What Disinfectants Do People Use?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
For lorry and stables?

Was thinking about it as I've taken a few friends horses around but never disinfected my lorry. I used to always clean and disinfect stables when we moved yards, but can't think now as to what I used.

An idle Sunday morning musing.

chaps89

Visit site
Jeyes fluid.
I bought my lorry in October, I was hoping we might still catch Indian summer weather so I could clean it inside but sadly not.
Having bought it from a friend it's pretty grotty inside and I'm desperate to get the hose and some disinfectant going round but dare not to till the weather is a bit nicer so it can dry out quicker!
The odd time it's been a bit minging if she's done particularly cow pat like droppings I've swilled some basic pine disinfectant and half a bucket of water about as a temporary measure.

mutley75

Visit site
Vercon S is quite well documented as reacting very badly ( eating through) most metals used in Horsebox builds.
Steri-7 appears to be the new kid on the block.
Aside from disinfectants getting a cold hose in doesn’t really touch the sides. It’s heat that disinfec,s. My trucks are washed at 130deg to keep the itchy scratchy,s away.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
When we had a strangles case last year on a separate part of our yard we used Steri-7 everywhere. It was sprayed onto all surfaces and used as a foot bath. Apparently it remains effective for some time. One of the liveries works in health care and thought it was the best. Some people did have a reaction to the hand-wash. The owner who had 2 horses used Jeyes Fluid in her separate area and the disease was never transferred to her other horse even though they were feet from each other in a contained area. No-one else got it either.

Lois Lame

Visit site
For lorry and stables?

Was thinking about it as I've taken a few friends horses around but never disinfected my lorry. I used to always clean and disinfect stables when we moved yards, but can't think now as to what I used.

An idle Sunday morning musing.

Sun is a wonderful disinfectant. Suitable for lots of things: lorries I suppose, clothing (I still use a clothesline).

For wounds, I like tepid water with a bit of salt.

ETA: I feel I've been a bit brief. I'm trying to cut down on waffling. So, before using sun, I would sweep, then hose. Or wash in washing machine then hang out to dry.

For horses, I hose a wound for a while, then slosh on salty water.