What camp does for your confidence! :D

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Jumping is something I loved so much as a kid, I would jump 120 for fun, bare back at times :D The at the age of around 15 I started to loose my nerve and my confidence never fully came back.
Before camp a couple of weeks ago an 80cm would be my 'comfortable ish' height and a 90cm pretty damn terrifying.. My goal for camp was to jump a few (maybe one..) 90's because I'd have someone on the ground telling me to get on with it ;)

We had Ann Hunter at Eland Lodge for a SJ lesson at camp and she was brilliant, she could see that Rocky could jump but I was the nervous one, and he did need the confidence from me to start. She ended up persuading me to jump 1m about an hour into the session?!o_O I did it, I didn't die and Rocky cleared it with some height but it felt huge!
Today I just had the urge to jump, our first time since being back from camp. I am so surprised at how confident I felt in both me and Rocks, I didn't feel nervous at all I actually really enjoyed it and didn't want to get off to go to work :D
We ended up jumping 1m05 a few times on each rein and I was beyond thrilled, I have dreamed of jumping 105 on him didn't think I would ever do it:eek:

About 4 months ago... I thought this was big enough and did chicken out at it at first...
thumbnail_IMG_3336.jpg

Today, what I would class as a bloody decent sized jump in my eyes.. think it's about 85/90? No problem for Rocks and I felt so comfortable at this height!!

thumbnail_IMG_3314.jpg

Today, 1m05... what a superstar! This has made my year
thumbnail_IMG_3337.jpg

Also, please excuse my jump position... I haven't jumped properly in a long time and it's something I'm working on!! I have a terrible habit of looking at the floor!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Ah fantastic, you look great!

I need to take a leaf out of your book I think and get my brave pants back on lol!

I saw that photo you put on last month of Skylla jumping that big spread... that looked huge!
Do it, you just need your brave pants for one jump then it all comes flooding back :D

That is fab :)
He makes a lovely shape over the fence

Thank you so much! He loves his jumping bless him x

Fiona

Visit site
Fabulous x x Well done you, so happy for you... I'm slowly moving in the same direction (though only at 80cm so far) and its a brilliant feeling.

I like your position, you go v far forward, but its backed up by a really secure leg position (rather than lower leg swinging back), so I think you look great...

Fiona

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Fabulous x x Well done you, so happy for you... I'm slowly moving in the same direction (though only at 80cm so far) and its a brilliant feeling.

I like your position, you go v far forward, but its backed up by a really secure leg position (rather than lower leg swinging back), so I think you look great...

Fiona

I saw your camp pics and videos!! You both look super, I love your pony I'm a sucker for a grey! It really is great to get your confidence back:D

Thank you so much Fiona, that's made me feel a little better about myself haha :)x

Sprat

Visit site
Fab fab fab report, I love a confidence giving story!

I took Bean out XC schooling last night after the very unfortunate passing of my friend at Solihull, I was a nervous wreck. However, did manage a good old thrash through the fields and popping an 80cm log out of the water so I think that was what we needed to get a bit of confidence back.

Your jump position is fine, don't be too hard on yourself!

Fiona

Visit site

I took Bean out XC schooling last night after the very unfortunate passing of my friend at Solihull, I was a nervous wreck. However, did manage a good old thrash through the fields and popping an 80cm log out of the water so I think that was what we needed to get a bit of confidence back.

Well done sprat, especially a solid fence :)

Fiona

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Ahh thats amazing! Well done you! :cool:
I need to find myself a camp which will lend me a horse so I can have some lessons :)

Thank you so much, I hope you find a horse to lend! Camp was an amazing experience!

Ahh this is great. I’m at your starting point 😫

Thank you Bernster!!! Don't worry, I posted on here probably a year ago asking for jumping confidence tips I was petrified! You will get there :) x

Amazing. I really do like him, what a super chap. You must get out competing!

Thanks so much FH :D He is a brilliant compact little thing I cannot fault him at all!! I have been on the look out for some SJ shows actually, changed woman!!

Thank you so much Sprat, I haven't stopped smiling yet he was such a cool dude about it too! :cool:
I'm so sorry, it was such terrible news, sending my condolences:(
Fab!! I find solid fences can be a little scarier haha, out of water too - impressive!:D
Thank you x

Bernster

Visit site
Haha I should dig out your post then, it’s obv worked! But I’m doing my usual being negative, I’ve come a long way already and we’re on the right path. But the idea of jumping 90 or more is just, wow, for me right now! You’re doing fab!

Kat

Visit site
Your position looks great, don't be too hard on yourself!!!

I am very similar to you, having been confident to jump a course at 90cm and a single fence over a metre years ago I just don't have the bravery anymore. I am improving but just having a gap of a few weeks between sessions sets me back and I struggle without someone there to push me.

Glad you found Ann Hunter positive and encouraging, I see clinics with her advertised quite frequently but worry they would scare me! Perhaps I should give one a go sometime

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Haha I should dig out your post then, it’s obv worked! But I’m doing my usual being negative, I’ve come a long way already and we’re on the right path. But the idea of jumping 90 or more is just, wow, for me right now! You’re doing fab!

I think we all can forget about the positives and focus on negatives!! Keep going Bernster I bet you'll surprise yourself, and height really doesn't matter, it needs to stay fun!:) Thank you again x

Your position looks great, don't be too hard on yourself!!!

I am very similar to you, having been confident to jump a course at 90cm and a single fence over a metre years ago I just don't have the bravery anymore. I am improving but just having a gap of a few weeks between sessions sets me back and I struggle without someone there to push me.

Glad you found Ann Hunter positive and encouraging, I see clinics with her advertised quite frequently but worry they would scare me! Perhaps I should give one a go sometime

Thank you Kat! Seems we are very similar people!! I also struggle without someone on the ground giving me the confidence and push. I didn't have anyone with me today only the jump wing as cameraman :D so I'm surprised at my confidence but I was just having so much fun on my horse i was in some happy place it really didn't matter!
I loved Ann she was really great she wasn't scary at all! She was incredibly thoughtful, I told her Rocky can be a bit looky at fillers so if there was a filler she would pop them out slightly to the side for him to jump first then put them straight back under and jump again so we could build his confidence!
Trust me when I walked in there and saw the 85cm fences up I was like omg they have to go down they're huge! With in an hour i was popping over a 1m, she didn't force me at all she just gave me so much confidence in myself and Rocky!

If I was local I would have lessons with her on the regular but unfortunately I live in Wales :(