What consitutes a 5 or 10* home?

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
As above really.
I am tentantively looking for an unassuming 14hish low level allrounder (pref 'fizzy' sort of mare) and sort of assumed that I could offer a good home.
I am an experienced and qualified light weight former professional and keep my 3 retired horses/ponies at home out 24/7 on chalk grazing with good fencing and access to a field shelter, adequate rugs if required and as much hay/ hard feed as necessary. They have regular farrier visits (6-8 weeks all unshod), dental care, vacs, worm counts etc. etc. and access to direct fantastic off-road hacking.
However I don't have stables (although I could secure one in an emergency about 75m away on a local yard) or an arena (though available as above). Also have excellent equine vet hospital about 20 mins box ride away.
From reading adverts it seems that sellers want their horses/ponies to go to places with all singing and dancing facilities and it makes me feel that what I can offer a potential purchase is a distinctly sub-standard sort of home - tbf my retirees do look a bit scruffy atm under their fly rugs and masks.
I see so many adverts saying so and so loves their stable and needs to come in at night and so on it makes me wonder what sellers are expecting from potential purchasers.
Thoughts?

Visit site
For me it would be nothing to do with amazing facilities. As long as the grazing was safe and well maintained, there was a stable to use (depending on the horse) and the horses was going to be well respected and looked after with great care and given plenty of attention by a competent person, this would be my idea of a 5/10* home.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Interesting topic .
You also see must go to a competitive home always makes me think it’s a unpredicable horse ,must go to a showing home that one makes me think it’s so fat that thats only people who would want it.
For me if you sell a horse you do your best to place it where it should be but then it’s in the lap of the gods .
I would not worry about selling a horse to OP in fact my Tb J is on loan in a similar set up there is no stable but he could go to a friends down the road if he needed to.
He had not ever wintered out when he went away and I was ready to bring him home at any time I still am but he’s settled well there and they have lovely old parkland ideal for him.

McFluff

Visit site
Of all the horses I‘ve known throughout my life, I’ve only met one that wouldn’t have been good in your set up. And thats only because he was super talented so had been a top competition horse and was institutionalised- by the time I met him, he’d had 15 years of stabled life and just couldn’t cope with turnout (his new owner did try and managed to get him to accept an hour). It was sad.
most well adjusted horses would thrive in your set up.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Those adverts which say "5* home only" annoy the hell out of me. What does that mean? It's not like the Michelin guide or Trip Advisor is running around barns rating horse owners. And who is going to think, "Oh, well, I can only offer it a 2* home so I'm not going to inquire about that horse." Everyone thinks they are the best owner, ever. Everyone who owns horses thinks that.

I read that and think, "The seller is a tw*t." And like everyone else, I am, of course, the best owner, ever.

Last edited:

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Those adverts which say "5* home only" annoy the hell out of me. What does that mean? It's not like the Michelin guide or Trip Advisor is running around barns rating horse owners. And who is going to think, "Oh, well, I can only offer it a 2* home so I'm not going to inquire about that horse." Everyone thinks they are the best owner, ever. Everyone who owns horses thinks that.

I read that and think, "The seller is a tw*t." And like everyone else, I am, of course, the best owner, ever.
Would be funny to reply to one of those and say
"I can only offer a 3* home because I do neglect my horses a bit but not massively "
Of course everyone thinks they are the best owner ever.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I guess, maybe, in defence of the phrase, people use it to deter dealers or people they think will sell straight on again?

I guess so, bit like 'forever home' which is pretty hypocritical coming from a seller. I presume what they actually mean is also 'home who isn't buying to sell on'.

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
Thank you all for your lovely and reassuring replies. I was beginging to feel that all I could say was yes I would love to buy your ponio and than I will 'dump' it in a field (which gets poo picked twice a day).
Strangely I also have a very 'hot-housed' formerly high level competiiton event horse (my avitar) who I never for a moment thought would adapt to roughing it out outside (he was such a delicate flower) but he has suprised me by turning out to be a suprisingly robust easy keeper who needs way less rugging than I would have thought and is actually a naturally warm horse and a bit of a fat bast**d given half a chance. I would never have thought that he would have adjusted to such a dramatic change in management but he seems pretty happy and even coped from the 'beast from the east' horrible snow event happily.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think you sound like a brilliant horse owner I have been on yards with amazing facilities and unfortunately some of the horses are really not that cared for so it means absolutely nothing.

I would much prefer my horses be out in a bit of mud than being stuck in a stable all winter most horses would much rather be out in any weather anyway.

ponynutz

Visit site
Agreed you sound like a fab horse owner.

5* home for me would be someone who is compassionate, kind, and genuinely has a love for the horse and would always put them before ambition, desire to compete or have fun etc. Possibly comes slightly from the fact my pony is an absolute ass sometimes and part of the reason I never sold for a horse is that I feared she'd be passed around a lot.
10* would be that plus facilities etc.

