What clip for thin skinned but good doer EMS fatty?

ponyparty

Visit site
I know, another clipping thread, zzz.... Don't want to hijack someone else's though.

Horse has EMS, needs to lose some serious condition this winter to give us the best chance of managing his weight in spring.

He's thin skinned and sensitive, doesn't like the rain on his back and doesn't have any shelter in his turnout area. Therefore he will need to be rugged - even if just a no-fill rainsheet.

He's also a ridiculously good doer for his type, and grows a very fluffy winter coat. On an in-hand, walk-only hack over the weekend he was very warm!

Last winter he was blanket clipped, but quite late. He didn't lose enough weight, and in spring he ballooned. I probably did over-rug though, panicking about the snowy weather and everyone else on my old yard doing the same. I'm going to be a lot tougher with rugging this year.

So far I've come up with the following options... What would you do?

a) Hunter clip now and no fill rainsheet, going up to 100g when it gets cold. Re-clip (maybe just a trace, depending on what the weather's doing) later in winter if necessary.
b) Trace clip and try not to rug as much as possible... He will make it known (by pratting around) if he isn't enjoying being out naked though, and I'm worried that this won't be enough hair coming off for him to lose weight if he's got a rug on as well.
c) Other, better option that I haven't thought of!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Chaser clip takes off slightly more than a trace, but you can still turn out naked in nicer winter weather. My EMS pony isn't clipped at all. I just rug him minimally (he has a shelter, though).

Scarlett

Visit site
I know, another clipping thread, zzz.... Don't want to hijack someone else's though.

Horse has EMS, needs to lose some serious condition this winter to give us the best chance of managing his weight in spring.

He's thin skinned and sensitive, doesn't like the rain on his back and doesn't have any shelter in his turnout area. Therefore he will need to be rugged - even if just a no-fill rainsheet.

He's also a ridiculously good doer for his type, and grows a very fluffy winter coat. On an in-hand, walk-only hack over the weekend he was very warm!

Last winter he was blanket clipped, but quite late. He didn't lose enough weight, and in spring he ballooned. I probably did over-rug though, panicking about the snowy weather and everyone else on my old yard doing the same. I'm going to be a lot tougher with rugging this year.

So far I've come up with the following options... What would you do?

a) Hunter clip now and no fill rainsheet, going up to 100g when it gets cold. Re-clip (maybe just a trace, depending on what the weather's doing) later in winter if necessary.
b) Trace clip and try not to rug as much as possible... He will make it known (by pratting around) if he isn't enjoying being out naked though, and I'm worried that this won't be enough hair coming off for him to lose weight if he's got a rug on as well.
c) Other, better option that I haven't thought of!

I have the same issue. Big Tb who hates getting wet and can get cold, but didn't get clipped last year, got very fat due to lack of work due to lami due to EMS (if that makes sense?!) thus vicious circle. Currently planning to full clip and use lighter rugs than before. He's already looking porky again so upping his work load and he is getting sweaty....

ponyparty

Visit site
Thanks all, for your input :)

I have the same issue. Big Tb who hates getting wet and can get cold, but didn't get clipped last year, got very fat due to lack of work due to lami due to EMS (if that makes sense?!) thus vicious circle. Currently planning to full clip and use lighter rugs than before. He's already looking porky again so upping his work load and he is getting sweaty....

Yes, makes sense and sounds very similar to mine! Everything is a balancing act.

I can't up workload at the moment, too pregnant :( he's ticking over with groundwork/lunging and I hope to get back on January/February time. Until then I've got to use what tools I can to get the weight off him.

I'm leaning towards the hunter clip option (I like to leave legs on) - and then maybe a chaser, rather than a trace, when I re-clip later in winter.

It does seem a shame to take it all off right now, but it's so mild, he's even getting warm just being walked in hand...