What colour saddlepad on a grey horse? Help

Sammy1983

Visit site
Hey everyone as title really. I've come to the realisation that my lovely White saddlepad makes my very clean (honest) grey horse look grimy, so I'm thinking of changing. What do you use on yours for dressage? Pictures appreciated, I'm currently thinking brown or cream but am open to other ideas suggestions for what you find works. Thank you :)

Sammy1983

Visit site
BD rules state white/cream or a dark conservative colour. So we have a little more leaway that DI give you. Although sometimes I think it'd be easier if you didn't have any choice :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hey everyone as title really. I've come to the realisation that my lovely White saddlepad makes my very clean (honest) grey horse look grimy, so I'm thinking of changing. What do you use on yours for dressage? Pictures appreciated, I'm currently thinking brown or cream but am open to other ideas suggestions for what you find works. Thank you :)

Same here. No one is looking to see how grimy your horse is. Honestly... I have done tests and placed well just chucking horse into trailer and currycombing the mud off. I've realised that a dapple grey horse doesn't look any cleaner even if you chucked bleach on it. So why bother. I won a county show once and all i did was brush and comb her tail.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
You don't have to have a square on, why not just use a saddle shaped sheepskin. That is what I do on a common cob who looks ridiculous in a dressage square. He is black and the white square cuts him in half and makes him look dumpy.

oldie48

Visit site
Black or navy if you have black tack, dark brown if you use brown tack. I'd also consider jacket colour so Black if a Black jkt, navy if a navy jkt or brown if Brown jkt. I would not use white with a grey.

LeneHorse

Visit site
You don't have to have a square on, why not just use a saddle shaped sheepskin. That is what I do on a common cob who looks ridiculous in a dressage square. He is black and the white square cuts him in half and makes him look dumpy.

I agree that the more rounded types don't really suit square saddlecloths. I always ride mine in a numnah for that reason. She looks pregnant in a saddlecloth. She is a fleabitten grey and brown actually suits her very well as a colour. She has brown tack as well. If your grey is very white, dark navy might look quite nice.

Lego

Visit site
On my chestnut skewbald I use an HKM champagne saddlecloth - looks nice and smart but doesn't make his white look grubbier. Also have a lovely sheep edged black fleece numnah (?ruggles) that looks great.

nikkimariet

Visit site
BD rules = light pad (being white, cream or champagne) or conservative dark (being black, charcoal, dark brown, dark blue, dark green and dark red).

Curiously, you are allowed the same (dark) colours for jackets also :)

I'm a traditionalist and think white looks best on all horses, and have never thought it makes a light coloured horse look dirty.

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
well i am going for bright red edged in yellow, for my two greys, then i might get a red baroque bridle as frilly as possible, who wants to do boring bhs dressage in horrible colours, then i may get some green suede boots with tassles on for myself, if they zipped up the colours and made it more interesting maybe more people would want to watch it, why should people be told what to wear!

years ago i turned out my darkish bay in white because it suited him.