what bt

Count Oggy

Visit site
Two ring gag with a copper peanut. It's for a big cob who can be very heavy in the hand. I mainly use it on the snaffle ring but when he needs reminding to hold himself it goes on the gag ring. It also provides breaks when we're out with a crowd. It's the only time he moves and he can pull my arms out of their sockets!

landyandy

Visit site
thank you, I have an irish draught x, he is a big lad t 17hh, I have him in a fulmer snaffle, but he felt a little strong when I rode him, also felt heavy in the hand too

Jo1987

Visit site
My horse has been in an Eldonian D ring snaffle with a lozenge since a few months after he was broken (started with a straight bar happy mouth which one day he suddenly chewed through!)
He's 7 now and has always been nice and soft with good brakes.
I tried him in a loose ring version of the same bit a few weeks ago as I didn't think he'd notice a difference and was going to use it on his 'posh' bridle, but he hated it - he was crossing his jaw, throwing his head and running through the contact.
Put him back in his D ring and all was well again, so I'm just going to have to swap it when I take him out to parties!

Count Oggy

Visit site
Two ring gag with a copper peanut. It's for a big cob who can be very heavy in the hand. I mainly use it on the snaffle ring but when he needs reminding to hold himself it goes on the gag ring. It also provides breaks when we're out with a crowd. It's the only time he moves and he can pull my arms out of their sockets!
I should have added that I'm not a fan of the gag, it's too strong for everyday use and a week rider (me) can end up relying on it. I'm trying to find a replacement and have just bought a full check snaffle with copper peanut but it arrived damaged so haven't tried it yet. It will be his first fixed ring so will be interesting to see how he goes in it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I should have added that I'm not a fan of the gag, it's too strong for everyday use and a week rider (me) can end up relying on it. I'm trying to find a replacement and have just bought a full check snaffle with copper peanut but it arrived damaged so haven't tried it yet. It will be his first fixed ring so will be interesting to see how he goes in it.

If you use it with 2 reins, you can use the snaffle rein almost all the time and bring the curb into play just until he responds and then drop it again.