what clip vs rugs do you have on at the moment?

Theocat

Visit site
Tb x, chaser clipped, 180g standard neck turnout day and night. Out during the day and in at night, and plenty warm enough. He'll get a Lycra vest on as the next step, and only a neck if it's truly horrible.

Misog2000

Visit site
TB x Highland, full clip bar legs and half head, was in 100g PE with no neck, now she's been re clipped and it's dropped a bit I have added a 100g liner. She is a warm horse though and never seems to need too many rugs. I don't do neck covers as they rub her mane out and I need to be able to plait through the winter

WelshD

Visit site
My native pony (yes native, from the new forest) who is fully clipped is currently wearing a combo fleece, no neck normal fleece and a h/w no neck stable rug.

One of my welshies is not convinced that he is a native pony either - he is a bit rubbish with bad weather. The other one is happy to go through all weathers with no rug

Dizzleton

Visit site
WB has a 450g full neck on day/night - He's fully clipped, bar legs and face.

When it's really cold he'll have 450g, 360g stable rug and a fleece/snuggy jams on.

turkana

Visit site
22 year old anglo arab, built like a whippet but with decent winter coat, weight about right - naked
6 year old anglo arab, heavier build but with quite a fine coat, a bit fat - also naked

They are the only naked horses at the yard, I can feel my ears burning!

xTrooperx

Visit site
Unsure of clip name sort of high bib clip.. But in med combo was out without neck but then the storm/rain came, out 24/7.
Clip is half head whole neck off, chest & belly, from neck towards belly but quite steep , done to her & where she sweats.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Grey OAP Cushingoid - fully clipped except for head and legs is in a MW turnout with neck during the day and has a fleece or under rug put under it at night with magnet leg wraps behind. Her rugs will be increased as and when if needed but shes quite warm generally and wriggles out of rugs if she's too warm and gets itchy.

5YO TB doing her best Sec A impression is the same rugs but unclipped - feels the cold bless her!

TBH, feed plays a massive part in warmth as well as rugging.. no use piling rugs on if you're not feeding enough.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
All the clips have grown out now as they were done a month ago, but due to be reclipped within the next couple of days ! All live out 24/7

Connemara pony- hunter clip, LW combo with MW standard on top.
ISH- Full clip, no fill sheet plus 250g combo on top. The extra layer keeps him so much warmer!
Native x Warmblood pony - hunter clipped 300g combo

When they are reclipped I have the HW combos as the ready in case the temperature drops below freezing, but i'm trying to keep the rugs minimal as possible without them getting cold.

MiniMilton

Visit site
5yo mini is fully clipped (except for legs and half face) with mw rug. living out.
8yo connemara cross, neck and belly clip. No fill rain sheet. living out.
19yo connemara and 22 yo draught cross are unclipped and unrugged. Living out. I might start looking for their no fill rain sheets this month. The draught cross only tolerates it in extreme cold wet conditions though.

None of mine are getting hard feed or hay. Still too much grass and they are still fat. They get a cup of speedie beet to mix in their pro hoof supplement.

Iced_coffee

Visit site
Unclipped tb. He's a big wimp though so he has a 100g stable rug with a HW turnout on top. No neck though. At night he has an extra fleece put underneath.

SuperH

Visit site
Welsh D, not clipped as yet as minimal coat. No fill turnout in the day and in at night in a 100g.

Same pony was turned away to mature last winter with no rugs and was lovely and fluffy by now.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
20yo cob, 16yo Suffolk cross, and 5yo native type, all out unclipped and naked. They do need clipping really now, but am trying to wait until they start coming in at night before I do it. Will then be rugged accordingly, but generally will only have MW with necks.

bgb

Visit site
Fully clipped. 200g turnout on over a 200g under rug - out during day and in at night. Clip re-grows in about 4-5 weeks as he is a cold horse.

Megibo

Visit site
Mine are on a 2 in 2 out basis (so 2 go out in field whilst other 2 stay in and get ridden, then swap the next day. All in at night). Non clipped TB still out in a rain sheet unless its cold then she wears her horseware duo rug with 200 liner. It's still not quite cold yet here..
Fully clipped Irish Cob, all hair off including legs etc-100g standard neck turnout rug during day, something slightly warmer at night though she's naturally a hot horse.
Welsh D clipped (half face and line from withers to stifle) 100g full neck weatherbeeta turnout during day and similar weight stable at night-though if her turnout is wet she keeps that on like today.
18 month old ID x Cob, full clip with head and legs left on, lives in a 200g standard neck turnout though could do with something lighter as again is very hot naturally.

xRobyn

Visit site
Welsh Cob, chaser clipped (half head, all of neck, chest, shoulders and between his front legs/under belly) in nada. Still fat, even being muzzled!!

He is getting v fluffy, nearly grown his clip out despite it only being done a month ago, so he probably is cold but it's his SI I have to be careful about and his bum is nice and toasty so the rest is ok!

Lissa

Visit site
Both fully clipped apart from legs, highland was naked up till yesterday on box rest now has just a fleece on. He's on a serious weight loss plan and actually could manage without the fleece but makes my mum feel better!

Connemara is pretty much living out bar a couple of hours most days to be fed and has a 100g combo on, will be having a fleece hood on when I next see him on friday.

Fat_Pony

Visit site
Hanoverian is trace clipped and in 100g combo. Appy is unclipped and doesn't have much of a coat, but is naked. Shetty is naked of course

Pidgeon

Visit site
ISH more TB than ID, full clip bar legs and half face. In sheet with neck cover, out 24/7, he spends most of the winter in this rug even when down to -14! and is plenty warm enough.

cob&onion

Visit site
My cob has this clip except the clip is stopped just passed the girth area and not all the way back as pictured, plus she is hogged.

292uwpi.jpg

She is out 24/7 and has a 100 gram shires rug.
Its gone cooler here the past few days, approx 5 - 8 degrees daytime and 2 - 4 degrees night time. When it drops freezing of a night and days are below 4 she will move to her high neck mw. The welsh d and section a are naked.

castella

Visit site
Welsh b pony fully clipped except for half head and half legs (we do a strip down the back of legs to remove really hairy bits :) ) in a MW turnout combo, out during the day and stays in the same rug when stabled over night.

I have a HW combo at the ready this year as he really dropped off last winter but it wasn't so bad as he wasn't in full work, but this year he is so I want to keep his weight maintained. Could also add a fleece underneath if needed to.

BBP

Visit site
Just out of interest, I wonder with all the different clip/rug Connie, what the rug linings are? In the coldest parts of the last 2 yrs, my grows no real coat Spanish pony felt way more toasty in his no neck 100g rug with cotton lining than in his 200g full neck shiny lined weatherbeeta freestyle. I'm lucky that despite his inabilty to grow anything other than a little fluff, he never seems cold...and if he is hes more than happy to gallop around to warm up!