What do I do now?! Spinal cord injury after a fall.

mbf938

Visit site
I fell off my own horse whilst having a group flatwork lesson 6 months ago and broke my back. At the time I was paralysed from the chest down but luckily have regained movement and sensation and I am learning to walk again now although use crutches most of the time.

I have metal rods and screws in my back from T3 to T8 and my surgeon says I can ride again at 12 months. I am a BHS qualified coach and work at a large riding school with RDA on-site and hoping to be back working in on-site the office asap.

My horse is now living out in a field close to my house. I’ve had him 3.5 years and this was the first time I’ve fallen off of him. He’s a 16hh ex racer.

I suppose my question is do I keep the horse I have or rehome as I won’t be riding for another 6 months at least and I’ve been advised he’s unlikely to be suitable for me in the future as I’m permanently disabled so likely to need something safer. Has anyone else been permanently injured in an accident and carried on riding and with horse ownership?

Any advice or personal experiences greatly appreciated!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I fell off my own horse whilst having a group flatwork lesson 6 months ago and broke my back. At the time I was paralysed from the chest down but luckily have regained movement and sensation and I am learning to walk again now although use crutches most of the time.

I have metal rods and screws in my back from T3 to T8 and my surgeon says I can ride again at 12 months. I am a BHS qualified coach and work at a large riding school with RDA on-site and hoping to be back working in on-site the office asap.

My horse is now living out in a field close to my house. I’ve had him 3.5 years and this was the first time I’ve fallen off of him. He’s a 16hh ex racer.

I suppose my question is do I keep the horse I have or rehome as I won’t be riding for another 6 months at least and I’ve been advised he’s unlikely to be suitable for me in the future as I’m permanently disabled so likely to need something safer. Has anyone else been permanently injured in an accident and carried on riding and with horse ownership?

I did. TBH I wish I hadnt. I found it endlessly frustrating that I just wasnt every good anymore, and the physical work of looking after horses just added more wear and tear to a knackered body. I did do some teaching for a while but then got an office job. I took up carriage driving for a while and absolutely loved it, but thought I still wanted to ride, so sold up and started riding.

I'm now 10yrs down the line and I've sold up completely. I do miss "my" horses but I don't miss the generic horses and I absolutely do not miss the cold, the wet, the god awful slog and the added pain. I would not have been told any of this though and pigheadedly limped on pushing myself to absolute extremes for years. It was pretty miserable on the whole. Ironically it was after a significant improvement in my health and mobility that it suddenly dawned on me that this was as good as it was going to get, and it wasnt good enough for me to balance out the other stuff. I think for so long I held onto the idea that it would get better if I just did X or Y or Z. Then I hit my limits riding wise, and suddenly saw sense. I went down from 3 horses to 1 to see if that helped, then just woke up one day and knew. I owned the best horse in all the world, absolutely perfect for me, but I just didnt want to do it anymore. I cant really explain it. It felt like it had been creeping up on me for a long time, then all of a sudden, bam. I was done.

Weirdly enough there is a world after horses and I quite like it. I've gone back to uni as a mature student, have 2 amazing dogs, live on a boat and am free to go travelling all summer. When unis over I'll go and do a masters elsewhere probably, or I might take some time out to travel further afield. I dont know yet and dont have to decide yet. One thing is for certain I wont be going back to full time work and I wont need to now. And I wont be tied by horses and finding yards and earning enough money to keep them.

Its a good feeling.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I’m so sorry to hear about your accident. Amazing that you’re working your way back. Regarding your own horse, maybe consider if it was an unlucky fall or were you thrown off. All the best whatever you decide.

teapot

Visit site
I think I follow you on instagram, if so you're in the right place for training. With regards advice post injury have you thought about contacting Oaksey House for advice - they're probably the best place to ask for the physical and mental support side. They’ll be honest with you too. I would be listening to medical advice first, then the equestrian industry.

