what colour is this horse?

pixy

Visit site
hi everyone,
used to own this horse as a 4 year old sold him when he was 6 to the usa.
when we had him he was always steal grey and is the colour in his book, now hes gone white with age as most greys do but it has unveiled some spots and brown markings. i love different horse colours and just think his colour now is so pretty but what would you call it?

[Content removed]

and him as a 5 year old just for comparison

b6e1248c-668e-4652-9f42-d4cb180f70ec_zps41d3502d.jpg

and here is his breeding for anyone interested Ekstein (KWPN) out of Tims Cavalier (ISH), by Cavalier Royale (HOLST)
both his sire and sire of dam are bay

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
How pretty. The grey gene is dominant and so one parent at least has to be grey. Are you sure about the colour of the parents?

ETA just realised you said the sire of the DAM, so his dam must have been grey.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Looks to me like bloody shoulder marks ?? I think, don't quote me, it is due to something similar to fleabitten when bits of the coat go back to the base colour. Was he chesnut when born? How are they bred as lots of funny spot like marks are seen in TBs http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/ecg_basics4.html what do you think about the random spotty bits at the bottom of the link?
Stunning horse btw.

Last edited:

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Have no idea - but just want to say what a very lovely and striking looking horse!

And also, what the the stirrups in the early photo - they look like a modern peacock version, but minus the elastics!!

Last edited:

pixy

Visit site
sorry wagtail should have said dam was grey.

clobellsandbaubles nearly 100percent sure he was dark grey-black when born although my memory isnt that great. have the breeding under the last pic, tb on his dams side. but sire was KWPN

pixy

Visit site
Thanks nugget la poneh, he is a pretty boy alright!
no idea what kind of stirrups he had then but he would always have the newest gadget going so could be anything lol!!

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Not so sure about the bloody shoulder now having a closer look as it would have been present all along and the other marks are quite discrete and round. Maybe it is the fleabitten bits all being expressed close together as this can happen with the sooty gene but thats just a theory will have to wait for more expert opinion I think. He's definitely grey but maybe with a slightly unusual modifier thrown in there.

pixy

Visit site
Thanks guys!!

i was looking at that link, ClobellsandBaubles and was thinking maybe the dark spots are bend or spots? Thanks for the link some amazing markings on those horses.

just wondering if he has some gene that causes these spots/markings where would he have got it from if his parents and grandparents are normal bay/grey horses with no markings like these?

Dogrose

Visit site
The browner marking on the flank looks like a bloody mark but the others don't. Interesting horse, the genetics gurus on Horse Grooming Supplies would probably have more of an idea.

texas

Visit site
Interested in this thread, I have a 13 year old white grey who has developed some chesnut spots/splodges over the last year on her neck/shoulders. Thought I'd not bathed her properly at first!

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Thanks guys!!

i was looking at that link, ClobellsandBaubles and was thinking maybe the dark spots are bend or spots? Thanks for the link some amazing markings on those horses.

just wondering if he has some gene that causes these spots/markings where would he have got it from if his parents and grandparents are normal bay/grey horses with no markings like these?
It could be a mutation that has just occured in him or be recessive, or not be expressed with the bay colouring again just ideas. Currently writing an essay on genetic therapy but this is far more interesting.

pixy

Visit site
It could be a mutation that has just occured in him or be recessive, or not be expressed with the bay colouring again just ideas. Currently writing an essay on genetic therapy but this is far more interesting.

haha thanks clobellsandbaubles didnt mean to take you away from your work!! ;) it is really interesting though!!

heres the pic again and another one, i do have the rights to the first pic even though it is watermarked its my aunts picture which ive been given full rights too :) sorry i didnt mention that in the first post completely forgot it was even watermarked

c6d78894-afd0-495a-a670-e07ea9eef580_zpsb72f8b08.jpg

ceeb4699-91ce-44d7-9042-7c0bfc6b4166_zpsa7c00e38.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That's really interesting - thanks for posting. :)

My grey has a couple of large fleabites, but this boy has so many more. I agree that the marking on the flank looks like it could be a bloody shoulder mark.

natmac84

Visit site
my old boy used to be steel grey (almost back) but with ages as greys do he went alsmost white - he to in the summer would get brown flecks through him almost like he was flee bitten grey - he never let go of the back back fetlocks though xx