What Dartmoor only kicking kids??would you feed a Dartmoor x ???

Spring Feather

Visit site
I dont dislike him at all & im certainly not scared of him, i do like him very much & its a huge shame about this, he is going back to his owner this week & we are seeing another pony this week that is being ridden, suitable for my daughter, dont kick, nip etc.. I think this case was just a bad mis match

Good luck with the next pony. There are very few situations where native ponies require feeding at this time of year so I certainly wouldn't be giving ANY pony hard feed; not even a handful of whatever.

thehorses2013

Visit site
Thank you, i only done what i was advised but i have changed his feed now but i think when he goes back his owner will be putting him back on feed i started with :-(

I will keep you informed not looking until the weekend hes a sec b, very quiet, explained situation to the lady & she thinks he will be suitable :) xx

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I don't understand why this pony is being given hard feed at all? If it's a case of the other horse being fed in the field could you not bring it in to feed? As others have said, most natives are great at living on thin air and the added sugar you're feeding him is just a recipe for lami, not to mention will be adding to his current behaviour.

I agree with the others saying send him back. Not because I believe he's a bad pony (I'm sure with firm, consistent management he'd be a delight) but because it doesn't sound like you have the necessary knowledge to turn this around.

thehorses2013

Visit site
I don't understand why this pony is being given hard feed at all? If it's a case of the other horse being fed in the field could you not bring it in to feed? As others have said, most natives are great at living on thin air and the added sugar you're feeding him is just a recipe for lami, not to mention will be adding to his current behaviour.

I agree with the others saying send him back. Not because I believe he's a bad pony (I'm sure with firm, consistent management he'd be a delight) but because it doesn't sound like you have the necessary knowledge to turn this around.

I was advised by the owner to feed him this as thats what he was on beforehand, i have now change it behaviour is getting worse, he is going back the week & owner wants to put him back on the feed i started with, i did mention this to her in the first place but was told "no this is what he eats this is what he is used too" Everyone says he is behaving like a stallion

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I was advised by the owner to feed him this as thats what he was on beforehand, i have now change it behaviour is getting worse, he is going back the week & owner wants to put him back on the feed i started with, i did mention this to her in the first place but was told "no this is what he eats this is what he is used too" Everyone says he is behaving like a stallion

Oh dear I really feel for the poor pony in all this. It sounds like his owner is a little clueless to say the least. Apologies if you mentioned in your original post but how old is he?

thehorses2013

Visit site
Oh dear I really feel for the poor pony in all this. It sounds like his owner is a little clueless to say the least. Apologies if you mentioned in your original post but how old is he?

Hes 7, i do really like him minus his behaviour but its too much of a risk to take with children about & if something was to happen ill never forgive myself plus he is not what i was told :-(

Spring Feather

Visit site
... plus he is not what i was told :-(

Ponies in particular, are generally very clever and are opportunists. He may well have been a very good pony at his previous home, but with a change of handling and environment, they can quickly change to taking advantage of anyone with lesser handling skills. Anyhow it doesn't matter now with him as he is leaving. I don't know how much experience you have but if inexperienced then perhaps look at your handling skills and make sure you are not giving the next pony opportunities to take over you or your children.

thehorses2013

Visit site
What has been done to resolve the behaviour issue though??

Nothing you cannot get near him i have tried & he just wants to go for you, he charges like a bull, She thinks he behaving like a stallion & where something went wrong when he was gelded a long time ago she said this may be the case?

thewonderhorse

Visit site
Nothing you cannot get near him i have tried & he just wants to go for you, he charges like a bull, She thinks he behaving like a stallion & where something went wrong when he was gelded a long time ago she said this may be the case?

I think he is taking the pee frankly! and to be honest you are letting him.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Stop giving this pony sugar! It can have the same result as feeding your kids loads of sugar!! Molly chaf has tonnes of sugar in it and so does sugarbeet! In fact I would not be giving the pony anything to eat other than grass and perhaps a cup of lo cal balancer for the vits. Let the pony settle for at least 4 weeks before you make any quick decisions but always supervise the kids around him. Never give him titbits from your hands and carry a stick in the field!