What comes first, Vet or Dentist

Witchy

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've taken on a younger that will be 2yo in April this year, he's a Bodmin Moor boy so is a mixture of all things Bodmin! I've no idea how big he will get and I guess I won't know until he stops growing (or is there a magic trick to figure out how big he will get?)

Out of the four of them (that are all together) he is noticably thinner with his spine promanent and is very hippy. My yard owner brought him with his other three buddies to the yard where I keep my horse. Since deciding to take him on I've been spending a lot of time with him and starting to notice different things about him.

He comfortable in his herd and is happy to fight his own corner with the others so he's not being pushed away from food etc. However I noticed when he is eating, there is a clicking in his jaw, like mowlers clicking together.

So, as an untame boy, what would you do first, get the vet to come and sedate him and give him the once over, or get the dentist out to deal with the tooth (can a vet sedate?) and just carry on with what I'm currently doing.

Have not had a youngster before so appreciate any experiences you've had etc. This first week I've been bonding with him is going well, he knows me now and follows me around in the paddock and watches me a lot. He now eats hay and straw out of my hands.