Hemp hand protector
Hi viz
Sense of humour
Soup in a thermos
My electric blanket

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Waterproof nylon coverall; ideal for bunging on when you've got your decent clothes on and its tipping down with rain and you need to do the Neds before work. You can also ride in it if you're pushed.

Thermal socks

Waterproof waxed hat with a brim round it

Petroleum jelly: ideal for putting on hooves and around where mud fever happens to protect, also good for self for face & hands!

Lynne Russell stain remover

Head torch and spare batteries

Spare leccy fencer battery and some spare stakes: no good realising you need these items at 5pm on a wet dark Sunday night when everything's shut

Coffee and a nip of something in a thermos

WD40: I use it to spray and brush through manes and tails and also spray a thin layer around legs; it will stop mud clinging, dissuade midges (oh yes, there ARE some about!) - and is a helluva lot cheaper than Muddy Buddy. Sainsburys (or any cheap and cheerful) Hairspray will also do the same thing.

A spare rug for the size your horse takes plus thick thread and a needle all ready for emergency repairs!

As per above, a tube of Copydex never comes amiss either; you can mend a hole in your wellies as a temp fix with the stuff

Plenty of thermal underwear plus (must have IMO) Musto thermal joddies; once you've worn these and realise how warm and cosy they are you'll NEVER ever want to take them off again. Well worth the money.

Finally, a hi viz jacket that's waterproof, I've got Rockfish bright pink one with reflective on it. Essential. Plus some for the horse too.

There are probably more, but I've not thought of them, yet!

Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
Its barely felt like winter IMO yet, we've been very lucky so far - its been pretty mild for us! No snow at all yet and theres only been a couple of very cold snaps. It was 13 the other day, thats ridiculous for December in NE Scotland. So I'm not struggling yet, still wearing what I wear rest of the year. The only thing I couldnt live without in winter is electricity and lighting in the stables due to the dark nights. I had a big pile of turnout rugs fixed, washed and reproofed last month which has helped a lot.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
For me
● My light alarm clock - I literally couldn't do mornings without it :D
● Handcream & lip balm
● Vast assortment of thermal base layers - ideally in matchy matchy colours :D
● Vast assortment of headbands, scarves, snoods and buffs. Ditto ideally in matchy matchy colours!
● Decathalon Kipwarm breeches
● Floodlit sandschool
● Using some annual leave to hack in daylight in the week - it's been bliss :)

For my horse:
● Magic brush
● Thermatex
● Red Horse Field Paste

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
Am I the only person on HHO in Buckinghamshire and feeling like we havent had a 'winter' yet? Im probably jinxing it now but its been so mild and dry. The couple of days rain a few days ago has finally turned the fields 'ready' to become muddy but they are out 24/7 so dont really hooey round so I'm a bit 'Meh!' about this winter everyone is talking about, lol!

I have made a super dooper effort to be organised this year being my first winter at home so thermals, workmans boots (my wellies died and I've been using my work boots which rarely see mud at work!) and just being neat and tidy and set in my routine means I'm really not bothered by it being December, so much so I got a 2nd horse last week ... I do feel now I have jinxed it and from now to the middle of next year it will be rotten, lol!

Hard standing in front of open stable doors is the only place my horses will see water and hay, I point blank refuse to put hay out on the grass when I have an open gated yard they can stand on should they tear themselves away from the grass!

AmieeT

Visit site
Toasty jacket (mine is Mountain Horse and I love it because it isn't too bulky but is SUPER warm!).

Pig oil (no sulphur for me, the stuff alone is amazing at stopping mud from sticking to thick feathers!).

My Dad's flask (well actually, it belonged to HIS Dad first of all!), I fill it just with black tea and keep a bottle of milk at the yard as it's cold enough! I also have a thermos cup with a lid so nothing gets into it (and it's bigger than the one of the flask!).

Head warmer band thingy, I find hats too hot, these keep me warm without overheating.

A decent lip balm and hand cream!

Jamesy123

Visit site
We've just had a menage built and I honestly don't know how, with a full time job, I used to keep myself motivated and horses fit without it!

I also can't live without my Musto jacket, clippers for fluffy ponies and GIN!!!

ponies4ever

Visit site
My horse being sensible. Honestly don't think I'd even be alive! Ooh ooh ohh and a hood in my ski coat that fits over my riding hat so only eyes are visible!

Bright_Spark

Visit site
It's not been that cold in Hampshire yet, so haven't needed many of theses - but they are all ready for when winter really kicks in:

Heatholder socks and gloves
Sealskinz waterproof sock and winter riding gloves
Hats, lots of hats or ear warmers
Decent waterproof jacket and overtrousers/ chaps
Waterproof warm breeches
Thermos of tea (first year in a while we've not got tea making facilities)

Turnout boots for the horses - although it's not that muddy where they are now

Doris68

Visit site
My old mare! I miss caring for her and changing her rugs and keeping her happy over Winter and making sure she was warm and well-fed. She was PTS in March 2015 and I miss her so much and looking after her and her presence - I doubt I'll ever stop missing her, no matter what season it is.

Luci07

Visit site
Again ...mustos...unflattering, expensive but when groping around in the cold and and dark in the morning, no others will do..
Ariat Bromonts. Insulated. Means I can ride and still feel my feet
Various pairs of cheap waterproof thin gardening gloves for mucking out, rugs etc
Properly fitting warm and waterproof pink hi viz riding coat
Thermatex quarter sheet, easy to out, and can be removed if horse starts to cook when schooling.
Spare turn out rugs, because your horse or his mates will always do something to it when you have a no money b need it NOW!
Pig Oil (no sulphur). Best way of keeping mudfever at bay
Selection of insulated thermos mugs. Makes the mornings more bearable.

Jellibean

Visit site
I have neatly tucked away my beautiful Celeris boots as I cant bare to get a bit of mud on them, so back to my Ariat Bromonts which are insulated and keep my toes proper toasty.

Also I have a really warm yard jacket I got from Robinsons a few years ago for £25 - Its a Cooperfield Equestrian one, don't think the Brand exists anymore but its soo warm and washes up like new every time. Not very waterproof but excellent on cold dry days!