What clip would you recommend??

What should i wear??

• Total voters

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
For my mare who will live out apart from on very cold/ wet days, has a tendancy to lose weight, but box walks if in.

She will be worked 4-5 times a week, with probably 2 hacks, 1 lunging and 1 or 2 hour long schooling sessions per week.

ALSO- i have a feeling she won't like the clippers
smirk.gif
So how much does sedalin work??

And how many times do you generally have to clip through winter?? As she is my first horse and has never been clipped, but she does sweat up easily.

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

AutumnRose

Visit site
I would do a trace. I had a blanket on my tb mare last winter and that was probably by far enough off. She was in at night every night and was show jumping or dressagin most weekends and ridden 6 days per week. If they're out nearly all the time i don't think you should take much more off.

Good luck with the clippers
grin.gif

Ezme

Visit site
A low trace clip would be plenty i should think. As for sedaline, a tube does our chunky boys so i wouldn't use any more than that. Only thing is with it, it has to be used in the right circumstances, not adrenaline in horses system at all and leave them quiet, at no point go into thier stable (wherever you sedated them) for half hour otherwise it doesn't work very well.

Silverspring

Visit site
A trace unless you have a rug with a full neck then you could probably manage with a blanket. You'd be amazed at how some horse's done mind the clipping when they are fruit loops about other things (bird flying out of hedges for example
wink.gif
) maybe try her in the yard when another horse is being clipped or just with the clippers on to see hwo she reacts. I always avoid sedation unless totally necessary, can be worth spending time getting her used to it?

maddielove

Visit site
Personally I'd look at where she sweats up most (i.e neck, bum etc) and clip accordingly.

My mare used to live out with a similar workload and she had a chaser then a blanket clip.

With regards to how many times, I clip early (before the clock change) as she has the coat of a mammoth and have to clip twice. Normally End of october and again at the end of December/january.

Have no idea about sedalin but my mare has gradually been weaned off sedation for clipping. First time she was dangerous and we couldn't clip as much as we wanted. She now falls asleep when I do a full clip without sedation
laugh.gif

pocket

Visit site
I'd go for a trace if she's going to be out a lot and have a few practice sessions with the clippers running first and introduce gradually, good luck
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
If in doubt, start with a bib clip; and if she is still sweaty you can always take more off later.
I don't like to clip their heads (although clipping below lip to ear is ok) or legs out if they live out...
To get her used to the clippers, you could start by running an electric toothbrush next to her feedbowl at feed times, then quiet clippers, then normal ones, then hold them against her and so on. This way she'll associate them with positive things.
S
grin.gif

Ravenwood

Visit site
I always try to stick with a chaser clip and lower half of face. I always think that if their back and loins are covered its much safer if they are out in the elements.

joeanne

Visit site
yup trace. but sedalin sucks, had to use it on a mare with an abcess recently and despite waiting 2 hours and giving almost double the dose, i still got flattened!

thedunthing

Visit site
i give two of mine sedalin one of them to have head clipped and the other to have her mane pulled and it seems to work rather well its not fantastic but it does take the edge off them. and i would go with a trace and  see how she goes, i THINK mine usually get clipped twice during the winter not sure though

Kate260881

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
To get her used to the clippers, you could start by running an electric toothbrush next to her feedbowl at feed times, then quiet clippers, then normal ones, then hold them against her and so on. This way she'll associate them with positive things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, I'm liking this... may have to try this before clipping my girl for the first time
laugh.gif

Sit_Up

Visit site
I would start with a bib for 2 reasons. If you are not sure how she is going to react to being clipped, it is quicker and you avoid the tickly/fiddly bits under the belly. i would try without the sedalin to start and just introduce her slowly to the clippers.

If she needs more off then you can move onto a trace and then a higher trace or a blanket. As the others have suggested I would not take more than this off, unless in very hard work and stabled.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Not going to suggest anymore types of clip
smile.gif

But she might surprise you re not liking the clippers. One of ours is a total loon in some respects, doesn't like narrow gateways, and is still a bit headshy. But he falls asleep when you clip him (well, as long as you don't go up near his ears too much
wink.gif
)

Much easier to acclimatise them to them as shils suggested instead of jumping straight in with a sedative imo.
smile.gif
Again, mine was a bit edgy the first time we clipped him (think it was the first time he was ever clipped actually
shocked.gif
) but he now also falls asleep when you do it. Maybe my conversational skills are just a natural sedative.....

ladyt25

Visit site
Depends what her winter coat's like and how much she sweats up really. If thinnish coated and not excessive sweater then i would just do neck and belly. If liable to sweat up more then a high trace (although is fiddly over the flanks etc if you're not used to clipping).

Do not 'think' she won't like the clippers, just get on with it and do it quietly and calmly, do NOT make a big deal out of it if she doesn't like it, just carry on. If you have not clipped her before andyou don't know if she's been clipped either then I would suggest starting now having the clippers on when you are grooming and holding thjem close to her when you're brushing her to desensitise her to the noise.

I believe that most horses do not need sedating to be honest. Of all the ones we've had we've never had to sedate. My sister's horse had never been clipped when we got him so we just did a low chase/tracer clip to start with as he wasn't over keen at all but we just kept clipping. Nowadays (and by the 2nd clip actually) he stands still and falls asleep.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, I'm liking this... may have to try this before clipping my girl for the first time
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell I used to work for a vet, one of whose business ideas was to advertise for problem horses for me to clip?
S
grin.gif

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try Shilasdairs idea and see if I can borrow some clippers to have near her. I will be getting someone in to clip her from another yard as I have absoloutely no experience and would probably end up cutting her to ribbons
crazy.gif
tongue.gif
Never been taught see
tongue.gif