What colour? (**GROSS CONTENT ALERT**)

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Ok, following on from my swollen sheath post, I cleaned Benj's bits with the KY (this is brill BTW). For a horse who doesn't like his bit cleaned, he rather enjoyed this so it was probably quite uncomfortable.
So my question (making me
blush.gif
) What colour is the gunk inside supposed to be?
What I got out was ranging from pink to red. From where I have cleaned him in the past it has been pretty much the same colour, but this time it did have an odour to it!!
I need the vet in the next couple of weeks for his jabs so will get it checked out.
Oh, his sheath did go down after I had worked him, just concerned about the smeggy stuff!
crazy.gif

P x

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Eeep! Panic not!

In my late teens I had a spotted horse and I had the EXACT same scare with him (and it really was a scare). Seriously, I thought he had internal bleeding or something as it could have passed for dry blood.

His also varied from a kind of creamy / grey, to pink to red and he was perfectly healthy. I also asked both my YO and vet at the time (as I went screaming down the yard thinking my horse was dying), and they both said he was fine and it was just because he was primarily white.

judymoon

Visit site
in my experience and i've done a few! it does have an odour, not bad but an odour none the less! it can range from crusty to waxy and colour from black to purpley to pink etc i think what you have described semms kinda normal

Theresa_F

Visit site
Cairo - ranges from creamy to dark brown depending on how long it has been.

Chancer - normally icky black and often filled with mud and grit. If it is done regularly, more of a creamy colour.

Not a bad smell but I often stick the hose up the sheath in summer after riding - Cairo loves having it done on a hot day and Chancer often shows his appreciation (so to speak).

Irishcobs

Visit site
What colour is the skin, normally not when its sore or anything?

Gyp has pink skin and his yuck is normally a creamy/pink colour. If its dry, like on his actually willy its a more yellow/ brown colour.
Cob at college has black skin and he had black yuck.
Not had a umpleasment smell before.

I'd be worried if it was bright blood red. Particulary if he was swollen there. Best get the vet to check if he's coming out anyway.