What can I do about poor quality Prolite boots?

wench

Visit site
I bought a set of front prolite boots about a year ago, and sent them with my horse to his rider for use at comps. Rider used the boots at home, so they got a bit more wear than I was expecting, but they would have been in use max six months.

I've since got the boots back, and to be honest was shocked by the quality of how they have(nt) lasted. The edges of the Velcro straps have all frayed, and have threads hanging off them, and the black outlets are no longer black, they are grey.

Put the boots through washer, thinking that the grey is that icky grey "horse dirt" that appears on stuff. Boots come out the washer still grey.

I'm not a happy bunny that I paid about £60 for these boots and they are in the state that they are in. I have a few options:

Ask local rug repair firm to put new Velcro on which I think they can do. Only (slightly vain) problem here is that there will be nothing to prove the boots are prolite ones.
2. Take back to shop. I don't have a reciept for them, and I'm not 100% sure where I bought them from
3. Contact manufacturers. Which I've done and they haven't responded.

popsdosh

Visit site
Are you 100% sure they are same boots? Only ask as it would not be first horse sent home with old boots.How often have they been in washing machine as they do have a habit of discolouring a bit when washed .

wench

Visit site
Yes I've asked if they are mine, and the answer was yes. It's not so much the discoloured part that's annoying its the frayed straps, although I don't think they will have gone through too many washing cycles

wench

Visit site
Well as all the others came back ok, and were mine, I'd be pretty sure that the prolite ones are mine too!

TheMule

Visit site
My prolites are still going strong 10years later, and that's eithout much TLC!

I,d suggest your boots may have been used as work boots on many different horses

dieseldog

Visit site
The rider didn't have many other horses to ride, so they have not been used day in day out.

You have no idea about how much your boots have been used or who by - you weren't there.

I honestly thought that you were going to say you had owned the boots a month and used them twice - not that you had owned them a year!

kt_p

Visit site
I have a pair of prelates that have done exactly the same thing!!! They have gone a horrid grey colour and straps are badly frayed also. Mine have only been used by my 2 horses at 10 events between them this year so it definitely doesn't have to be from over use.

Unfortunately I don't know who you should get in touch with over this though but if you do get through to prolite i would be very interested in what they have to say!

wench

Visit site
You have no idea about how much your boots have been used or who by - you weren't there.

I honestly thought that you were going to say you had owned the boots a month and used them twice - not that you had owned them a year!

The boots were purchased in about October last year, and would have last been used at the start of feb.

I have some old hind prolite boots that are in a far better state.

I also know exactly what horses the rider had at the time, and unlikely that my boots were in a size that would go on their horses. And by the sounds of it, I'm not the only one with a dodgy pair.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have prolites but I never wash them in the washing machine as scrub up well with being hosed and wiped over. Mine are used daily pretty much as well and I have had them for about a year. They still look immaculate.

Nic

Visit site
Either you got a sub standard pair or they have been used/abused in a way you would not expect. I have 2 pairs of pro lites, 1 pair I bought new & still look new 3 years on, the other I bought 2nd hand 5 years ago which look slightly more grey. Neither have frayed.