What couldn't you live without in your lorry?

dottieh

Visit site
I have just bought a lorry and am interested in extra 'things' that people have in their lorries and see as essentials.

Mine doesn't have a camera in the horse area, so that is something that I will be putting in.

TIA x

lizziebell

Visit site
I do have cameras, but mine travel well and I rarely use it to look in the horse area so wouldn't class that as essential, however, for reversing - I rely on it a lot, especially as our yard is very tight on manouvering space.

Couldn't be without my toilet (the usual lorry toilet rules apply !).

I have double of everything (except tack) in my lorry, for both me and the horses, so all I have to do when I go out is grab tack and horse.

A stash of chocolate is definately essential, either for an energy boost or a pick me up :)

meesha

Visit site
Drinks, breakfast biscuits. I also keep all tack in back except saddle. Coats, spare headcollar, leadrop and girth, and of course wet wipes.

scats

Visit site
A first aid kit that lives in there permanently, a water bucket, grooming kit, sat nav... and I have a little dry wipe board that I leave in the cab. I write my mobile number on it incase I have to nip to loo and pony does anything silly (I do always ask someone nearby to keep an eye on her, but as I compete alone, I do occasionally have to leave her for a few moments)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Hole punch. Spare headcollars in case one breaks or you need to give someone a lift. Spare bulbs for the lorry lights. First aid kits for horse and rider. Loo roll. Twenty quid stashed somewhere (and twenty euros if like me you are popping back and forth over the border). Road atlas for when technology lets you down.

miss_c

Visit site
Definitely first aid kit and horse area camera - I tend to glance at mine if I hear a bump or someone makes me brake sharply, etc.

From a staying-away point of view I wouldn't be without the built-in generator! Absolute life saver when you go somewhere and there's no hookup!

Boysy

Visit site
Mine is home from home aside from the tack and the ponies, I am lucky in that I have a lot of payload to play with so don't have to worry about how much I load in there.

An absolute must are lots of condensation catchers or damp traps all over the place, you'd be surprised how damp even a watertight lorry gets so mine has them everywhere even in the clothes cupboards.

Food, drinks, first aid kits human & horse, grooming kit human and horse :), spare clothes, gloves, whips, air freshners, treats, spare general rugs i.e. extra fleeces, one waterproof to share, toiletries, footwear, everything you need at a competition, emergency cash box, buckets, plastic bags, cups for hot drinks and little pots of longlife milk, cutlery & plates etc, water container, spare girth, stirrup leathers, reins.

In my side lockers are spare nets, mucking out stuff, rope, string, jump leads, cold start, toolbox.

I also have sleeping bags, duvets, pillows all in those airtight bag things, cushions, fleece throws.

Gosh there is an awful lot there but it does mean that I can literally stuff tack in the locker, load the ponies and go without worrying if I have forgotten something or what I would do if stuck somewhere.

Boysy

Visit site
Mine is home from home aside from the tack and the ponies, I am lucky in that I have a lot of payload to play with so don't have to worry about how much I load in there.

An absolute must are lots of condensation catchers or damp traps all over the place, you'd be surprised how damp even a watertight lorry gets so mine has them everywhere even in the clothes cupboards.

Food, drinks, first aid kits human & horse, grooming kit human and horse :), spare clothes, gloves, whips, air freshners, treats, spare general rugs i.e. extra fleeces, one waterproof to share, toiletries, footwear, everything you need at a competition, emergency cash box, buckets, plastic bags, cups for hot drinks and little pots of longlife milk, cutlery & plates etc, water container, spare girth, stirrup leathers, reins.

In my side lockers are spare nets, mucking out stuff, rope, string, jump leads, cold start, toolbox.

I also have sleeping bags, duvets, pillows all in those airtight bag things, cushions, fleece throws.

Gosh there is an awful lot there but it does mean that I can literally stuff tack in the locker, load the ponies and go without worrying if I have forgotten something or what I would do if stuck somewhere.

humblepie

Visit site
OH who is a mechanic! Got us back from about 3 hours away the other week when something had started sticking in the gear box (you see my technical knowledge there). Enjoy your new lorry.

oldie48

Visit site
Having walked XC courses in the pouring rain with daughter getting absolutely soaked in the process, big polythene bags to put all the wet stuff in so it doesn't make everything else in the lorry damp. Hot water bottles were also a life saver!

WelshD

Visit site
little tin with painkillers, upset tummy medicine, instant heat pads and various human first aid supplies along with a bottle of water and glucose tablets

Horse first aid kit - needed this a few times!

another little tin, this one contains hairbrush, hair grips, bands etc and string/elastic for competitor numbers along with pre threaded needles for emergency repairs of burst zips etc

A box containing foil blankets, high vis, jump leads, atlas, lorry manual, basic tools, spare socks and boots

Another containing emergency girth and bridle parts and one of those 'macs' that cover the horse when its wearing its tack in the rain

I keep a magnetic torch, high vis waistcoat and fire extinguisher within arms length and also one of those yard knives with the concealed blade (to cut seat belts if needed)

I also keep a small number of compressed hay blocks and a small container of water just in case of delays, the hay blocks take up very little space and will keep in a plastic container for ages

Mike007

Visit site
My lorry is an old E reg Iveco cargo 811 . Ancient yet maintained to the hilt. Barring meteorite strike ,the only thing that will stop us is a) Amelia putting petrol in it (but she did get herself out of that one ) b) Amelia breaking the key off in the lock ,again she solved that one on her own. OR c) the big one ,a tyre failure. We both check all the tyres before any journey . Leaks tend to be slow so you get home. But when ,if it is a rear tyre , you go out again ,and havnt checked! You lose both back tyres. So number one item is a rounders bat or similar to hit all your tyres with (flat across the tread ) You will soon learn to spot an underinflated tyre. So cheap ,so simple and will save so much grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!