What car?

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
So the lorry is going tomorrow (I'm swapping back to tow car and trailer) and I'm stressing about what car to go for! Had a couple of discos which I've LOVED but have cost me a small fortune in repairs :( thinking maybe an X5? I'd like to keep it under £2500 if poss, any suggestions?

Will probably be picking up a 505 and mainly carrying a fat Highland and not quite as fat Sec D, approx 1100kg in horse to be on the safe side. I think 505's all tend to be under 1000kg?

asmp

Visit site
We had an old X5 for years and towed all over the country. I really liked driving it but it did seem to get through tyres. In the end it had to go as the electrics were failing and it was going to be harder and harder to get it through its MOT. We now have a VW Touareg which has even more towing power.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've just been through this and literally didnt know where to start. I loved my Disco, but I got lucky with mine and didnt want to risk ending up with more repair bills than the car was worth. I've gone for an xtrail, but I'm only towing an absolute max of 1500kgs. It will tow up to 2200kgs, but I'd want more to pull 2. It is lovely to drive though and the most comfortable car I've ever sat in!

2.5k is that sort of danger point where its too much to lose if you buy something that needs writing off, but not enough to buy anything newer. We spent 5k in the end, having previously bought tow cars for £500 and ran them until they needed expensive repairs.

I did hear good things about X5s. We intended to look at a Sorrento but it had been sold and proably a lucky escape as feedback is very mixed!

Lintel

Visit site
I would second the x-trail!👍

Plenty of folks round here have the half dead Mitsibushi Shogun .... and it's still running with the abuse that they give it!

Have also heard good things about the sorrento. I would avoid BMW... more expensive to repair. I have a ford Kuga which has been superb but I appreciate it is abit on the line for what you want to be pulling 👍

ClumsyPonyPF

Visit site
Came on to write a similar post to this. I’ve just bought a 505 and looking for my first towing car, that won’t cost me a fortune to run on a daily basis! I’ve heard lots of good things about the Volkswagen Tiguan 2010 or newer has a 2000kg capacity and the auto was lovely to drive but I can’t seem to find one within my budget. Lots of people rave about the Touareg I find but it’s not as economic on fuel but apparently is fab to tow. Also the Sorrento seems to have good reviews.

I’m interested to know if anyone has towed with a Hyundai ix35 as they seem a good weight with a 2l towing 2000kg and a good price. The Hyundai Tucson is a good price too but not sure about towing reviews!

Hope that helps a bit and if anyone can advise on my questions that would be fab.

Would be interested to hear what you decide on!

still standing

Visit site
I tow with a Hyundai Tucson which has a 2/4 wheel optional drive, 2L engine, and would not recommend it. I use it to tow an IW 506 with one 500kg horse. It does the job but always feels a bit underpowered.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I would second the x-trail!👍

I've just had chance to take mine for a proper drive for the first time. I absolutely love it! Its incredibly comfortable and so quick for a big car. I havent had chance to tow with it yet but I cant see it being an issue. Ive had a terrano and a disco and this blows them both away. I'm so pleased with it!

riversideeu

Visit site
I tow a 506 with a Hyundai Santa Fe and it is very good. We did a lot of research and the only 2 reasonably priced powerful enough cars for me were Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento.

Abi90

Visit site
I have VW Touareg and it’s awesome. You can pick up older ones for a good price and the spec is pretty good. Mine is 13 years old and it’s a much nicer car than the 5 yr old car I sold to buy it

patseyr

Visit site
Best of luck with the disco, they are a great jeep, I know they are not without their problems however they have a great online help community and if you can find a good mechanic close you can get some great value machines!!

gemisastar

Visit site
I tow with a Ssangyong Rexton, just to throw something else into the mix. Mine is a 2004 and although old has been pretty reliable, only needing standard wear and tear work done which I'd expect due to its age. It is rated for 3.5 tonnes, you can pick them up pretty cheaply - not the prettiest of cars but it has a Mercedes engine in it.