what could this be?

emilytilly

Visit site
I've had my horse 6 years and he's now 13. We do amateur showjumping and he has a very easy life, ridden a couple of times a week. He has just come back from 3 months off as I went travelling.

He recently started bucking, which in the 6 years I've had him he's never done. I called the physio out to come and see him. She said he was a little sore and did some work and said to continue as usual. I rode him lightly for the next 2 weeks and he seemed a lot better, no bucking.

Last weekend I tried to do some little jumps and he started bucking again quite severely. I then tried to just do flatwork incase it was excitement but he was still really badly bucking, 2 or 3 in a row. He's just been lunged since and has been good, but today I rode him again and he was worse than ever. This time he was refusing to move forwards. When I asked for canter he put his head up high, ears flat back and ground to a halt. I asked again and he did exactly the same whilst bucking. I then just asked for walk and he refused to move. Just put his ears flat back, head up and shuffled backwards when I kept asking.

Physio is coming back on Tuesday but to me this seems more severe then just some sore muscles. He seems happy enough on the ground, to tack up and to mount. Had teeth done a month ago. Has anyone had symptoms like this before and if so what was the problem? Really worrying as this is so out of character. Seems like back or neck to me but any suggestions very welcome :) I'll definitely get vet in too but just wanted to hear some ideas.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lots of ideas ,it could be 100's things I would get the vet to him before the physio as the physio relieving the muscle spasm could cloud things for the vet .
When a horse you owned for six years starts bucking you need a vet .

A wild guess would be the start of spavins brought on by being out of work while you traveled .

be positive

Visit site
If he had 3 months off he probably dropped some topline and changed shape a bit, you don't say whether the physio looked at the saddle when she saw him, if not I suspect that it is not fitting the same as it used to and making him uncomfortable, get that checked as soon as possible and if he is still not happy get the vet.

ashlingm

Visit site
My friends 5 year old horse displayed very similar symptoms and was seen my a physio regularly! She had his teeth, saddle etc checked. It turned out to be kissing spine.

Just be careful if the physio states that its not kissing spine. There are no proper outwardly signs of it... x-ray is the only way to confirm. And it will also tell you which vertebrae are touching and how severe it it. Another friend has a horse with it. He got steroid injections into his back and spent weeks being rehabbed. She spent weeks lunging and long reining. The vet recommended he was to be kept in work the whole time so his muscles support his back and needs to be regularly worked long and low to keep the spine 'open'. He is like a completely different horse now and regularly competes (and wins!). I'd definitely recommend you get his back x-rayed. Even if it just gives you peace of mind.

Another possibility is that it's his hocks. These are often over looked as people focus on the back and pelvis. I noticed my 11 year old mare just wasn't 'right' and couldn't figure out what was wrong. She wasn't bold like your fella above but just wasn't right. I brought her to an equine hospital for a full work up (I went thinking she had kissing spine!). She was diagnosed with mild arthritis in her hocks. Although it was mild it was affecting her. One round of steroid injections and rehab work and she was like a new horse. She is extremely forward going with a big stride and now pulls me into jumps. I couldn't get over the change in her. She hasn't had steroid injections since (2.5 years ago) but is kept on a joint supplement. I wouldn't hesitate to get her checked out again if she went a bit off. I was amazed at the change in her!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For me saddle would be first too. Especially when jumping the saddle can tighten up really badly when you land.

But, like when you put a pair of high heels on to go out, they can initially feel OK, so no symptoms on tacking up.

vanrim

Visit site
Also consider gastric ulcers. The symptoms you describe are very similar to those for gastric ulcers.

JillA

Visit site
I'd also say saddle - can you get hold of a good quality lambswool half pad to put under it to see if you get the same response? And are you using a points billet - that can sometimes pull the tree down onto the scapula, especially when your weight is forward.

old hand

Visit site
I had one that did that but it built up to it. He always kicked out when asked for canter and backed off as soon as he could. Everyone told me I was a wuss due to old age and that there was nothing wrong with him ( never unlevel at all). I had various lameness workups from three months after he was broken , over two years. Eventually put my foot down and had his front feet x rayed and , unfortunately, it was navicular which was what I thought in the first place. He also had rotated back pedal bones and the beginning of coffin joint disease. It turned out that he had had sepsis half an hour after he was foaled and that he had not had his joints flushed so probably had arthritis all his life. I would suggest you get the vet and look everywhere even if they don't want to. Hopefully yours is something simple though.