sounder? Could be both I guess! :)

I think owning your own was less accessible and mostly they were kept on livery whereby experienced people managed them. People did over horse themselves (I remember riding some of them for their owners as a working pupil lol) but they were generally in an environment where there was help.
I am generalising of course, I don't view it all through rose coloured specs but in real terms horse owning is cheaper and there are just more around now. I mean I grew up with hairy ponies kept in a field and on some back end DIY places in the 70s so they were around then too! but most of the people there were old school types that kept hackneys and the like so knowledgable.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I don't generally go for any purebreds, I like interesting mixes of breed, they intrigue me. The only pure breeds I would own would be Highland, Welsh D, Lusitano and PRE.

I don't much care for haffies, minis and most warmbloods.

However, I do currently own one big boring bay and one spotty, mottley, donkey eared, Roman nosed Knabstrupper X so I clearly just have poor taste. Oh and my next target horse to own is an Anglo Arab, preferably with a dash of Welsh D thrown in :p

Last edited:

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I appear to have two of the most hated breeds, a Highland and an Arab :eek: I'm honestly not bothered what anyone else thinks of them though as they are mine and everyone else can avert their eyes if they find them too ugly :D

lucky7

Visit site
Upkeep of a long mane is a no-no for me!! I have a welsh D with minimal hair and some silky feather and i have a cob who gets hogged out and clipped legs!!! she did have a really long mane but i didn't like it getting caught in my hands when i rode and she never like me touching it either so off it went!

JJS

Visit site
I think my horse keeping history speaks for itself really. I started by part-loaning a Friesian cross, had a Thoroughbred mare for my first horse, loaned a KWPN at one point, and currently have a Welsh B, Irish Sports Horse, Gypsy Cob, and Gypsy Cob x Welsh D. I honestly can't think of any breed that I would automatically discount, unless it was on the basis of them being either too small or too high maintenance for my situation at the time.

I think I actually own the horse that most of you dislike though, so maybe that says a lot: far too much white, an awful lot of hair, and a funny, slightly blue eye that always makes her look a little bit wild when you photograph her from her right side!

fK27S4S.jpg

Despite that, I adored her from the second I saw her picture on Preloved, and it just makes me love her that little bit more knowing that nobody else would want her in their stable :D

Visit site
I don't generally go for any purebreds, I like interesting mixes of breed, they intrigue me. The only pure breeds I would own would be Highland, Welsh D, Lusitano and PRE.

I don't much care for haffies, minis and most warmbloods.

However, I do currently own one big boring bay and one spotty, mottley, donkey eared, Roman nosed Knabstrupper X so I clearly just have poor taste. Oh and my next target horse to own is an Anglo Arab, preferably with a dash of Welsh D thrown in :p

Noooo spotty things are the best!!!!
I have a fewspot heinz 57 (well when I bought her I was told she's an appaloosa sport horse but apparently that's not a breed, according to Google) - never saw myself as a spotty horseperson but I think they're great now. And knabstruppers are stunning imo as are roman noses!

Last edited:
Visit site
I think my horse keeping history speaks for itself really. I started by part-loaning a Friesian cross, had a Thoroughbred mare for my first horse, loaned a KWPN at one point, and currently have a Welsh B, Irish Sports Horse, Gypsy Cob, and Gypsy Cob x Welsh D. I honestly can't think of any breed that I would automatically discount, unless it was on the basis of them being either too small or too high maintenance for my situation at the time.

I think I actually own the horse that most of you dislike though, so maybe that says a lot: far too much white, an awful lot of hair, and a funny, slightly blue eye that always makes her look a little bit wild when you photograph her from her right side!

fK27S4S.jpg

Despite that, I adored her from the second I saw her picture on Preloved, and it just makes me love her that little bit more knowing that nobody else would want her in their stable :D

Frankly I would snap her up in an instant, she's gorgeous.

Visit site
Me too. Such a gorgeous girl!

Isn't she. Hope Owner sees this - her horse now has a fan club.
Personally I don't understand why people dislike full feathers, I think they're lush!
Saw this guy at 3 counties a while ago and see the fluffy majesty of those feathers - or 'feet beards' as my non horsey brother insisted on calling them.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/X...sdiHu1IIlsGFS0u2YvAQvAb4sw8UD6w=w1267-h950-no

In my experience feathers aren't as hard work as they look, anyway; I was sharing a middleweight cob a while ago with seriously hairy legs but it was just a quick job every time i brushed her to comb her feathers and they stayed looking impressive year round.

Visit site
Oh and on the subject of arabians....this guy was, i don't know if he still is, standing at stud at the farm i bought my mare from:

https://scontent.flhr2-2.fna.fbcdn....=a6e646f88777c652363afa7dd9dfc8ef&oe=5A103F5F

At this farm my mare produced this foal to a PBA stallion who was a son of the stallion above: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/r...R1WBQJqca_KYQO3riBB1T3pMdxBpmdPQ=w720-h633-no

Frankly I'd happily have taken either of these 2 home as well!

(I will stop spamming now. I just like talking about my mare WAY too much. Don't judge me!)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I don't dislike any particular breed but wouldn't buy a full TB, warmblood, Arab or Welsh Sect D. Partbreds I would consider. It's colour I have more of an issue with, I don't like coloureds, appaloosa, greys, palaminos or anything with blue eyes. Saying that I don't like chestnuts either but own two as well as a full sect d, he's the reason I know I wouldn't buy another one.

atouchwild

Visit site
Don't like cobs, especially hairy ones. I can appreciate a nice hogged show cob (an actual show cob not one that has been hogged, clipped and put on horsequest as HOYS potential for 12k) but have no desire to ride one!
I don't like appaloosas or arabs. Wouldn't own another full warmblood - lovely temperaments but most often thick. And a WB gelding - no thankyou!
Also don't like fjords, quarter horses or Andalusians. Don't like cremellos (know not a breed) Don't really like Exmoor or dales ponies.
Basically I like thoroughbreds, plaited coloureds and a good true to type Native pony. It looses points if its a gelding!

silv

Visit site
No matter if the horse was put together really nicely, talented and with a great temperament, if it was a Double Dilute I couldn't bring myself to want it. Just don't think they are nice to look at and and always look grubby.