What cooler do you use?

MegaBeast

Visit site
Looking to get a cooler to use at a competitions (and home) during the warmer months and not sure what's best. Wondering what you guys generally use? Not sure whether to go for a thin mesh or cotton.

And have spotted this:

http://www.rideaway.co.uk/index2.php3?se...mp;catcode2=WKD

They say it's a summer cooler but is lined with microfleece. Wouldn't this make it a bit on the warm side, has anyone seen it for real? Have seen it from olddairy in a black/silver combo which would colour coordinate nicely.

Kentisheventer

Visit site
Ive seen one like it; a friend has one but can't remember which make. Really good though; i must put that on my wishlist
tongue.gif

MegaBeast

Visit site
I've got a Mark Todd coolex (v similar to standard thermatex) and a weatherbeeta fleece but wanted something really thin.

Is the thin thermatex suitable for summer?

Tangaroo

Visit site
Ive got one like that but mine is a Masta one. Fleece on the top to keep back warm but netting further down to allow air flow round the body. Its excellent

Cliqmo

Visit site
One of the old fashioned mesh type ones (holes the size of 2p pieces) and a fleece rug thrown over the top if it's chilly. If you watch the very end of the racing on tv it is what they still use on heaps of racehorses so it can't be that wrong
laugh.gif

marmalade76

Visit site
I also use the old-fashioned cotton 'string vest' type. They are white, so hopefully don't soak up the heat on a warm day. I put a summer sheet or a woollen day rug (very old fashioned!) over the top when it is cold.

MegaBeast

Visit site
I love my MT coolex but thought it'd be way too hot to use in the summer! Will give it a go before making any purchases, thanks weezy.

Although, I do like equine shopping;)

SpottedCat

Visit site
Those who just use the 'string vest' types with nothing over the top except when it is cold - what is your rationale for doing this please? They were not designed to be used like that - the whole point of them is that they replicated the 'trapping of air' effect you get in modern fabrics like fleece etc at a time when such fabrics were not available as rugs at the time did not wick well due to the materials. So they were always the bottom layer under something as the cell-effect created the air pockets required to allow the horse to cool without chilling - same principle as thatching with straw under a rug. So if you stick them on with nothing over the top, they do, well, nothing in my understanding!!

I don't know why you'd use one given the breathability and wicking properties of modern fabrics, and putting cotton over the top when cotton is one of the least wicking materials available (there is a reason why sportspeople avoid cotton like the plague) makes no sense to me, given the availability of better fabrics, so I'd love to know the thinking behind it.

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I love my MT coolex but thought it'd be way too hot to use in the summer! Will give it a go before making any purchases, thanks weezy.

Although, I do like equine shopping;)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, don't we all! I had my reservations too, but it seems to work in all weathers, whereas the Thermatex was always too hot in the summer months - try it and see, what works for one may not work for another
laugh.gif

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I have an amigo skrim cooler and its brilliant for summer. Not made of the toughest material so is prone to ripping but does a good job and think I only paid about £17 for it.

Halfstep

Visit site
I have an ancient, mouse eaten thermatex (really old design), that will not win anything in the fashion stakes but really wicks moisture away from the horse and is brilliant for travelling in winter. For summer, I have a great Weatherbeeta rug with mesh and fleece, nifty design and really works.

ihatework

Visit site
I have the landsdown thermatex equivalent for the cooler weather and a lightweight thermatex for the summer

K27

Visit site
I've just bought a W/beeta Wick Dri cooler which is half mesh and half soft materialwith a belly strap and it seems to work very well.

Also use a Bucas power cooler which is fab/ or a light waffle type rug, I'd like to get a thin thermatex one too as they sound good.