What could be wrong with this Horse?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Horse belongs to my friend. Horse in question is an 7YO ISH mare. Eating, drinking, pooing and weeing as normal. Sat and me and friend went for a hack, her usually fiesty mare was very quiet and placid. We put it down to the weather warming up. Yesterday friend went to get in, usually her Horse walks straight to her, but yesterday she didn't, friend had to get her in. Friend then lunged mare over poles, she came back after 15 mins and said she thinks Horse isn't right as she was being very lazy (usually shes very fiesty on the lunge)

She asked me to take a look, so I checked legs over and all seemed fine, checked her gums and they were white, so suggested we take temp, she was 39.8 so running a tad high. No coughing, snotty nose etc. I told her to ring vets for advice, they said as long as shes eating then see what shes like today. Friend went up last night and temp still same. This morning I checked her and gums still white, she had pooed, drunk and eaten.

Friend going up at lunch to take temp and if higher she will get the vet out. I was thinking some kind of virus? the others all seem fine.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would agree a virus seems likely , if nothing changes I would take her temperature three times a day if it raises have a vet visit.
I would also take temperatures of the rest of the horses and watch for any changes.
I would not work the mare until seems she is normal in her self again.
If the temperature is still up by tomorrow I would get the vet anyway , keep a very close watch on her and the others.

Last edited:

Montyforever

Visit site
Virus? Keep a very close eye on her though as this was exactly how my mare was before getting an impaction colic possibly caused by a virus (still unexplained high liver enzymes in blood but getting better and more herself everyday) should know more after the bloods today. I'll post again when I know wether it was just a virus or something more sinister but in your shoes I would call the vet for advice

JillA

Visit site
Virus? Liver problems? Kidney problems? Could be one of several things, the only safe thing to do it get the vet and have them take bloods to diagnose. Hope she is okay.

Baileybones

Visit site
Temp of 39.8 is incredibly high - anything over 38.8 is usually considered a fever!
Is the Thermometer definitely correct? Could she take a bench mark temp from other horses to be sure of this?

The only reason I say this is that several weeks ago my boy had a fever at 39.4 and the vet was with me within 30mins! We had to take bloods and urine and the tests that day revealed he was fighting an infection. He was on some seriously hardcore antibiotics and whilst the drigs brought his temp down he still fever spiked for the next couple of mornings.

Personally if it was my horse and the temp is over 39 I would want a vet there as an emergency - I'm sure its nothing that can't be sorted but the quicker the reaction the better I'd say.

Good luck x

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, have passed them on to friend.

Will take Ruby's temp later to check. Rubys gum colour is normal though (checked yesterday to compare to the other Horse)

Said Horse has had episodes of colic in the past, but her owner said she is not displaying any of the symptoms she usually does. The vet agreed on phone that temp was high and said they would come out if Horse was not eating or drinking, as Horse was doing both they said to just see how she goes.

Horse won't be worked now until better. Would you continue to turnout or keep in?

If it is a virus I'm worried Ruby will get it, shes stabled next door, there isn't a wall between there stables, there are bars so they can touch etc.

LaurenBay

Visit site
YO just texted to say she checked Horse this morn a couple of hours after I did and they had got some colour, but still pale.

My Horse and YO's Horse were turned out all day with her yesterday and both seem fine (although it doesn't mean to say they won't change)

HBM1

Visit site
Takes me ages to type on phone..but to expand.. White gums are a sign of potentially very serious conditions..eg anaemia, infection, organ failure etc. What is one of the first things a vet does when they visit? Check the gums..why? Because if something serious is going on the blood supply rushes to where it is needed most... In patients with shock you will see white gums etc. She needs a vet and blood tests asap.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Just spoken to friend via text, she said thank you to everyone who replied.

She is taking temp later and if still high she will insist vet come out and run bloods. We will keep a close eye on the other Horses.

HBM1

Visit site
One of mine had a serious allergic reaction leading to liver starting to shut down..something like that isnt going to affect the others..never mind them..treat the one with the symptoms

LaurenBay

Visit site
well that sounds good .... I think.

She was tied on the yard this morning, stamping her feet, pawing and fidgeting because she wanted her hay, she seems bright and alert and was fine to ride on Sat (a tad on the lazy side) but that is VERY normal for her when it warms up. Lovely pink gums too. But to be on the safe side will be taking her temp later. I have texted YO and she will probably be doing the same (she owns 4 and then its just mine and friends Horses)

LaurenBay

Visit site
Just got back from yard. Checked my Horses gum colour and it was a pale pink, checked her temp and it was absolutely fine. Checked the other Horses gum colour and now a very pale pink but much better then it was, took temp and it's now fine. Will continue to monitor them all very closely.