What do I do about dirtbikes on Bridlepath?

Mermie

Visit site
We're having a bit of an issue at the moment with dirtbikes riding up and down a bridlepath which gives us access from the yard to the network of local bridlepaths. There are 5 or 6 that are there every weekend (some of the boys are maybe only 10 years old ish) and then sometimes a couple come up during the week aswell. The bikes are incredibly noisy and even though my horse is very good in traffic she is getting increasingly worried by them to the extent that she now gets wound up at home as she can hear and see them from the yard.
They are always very polite with stopping engines and moving out of the way, but they drive much much too fast and too close (probably about 30-40 mph)especially considering that it is a heavily used bridlepath, in a wood and the terrain is very hilly - I'm petrified that one will come over the hill and won't see us until its too late.
The issue is that while its illegal to be driving on the bridle paths (and so could complain even though it's unlikely anything could be done) some of the land they use as their 'track', and which we use to access this bridle path, is on a local farmers land (no idea if they have permission to be driving on it - the ground is getting absolutely trashed). I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this before? I don't feel like complaining to the authorities about the use of the bridlepath will get me very far but it's an accident waiting to happen especially as there are a lot of children that ride along it by themselves.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Do report them to your local police, if they are riding on public access land (PROW) where they shouldn't be, they will not be insured, I doubt the bikes are road legal and under 16's should not be riding on PROWs at all.

popsdosh

Visit site
Do report them to your local police, if they are riding on public access land (PROW) where they shouldn't be, they will not be insured, I doubt the bikes are road legal and under 16's should not be riding on PROWs at all.

Police and CC rights of way officer . It is one of these situations where if you dont report it dont expect anybody else too! They need stopping or from experience every weekend more will turn up!
The police should act straight away as what they are doing is illegal in many ways,if not get your local councillors involved and they can pressurise the police. How else do you think you will stop them!.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Can you go see the farmer first an check if he has given permission- he may know them and be able to have a quiet word which they may listen to if he threatens to stop giving them access?

kate2323

Visit site
we had the same problem here....get the police involved as if a horse or pony spooks , throws its rider off and teh rider is seriously hurt what happens then? bikes and bridlepaths dont go together...sounds tough and hardball but bikes can be a menace and best nipped in the bud while you can....

ezililaur

Visit site
Oh I certainly have had experience of this!
I live opposite a Country Park and there were often dirt bikes being ridden all over the paths and fields. Completely trashing the ground not to mention the noise from these bikes was horrendous. So much so that it began to really get to me, making me very anxious. I felt like going over there and stringing up cheese wire at head height. That's how much I hate the things!
We repeatedly reported them to the police. They are breaking the law as they are not insured, are on public land and are generally anti social with the noise and vandalism of the ground. The local police were wonderful and also with the help of the council, the park is now more secure so access for the riders is very restricted.
Please do report them, or as previously mentioned, find out from the farmer if he has given them permission. Even if he has, they should not be as noisy as you say and should not be riding the bikes along the paths anyway!
Get photographic evidence of the ground too.

deb_l222

Visit site
As others have already said, ring the police, they will take you seriously.

We had an issue with dirt bikes in our local woods. The land is privately owned but there are public footpaths running through it, used by walkers and riders alike (they're not official bridle paths though).

The number of bikes had spiralled out of control and there was sometimes in excess of two dozen tramming through. Myself and a couple of other dog walkers rang the 101 number and reported them.

Could be coincidence but we've not seen them since. If I do, I will report them again.

kate2323

Visit site
yes try and get numberplates....you might find some of the bikers conveniently "hide" them...there are websites they go on to see bridleways which are not contested....you need to take this really seriously...

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Please report to your local police and also the local access officers at your County Hall.
It is illegal to ride a motorised vehicle on a bridleway. They are also probably not insured or have vehicle excise duty.
Our local rural police officers have a policy of one warning and then if they do it again their bikes are destroyed.

paulineh

Visit site
We have always had a problem with scramble bikes in the woods. They are not allowed in the woods and do cause a problem as there are a lot of horses ,dogs and walkers that try to enjoy the woods.

We just keep reporting them to the police. Most of the bikes that ride around our way have no number plates and seem to belong to traveller boys. They will not have insurance and if they have it will be void on any land that they are not allowed to be on. It is the same as horse riders that ride on private property with out either a permit or permission.

Passtheshampoo

Visit site
Get as many of the local riders to report the problem to the Police. Also get your local Councillors involved they may put pressure on the Police and local Rights of Way Unit to deal with this. Most dirt bikes with younger kids riding them have been brought to the area in a van of some sort. Try to get the details of the vehicles bringing the dirt bikes and use head cam footage if poss. We had a couple of dirt bikes whizz over the brow of a hill just above a bridleway. Luckily horses coped ok otherwise could have been v nasty. We asked them to stop and turn off their engines. They did thankfully and then went on to tell us they kept horses themselves!!!

Pilib

Visit site
I had an issue with a man taking his young son on a permissive bridle way on a mini moto. I spoke to the man directly and got some abuse! Knew where he lived so reported him to the police who popped in for a word and had no more issues but lots of evils from the man if I saw him :)

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
We get mini motos, dirt bikes and quads all round here. Reported one lot who turned up in a huge van and were racing them round local park, police arrived with in 10 minutes and told them if they return bikes will be seized and destroyed.
They ride on bridlepaths, footpaths and anywhere they damn well want up here on the North Downs although they have reduced in the last year or so.
However, round at Kenley airfield 2 minutes from my house and which is used by local gliding school and the RAF air cadets flying gliders that have top speeds of 170 mph and regularly exceed 80 mph on take off and landing and yes, these idiots ride across the airfield when gliders are operational! Dog walkers, pedestrians and joggers do too, one woman with a pram walked up the runway and refused to get off it as gliders were waiting to take off, her answer was it "is her right to walk there" which is the same answer the bike riders give, most of which are children with parents!
You can't teach stupid!

fatpiggy

Visit site
We have them around my way too. Doesn't affect me as I'm only out walking, but the tracks are well used by mountain bikers (they could improve their manners too) and sometimes horses. Damn things make a terrible racket, so at least you can hear them coming, but I go out there to be in the countryside and listen to birds tweeting thanks very much. They are always ridden by men who are plenty old enough to a. know better and b. able to read the signs that say that motorised vehicles are prohibited. Where I once kept my horse we had the local scrotes riding past in the dark on unlit bikes deliberately looking for horses to scare (another reason I moved). I rang the police several times and pointed out that they were riding on a public highway without lights, probably no insurance etc and exactly what would happen if I accidentally drove my car into one because I couldn't see him? Needless to say the plod weren't the slightest bit interested. Now go out and your indicator bulb fails mid-drive and they are onto you like a shot as a friend of mine found out.

Highlands

Visit site
Where are their adult supervision? We have local farmers kids and all you hear is meb, meb, meb all day and night. Odd because anyone else's kids they would complain