What did you do "wrong" when buying?

fishy

Visit site
After losing my mare suddenly I wasn't really looking, but a young cob just backed turned up at the yard for the yo to bring on and sell on. Went on holiday and decided I wanted to buy him so rang up yo and told him not to sell him while I was away I wanted him. Hadn't seen him ridden, in the stable or anything! 8 months on he's fantastic😀 brave, cheeky, funny and just an all round genuine nice person. He's a keeper.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Bought 3 yo chestnut arab X mare as my first ever horse, she was very pretty, I'd always liked arabs, had always wanted a chestnut with four white socks and a blaze and I didn't want anyone else to beat me to her. She was fabulous, easy to back and I had years of absolute fun with her.

Oddly enough, the next two horses I bought were on the advice of 'friends'. They were both nice horses but I never quite gelled with them like I did my little mare.

Sam, I saw his ad on Horsequest when I was merely 'window shopping' Wasn't really planning on buying. Went to see him after a work colleague persuaded me to phone the seller just to ask about him. Took my very non-horsey hubby and decided that day I was going to have him. Didn't bother having him vetted as he had a 3 month old certificate from when the lady selling him had bought him over from Ireland. He's my perfect horse and I absolutely adore him. He was a very green rising six when I got him yet he's given me back my confidence which had been shattered by my previous horse.

Funny how the two I chose myself without other people's advice are the two most suited to me :)

Fjord

Visit site
I was a nervous novice and did pretty much everything wrong. She was the first horse I viewed, I took my hubby with me (he knew less than me) and we went to see an overweight, not been ridden in three months mare who wouldn't go out without her pet Shetland and had sweetitch. I walked her up the road, trotted a few paces and fell in love. The only good thing I did was have her on trial for a while, as soon as I had the confidence to canter her I knew she wasn't going anywhere.

splash30

Visit site
Brought from a photo on the Internet, he was in Ireland then had him shipped over unseen. One of the best things I have done.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Bought the first horse I saw (1) and committed to buy without seeing (2). Travelled 1300 miles to see them / brought them down from the opposite end of the country. Didn't sit on either or see them worked. Didn't vet either. I just eyeballed and said "that'll do".

Fergus, particularly, was the best decision I ever made. Daemon has time yet to aspire to his level of awesome.

Mind you, they were both youngsters, from the same stud.

Clare85

Visit site
Drove onto a gypsy site with the baby in the back of the car and drove away with a pony about half an hour later! I think I pretty much broke every rule there! But wouldn't change a thing, she's been a star from the second I saw her. And I would buy from him again, he was a good guy :)

MDB

Visit site
Went out looking for a bombroof 16hh+ teenage horse for my tall husband to gently hack.

Came back with an emaciated, previously maltreated, Andalusian, 9 year old 15.something mare, who was headshy, spooky and just plain terrified of everyone and everything. No vetting, didn't even ride her, or examine her in any way. Don't even think I looked at her hooves! Blame my husband. He said he couldn't leave her where she was even if she could never be ridden.

I fell in love with her after 3 days. It was mutual. Although we have had our ups and downs we haven't looked back since. <3 <3 <3

AppyLover

Visit site
Wasn't looking for a horse really but knew in a few months when I would be looking for a not to old but been there done that job who would look after me and ended up with an 18 month old 2 weeks later who luckily had been handled since the day he was born and I love him to death.

On the look for a new one to join our little herd and I have a list a mile long of requirements :D

oldie48

Visit site
Well having read all these posts, I'm completely in awe of what people have taken on. TBH I wouldn't have touched any of them with a barge pole. Just goes to show it's "horses for courses" I'm a really boring person who asks the Q's, checks the record, takes the trainer with me, tries more than once, talks to previous owners etc etc. Have I always ended up with the right horse? No, but I've never ended up with anything I couldn't sell on to a good home, so perhaps I've done OK really!

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Paying for the old s*d! I did already know him a bit and we did have a proper viewing and a 3 stage vetting. Bought old cob from a local riding school - my first pony when I was 39 and he was probably 18, but of course sold to me as being 12. He bucked like an absolute bronco and both the vet and the YO told me it was because he was fed up being in the riding school. It wasn't until much later that he was diagnosed with kissing spines. Spinal injections and tildren helped a lot and he was always keen to get out and about. Twelve years on he is now retired, but still in charge. I watched him run backwards and then just fail to double-barrel one of the herd who tried to dodge round him to get to me the other day! I absolutely adore him - he still makes me smile every single day.

JustMe22

Visit site
Bought my first horse from a dealer on the day he left the track. He came down for hours in an open cattle truck and was exhausted and lying down in his stable. Didn't sit on him and only watched him walk a tiny bit in the lunge ring. he turned out to be quite talented and we did reasonably well, but he was also the most stubborn, unwilling animal in the world - later found out he had kissing spine. He's now retired at the grand old age of 12.

Then bought my second horse at an in-training racing auction. Flew down to the coast for the day, registered myself as a buyer and wandered in amongst all the buyers for big racing yards and trainer. Saw the horse unload from the float, checked his number and noticed he didn't race too well, then bid on the spot when he walked into the auction ring. Luckily the only other person who wanted him for racing didn't think he was worth much!