Facilities are less of a big deal to be perfectly honest. Horses are animals - as long as they are loved, fed, watered, have access to turnout or enough exercise I'm happy.

To be honest... if I was selling my 13.3hh - you'd be a perfect match.

poiuytrewq

Visit site

Agree! Also the open to offers to a good home only.
So it’s full price to a rubbish home ?‍♀️

w1bbler

Visit site
It's a pointless thing to write, you could show seller the most amazing facilties & move the horse following day.
Another one that annoys me is, 'looking for a forever home', so why are you selling?
I passed on one I saw advertised as it was for sale to a strictly non hunting home. I don't hunt, but it made me feel like the seller would demand to stay in contact/ stalk me.
Its nice to try & find a good home when selling, but the only way to guarantee a horse is looked after the way you think is best is to keep it yourself.

Peglo

Visit site
I never considered having an arena and state of the art stables made a 5* home. I thought it was more about commitment and care of the horse.

your set up and experience with your retired horses at home would definitely suggest to me your a 5* home.

Stables are only important to me because of where I live, lack of shelter in my fields and how wet our fields get in winter. Before your competition horse adjusted to living out 24/7 suggests you have a great set up for turnout.

AntiPuck

Visit site
I avoided the adverts that said stuff like that, it's meaningless and juvenile; I'd expect it if the seller were 16, but not from an adult. Similarly ones that were selling a horse because it's no longer convenient for them to own it but yet expected the next buyer to provide a "forever home", etc.

Your set-up sounds brilliant to me, and probably would to most horses too.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Some people may use it to mean ask ‘homes will be vetted and I’m going to be choosy’ but all my horse viewings I have only ONCE been asked anything at all about how I intend to keep the horse! Including from people who say ‘won’t go to just anyone, or 5* home only’. So it’s meaningless. I do place horses I sell carefully but I am then quite specific about what that means: year round turn out in company. Plus a video of the rider. And photos of the land/field.

jnb

Visit site
Ugh, no horse ever stood there thinking "I NEED a stable and a huge arena" - that's facilities for the owner not the horse.
Horse needs: Freedom, Friends & Forage.
The rest is just "stuff" - mainly for the owner. I HATE the phrase "he loves his stable" - no he doesn't, he loves the food in it (or the fact he gets some when he goes in).

scruffyponies

Visit site
Would be funny to reply to one of those and say
"I can only offer a 3* home because I do neglect my horses a bit but not massively "
Of course everyone thinks they are the best owner ever.

This is pretty much me. Obviously I wouldn't want a horse whose idea of home was five feeds per day, a solarium and a horse walker, but if I think a horse will work here, I don't hesistate to discuss my set up with a seller. Most horses seem happy enough with a fair bit of 'neglect'; even (especially?) the ones who were difficult/dangerous elsewhere.

"Must go to a competitive / showing home" - isn't this when the owner still has the stallion and wants his name out there?

Birker2020

Visit site
To me it means:

prompt vet attention, as much turnout as possible, a varied workload, appropriate farriery at 5 weekly intervals and a diet which suits the horses temperament and workload.

It means a lot of commitment from the buyer to the horses welfare. The horse to be respected, loved and above all wanted, not a five minute wonder.

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
I got seriously vetted when I bought Millie! I had to provide two references from professionals in the industry who knew me, send extensive photos of the yard and show my BHS qualifications.
Bit of jumping through hoops but I felt reassured that I wasn’t buying a problem horse or something the owner wanted shut of quickly.
I still keep in touch with the owner who says I’m all she ever wanted for Millie. I’m not sure Millie shares that view, I genuinely believe she thinks I ruined her nice, quiet life!

Leandy

Visit site
You sound an excellent home. For mine, I just want them to go to an experienced home where they will be properly and appropriately looked after, whatever they are doing, and where they will be responsible owners as the horse gets older and less useful. No horse lies awake at night wishing it was in a top yard with hot horse showers, water treadmill, state of the art surfaces, full set of shiny new show jumps, a top trainer and heading for an Olympic career. In fact for most horses I know, I suspect that would be more of their worst nightmare. Most horses I know are happiest lazing and eating good grass with their mates!

Goldie's mum

Visit site

Or "no time wasters" . What's that in an advert for? Oh yes, sorry, I won't ring you now, time wasting was what I was all about.

JGC

Visit site
Yes, I agree that yours sounds like a 5* home to me and that most of the times I've come across this they barely asked anything about how I'd be keeping them! The only exception to that is my latest addition, who's owner really didn't want to sell but was going abroad to study for four years and having sharers wasn't working for her. She was a friend of a friend, otherwise I don't think I'd have been allowed to have her come live with me :)