What can I cut rubber mats with?

holeymoley

Visit site
I know some people have used Stanley knives for cutting their matting but I doubt it would go through mine. I have the old heavy stuff that takes two people to move a 6x4! Thinking about halving to make them 3x2 which would be much more manageable. What would get through it? A jigsaw?

sport horse

Visit site
I think when mine were fitted they used a stanley knife. I guess you score down the line then bend and keep cutting into the crack? Job for two strong people!!

Follysmum

Visit site
I have some of the really heavy black mats 18mm and hubby managed to trim mine with a Stanley knife. They are really heavy and need two people to move them

paddy555

Visit site
I know some people have used Stanley knives for cutting their matting but I doubt it would go through mine. I have the old heavy stuff that takes two people to move a 6x4! Thinking about halving to make them 3x2 which would be much more manageable. What would get through it? A jigsaw?

a jigsaw. We have moved them easily by attaching welding clamps or carpentry G clamps to the edges and then they are easy to drag. If you don't have those then something similar may help to provide "handles" to move them with. I would not see any problem with drilling a hole in each corner and then threading thin rope through to make a "handle"

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
The thicker, heavy duty Stanley knife blades N°1992 should do it.

So would a jigsaw, but you'd need to lift your panels onto a table or workbench of some kind, or slide some thick planks under the sheet to raise it off the floow by a bit more than the length of the blade. Use a slow speed, to start, so that friction against the blade doesn't melt the rubber (I don't know what temperature this material can stand).

Louby

Visit site
Ive got the old thick heavy ones too and have used a stanley knife but the blade wasnt sharp last time we did it so we tried a saw :eek: and it was fab!! It wasnt a big long one, it was a shorter chunkier one, infact it was old and rusty lol but did the job great

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
My mats are 45mm thick.. I used a Stanley knife. Cutting was no problem but you'll need plenty of spare blades.