He could've been insane, drugged, totally unsound...and I swore I wouldn't buy another horse without sitting on it. But there we go! Hopefully this one stays sound :)

Sprat

Visit site
This thread has made me smile.

When I was looking for my last horse, I was after something that had been there and done that, around 10-15yrs old. At least 16hh and bay, warmblood type.

Ended up with a just broken 15.2hh 5yr old Welsh D cross, who was coloured and hogged. Had never competed before. Sigh. I've had him for the last couple of years and he has been incredible and taught me so much (mainly patience :lol:)

sychnant

Visit site
I've never actually looked for a horse. I've just seen an advert, gone to see the horse and bought it. Only ever test ridden one of them, never had a vetting.

I've done it all wrong every time! But am very happy with all of them :)

C1airey

Visit site
So shocked at being offered a horse I'd had on loan, I was a mess of snot and tears and locked myself out of my internet banking. Then panicked that had broken phone as couldn't get touchscreen to work (see earlier problem re: snot and tears). Then panicked that owner thought I didn't want him. Then panicked because couldn't text/call owner to explain current snot/tears/phone problem.

Finally pulled myself together, found a tissue and reset my banking password.

Damnation

Visit site
Horse 1) Wanted a sane sensible Cob, first horse, done a bit, been there done that kind of attitude. Came back with a 4 year old TB straight off the track, a hand smaller than I wanted.

Horse 2) Bought the first horse I saw. Wanted a schoolmaster/mistress for dressage, came back with a hypersensative, barely rideable, stressy horse. I can ride her though :D

godfreyy

Visit site
Was looking for a 3-4 year old that would make no bigger than 15.3-16hh as I'm so short. When I went to see him:

1. Already bigger than I wanted at 16.1hh and still growing. (not a massive height difference I know, but he's still growing!!!!)
2. Insisted I saw him tacked up and that I got on him despite protestations from the seller (really positive!!!).
3. When I did sit on him, it was literally just that - I had a little walk around a lunge pen(?!) and then got off.
4. Agreed to buy him subject to vetting and then 2 days later bought him, minus the vetting, as I had fallen head over heels in love with him and couldn't bear to wait that long.
5. Seller wanted to be paid by bank transfer, and the day before picking him up she insisted it had to be done then so it would be in her account before we took him as there was no signal on her yard (no idea why should would not accept cash) and although this is a massive red flag to most people decided to take the risk and do it and luckily was an honest seller not looking to scam out of money. Thought I will never NEVER take that kind of risk again as I think I was just very lucky this time.
6. Wanted a solid dark colour, as I already have a grey who I just cannot keep clean, ended up with a coloured with lovely long white legs..... when will I learn?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The first horse I bought was the mare I had been sharing for 5 years, her owner asked me if I wanted her for £1000, she was 13 didn't always look right behind but I loved her, I went home to oh crying my eyes out saying she was being sold:( he gave me the money to buy her so she was mine, she went lame at 14 with arthritis in her stifle so she became a light hack, I kept her u til she was pts at 22, I don't regret it loved every single year I had with her.

Tapir

Visit site
did everything correctly (vetted, tried out in all ways, took another experienced person), 30 years of experience, bought & sold quite a few horses over the years, still ended up with a wrong 'un - I hate buying horses

lottiepony

Visit site
Bought the first one I saw despite her doing a rodeo and me falling off her when I rode her for the first time. Legend of a horse devastated to have lost her this year after finding her dead in the field.
Cue search for horse number 2, wanted something completely different to her but went and saw a identical looking 3yr old but he dished so that was a no go.
This time I've bought the second horse I viewed. Things seemed to fall into place and he arrived home on Monday. Made a cheeky offer as would buy without him being vetted which they accepted! will now have him vetted to sort insurance etc he's a 2yr old currently 16hh part bred arab gelding. Stunning boy and very excited for the future!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Bought a horse at public auction without laying eyes on him; was working in the sales office, was advised by seller who turned up after sale had started that his reserve had been removed. I couldn't abandon my post so got OH to check him to make sure he had 4 legs and then he bid on him for me.

First time I laid eyes on him I couldn't get near him in the stall for him lunging at me trying to take chunks out of me. Got someone else to catch him eventually and he went 330 miles up to Scotland while I maintained a safe distance in Wales for another 6 months! By the time we were 'reunited' he'd had a chance to reflect on his initial feelings towards me...and he still felt the same!!

Wimbles

Visit site
Went out wanting to buy a 15 hand cob type for hacking, came home with an 18 hand ex racer who the girl working at the dodgy dealers yard refused to get on. He was skinny, had terrible feet and ran round with his head in the air pulling like a train. Loved him and put a deposit down there and then with my "expert" ever getting the chance to see him :)

Tried to send him back after a week 'cause the swine did nothing but run backwards and rear.

Had him 11 years and he will always be the best horse I will ever have had the pleasure of owning. Miss him terribly.

I don't think that I've ever not come home with the horse that I've set out to see and that includes one that was lame on all four legs, one that had an abscess and one where the sellers were in fits of laughter when we pulled out of the yard with the horse in the box!

I'm such a mug and fall for every sob story!

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Bought a just turned 5 year old mare when I wanted something a bit more established and had more experience.
She's definitely tested me over the past year, but we are finally starting to get on and gel :)