What can I do?

Equi

Visit site
Unless the owner is up to doing this seriously and very strictly there is no point. Ive worked in a few kennels, and the amount of badly behaved dogs is unreal...akitas are not allowed in many kennels tbh. We allowed them in one, and they had the hands off kennel and the KO husband walked them because he was a dog handler in the army. I can only say this was because the KO (who had a lot more experience than me) had had too many cases of them being totally unpredictable with little to no warning before turning for what seemed no reason they could tell. But having said that, they also always said that they are a one man dog...and that that one person who "made" them would be the only person to control them...so it might be a good idea for a few people to be "that" person for this dog...however you have to weigh it up and realize that she cant afford much and you don't want to get too invested if its going to take away time you can work earning money.

fankino04

Visit site
How are things progressing OP? Have you managed to arrange a time for the owner walk the dog with you. I definitely think that with that breed mix you are on a hiding to nothing if you don't get her walking him so he gets more than the odd 30 minutes out of the house. Does she work full time? If so the dog must be bouncing off the walls being stuck on his own all day with no exercise, no wonder she finds him overwhelming when she gets home. Good luck with it but if she is as sensitive / delicate as you say then I would think about bringing up the subject of rehoming him as his best option (although agree he may be waiting a very long time). One final thing.... be careful giving training advice as if it goes wrong you could leave yourself wide open for being liable.

Dopeydapple

Visit site
Well we walked him today, I showed her how easy he was in the halti and she had a go, she still found it difficult and kept trying to "hold onto him" all the time rather than relax and just walk with regular corrections when he tried to get ahead but after about 40 mins of being reminded to relax and breath etc it got a bit better, they saw some other dogs and she managed to get him to wait at a safe distance for them to pass and then walk down a different street. When we got in we role played me being a visitor and put a house line on him so she could make him sit with her not jump all over the guest, had a few time outs when he got it wrong but he doesn't seem that bad all things considered. I'm still not convinced that she is forceful enough for him but we did go to the pet shop and get a halti so she can walk him herself so I guess I'll see what happens next...

GirlFriday

Visit site
So pleased about the progress - that is quite a step forwards.

I'd struggle to hold a malamute (really, I've tried with sledding dogs - could just about hold a husky, no way the mal!) so, good work with this (probably gorgeous but) difficult x :)

Dopeydapple

Visit site
His size and breed haven't really been an issue to me as I've got 2 mals of my own to walk together so just having one is a breeze, I've also got clients with huskies and akita X sharpei plus another with 2 GSDs so his size and strength didn't really concern me it was / is working with the owner that's the problem.

oldie48

Visit site
when I first read your post I wanted to say, just walk away, it's not your problem but you have made it your "problem" and I hope it works out well for the dog and his owner. They are so lucky to have found you! good luck and please keep posting regardless of how it turns out long term. Best wishes.x

Dopeydapple

Visit site
Doesn't seem to be going as well as I hoped, I thought we had made progress yesterday but just got a text saying she has taken him out herself and he was too strong and she can't do it on her own yet. I'm puzzled as to the problem coz honestly with a halti he really doesn't pull. I've said we will try again together at the weekend but am feeling a bit of a mug as I should be paid proper training rates for this but she can't afford it and I want the dog to have a better life.

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. I want the dog to have a better life.

It isn't your dog, and how ever laudable your intentions, it isn't your problem. You will end up tearing your hair out and then eventually you may well wish that you'd listened and left the lady concerned to her own devices.

Alec.

pippixox

Visit site
you can't help but help!
they may not actually pull very much- but if the owner is a worrier who is not firm, a gentle pull to you and I can feel like too much for her.
I don't know why people get a dog like an akita x when they are inexperienced and can't exercise it enough - but too late now in this situation!
even just your input and three walks a week is improving their quality of life, even if only small improvements happen due to the owners issues

Moobli

Visit site
All I can say is that this particular owner is lucky to have found you - so many others would have simply walked away. I do hope your input will bring improvement in the dog's life.

Alec Swan

Visit site
…….. I think currently my heart is winning the head and heart battle!!!

We've all fallen victim to that, and even my steely resolve sometimes isn't what it might be!

The odd thing is that it's always been the dogs which are challenging and difficult from which I've learned the most, either by reinforcing my beliefs, or even on occasion turning those beliefs on their heads! :)

Providing that you're prepared for the challenge, keep it up!

Alec.

Dopeydapple

Visit site
Well for anyone wanting an update, dog is actually really easy to walk with halti and getting better each time, on Thursday night I mostly checked him on his collar lead and tried to avoid picking up lead attached to the halti and he responded well. As owner was out for the night I said I would stay with him for a few hours after the walk so he wasn't on his own all day and night and he was a nightmare! Kept trying to climb on top of me on the sofa, hump my leg when ever I stood up. First time I put him in time out when I went to let him in again he was lying settled on the floor so I opened the door and walked away back to the sofa, he got up and sprinted through the dining room and launched over the side of the sofa to land on me. After about 2.5 hours of corrections and time outs he finally settled enough, I dread to think what she lets him get away with but she SAYS she is being stricter and keeping a line on him to deal with him better. Today I walked with her and him and found out the issue last time was that she couldn't figure out how to put the halti on so had put his harness on instead and got dragged everywhere. anyway today's walk went well and although I had to be quite blunt with her about "getting on with it" and not hanging onto him all the time she was quite happy at the end and even said she might take him again today on her own. We did meet one of those Moron owners that just let's their dog wander up to anyone whilst saying how friendly he is. Nothing had happened but she did just stand there like a wet lettuce and I had to take the lead and tell her to walk away, the dog actually seems ok with other dogs but don't really want her in that situation in case something happens.

Dopeydapple

Visit site
OMG just found this thread, I can't believe it was that long ago that I met this boy. We did finally get there with the owner and she took over walking him twice a day (very early and late so as to avoid people initially), she came on some longer walks with us on the odd weekend so we could take him out in the car to nicer spots and let him have some freedom on long lines or to a private dog walking field so he can run off lead. He has turned into a lovely boy ( still a bit OTT sometimes but generally good), she's now got a new partner who adores him and takes him out lots and the 3 of them are currently off on holiday in Wales ?

On the Hoof

Visit site
OMG just found this thread, I can't believe it was that long ago that I met this boy. We did finally get there with the owner and she took over walking him twice a day (very early and late so as to avoid people initially), she came on some longer walks with us on the odd weekend so we could take him out in the car to nicer spots and let him have some freedom on long lines or to a private dog walking field so he can run off lead. He has turned into a lovely boy ( still a bit OTT sometimes but generally good), she's now got a new partner who adores him and takes him out lots and the 3 of them are currently off on holiday in Wales ?
You STAR ***
missed this thread first time around so just read it all. Soo glad it all worked out for the dog.

Reactions: TPO