What Colour Is This Pony?

sasquatch

Visit site
looking through old photos, found one of one of the RS ponies at my old yard that I took 2-3 years ago.

now she never had a colour, was just known as 'odd'
I called her spotted, others called her grey, however the years I knew her at the RS she never greyed out like the steel greys did.

so, any ideas? was very curious after finding a photo of her!

roxy_stock_2_by_21gunsart-d50qy54.jpg

Shay

Visit site
Can't see the hooves in the grass but the eyes don't seem to have the white sclera - although that could be the photo. All Appaloosas have striped hooves and a white rim to the eye. If those were present than fallenangel is spot on. It looks just like a snowflake. But of the hooves are solid colour and no white sclera I would say a blue roan with bird catcher spots? They won't lighten with age - but roans usually have a darker head and this one doesn't.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would guess that she is black sabino. Sabino causes roaning in some horses and she may just have larger patches of white hairs making her look spotty. My forsst thought was that she was grey, but as you said she never greyed out, sabino is my second guess.

sasquatch

Visit site
I would guess that she is black sabino. Sabino causes roaning in some horses and she may just have larger patches of white hairs making her look spotty. My forsst thought was that she was grey, but as you said she never greyed out, sabino is my second guess.

as far as I know she never greyed out, I left the yard last year - but the few years I knew her she never greyed out.

I think oddity is the best way to describe her, never thought she could be sabino or roan but roan does seem quite possible

from what I remember, she did have spots on her eyes and muzzle, which were pink and grey - hooves I'm not sure on, but they may well have been striped.

Barnacle

Visit site
Appies only have striped hooves if they do not have white leg markings and if they are heterozygous for the Lp gene. Otherwise the hooves are the usual "shell" color of a horse with white leg markings (which this one clearly has) or normal solid grey so that wouldn't be an indicator. Snowflake appaloosa is also only a phase - it's the effect of varnish roan and those horses usually roan out with age. A few do stay subtle though so it's possible and this does look a lot more like a snowflake than a sabino roan. And I can see just a little bit of what looks like pink mottling around the eyes when I zoom in, which is a good appy indicator on a dark coat.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
She looks quite similar to a black roan I used to know. Just with a few more white hairs giving her the spotty look.

GemG

Visit site
Appies only have striped hooves if they do not have white leg markings and if they are heterozygous for the Lp gene. Otherwise the hooves are the usual "shell" color of a horse with white leg markings (which this one clearly has) or normal solid grey so that wouldn't be an indicator. Snowflake appaloosa is also only a phase - it's the effect of varnish roan and those horses usually roan out with age. A few do stay subtle though so it's possible and this does look a lot more like a snowflake than a sabino roan. And I can see just a little bit of what looks like pink mottling around the eyes when I zoom in, which is a good appy indicator on a dark coat.

Agree ^^^

She will most likely get more and more 'snowflakey ' as the years pass ....