Certainly in my experience of coaching RDA - you may feel different (whether positively or negatively) when you do get to sit on something again for the first time. For example, if you get on a school horse and go 'this is what I need' it may then help you make the decision about your own, if he is indeed unsuitable. I helped a close friend of a well known Team GB rider get back on for the first time post an appalling car accident (said team member didn't have anything suitable in their yard) and it helped them reasses what they needed, and actually wanted from riding.

Ets - there is a possibility however you sit on something and decide you don’t want to ride again, and that’s ok too.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Depends how attached you are, I felt I lost love with my boy when I came off broke my humorous the second time, the first time osteo says I should be 6 ft under. Different for me I bred him and it turned out his back was sore, depends how you feel, emotions aside I would sell him or loan him.

angel7

Visit site
This is so hard to advise depending on your circumstances.
Do you have kids, partner, other job and/or comfortably well off??Could you afford to never work again? Sorry to be morbid but you need to be realistic. The steel will stop your back bending for the next fall, possibly causing more severe injuries above and below the repair.
All will be relevant and affected if the worst happens again.
A dear friend suffered severe injuries after a car hit her horse. She is doggedly riding on a new horse but only does flatwork, no hacking and is suffering a lot of pain as she ages, much like I'm Dun's post. I can see it all needing to stop soon but she is doggedly carrying on because she cannot imagine what to do with herself with no horses.
I work with spinal injuries and have had surgery myself, the risk is not worth it for me, no more riding.
Only you can make the judgement call. You can fall off the safest schoolmaster on the flat or be like Fallon Taylor and Nick Skelton and continue with a full riding career.
Dont do anything rash, allow healing and reflection. You can still coach and teach.

Equi

Visit site
I would never be able to sit on that horse again, personally.

I would sell on, and give yourself a good year to heal and fitten up enough to attempt sitting on one of the plods, see if you really ever want to do it again. But not with this horse.

scats

Visit site
I think I’ve been following your journey since your fall.
Personally, I would sell and buy something pretty much bombproof if you still want to ride.
Not in the same league as your injury, but I nearly lost my foot in an accident off one of mine last year. Badly smashed up ankle and lower leg with no detectable pulse in my foot for a worrying amount of time. As a result I have a decent amount of metal in my leg.
I haven’t got back on that horse yet and I’m unsure if I will. It has affected my riding and I won’t sit on anything that doesn’t feel right. Or if I do, I get straight back off.

I’m fortunate I have another mare who I trust and feel safe on, but even she has done a few things that have bothered me, when they normally wouldn’t. I’ve accepted that I’m unlikely to go back to the rider I was pre accident.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad your walking again, I smashed my ankle after my horse fell on me while I was riding, obviously nowhere near as bad as yours but mine is full of metal, I also couldn't wait to get back riding but actually doing it without any mental repercussions is not that easy.

I'm still having confidence issues 4 years down the line and have never really gone back to being the rider I was.

I don't mean to put a downer on it but I would just give yourself some time concentrate on getting yourself well again.

Please let us know how your progress is going.

Ratface

Visit site
Im so sorry to read about your nasty accident and its' ongoing effects. Fifty-plus years ago, I was riding my big young mare up a hilly field at the farm she was liveried at. A wasp landed on her neck, and stung her. She reared straight up, lost her balance and fell backwards with me trapped underneath. She then scrambled to her feet and ran back to the yard. Staff caught her and put her away. I managed to drive myself home. Dr's. told me that I would never walk again. I did, and rode from six months after the accident. I sold the mare and bought a smaller, quiet pony. The following year, I went back to sharp horses and have ridden until up to six months ago. I've got M E and my balance is affected. Old Horse is trained to respond to balance aids, so it's not fair to him to ride him now. I miss it dreadfully but he doesn't care!
Please go at your own pace and see how you feel a bit further down the line.

Rachel18

New User
Visit site
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Really feel for you. I had an accident in June. Coming up for a second surgery next month (really messed up my wrist and arm, lots of pins and plates etc. - but this is totally different to a back injury). I think it depends if you think it was a "freak accident" or might happen again (which of course can always happen with horses, so this is a silly question).
If I am being really honest with myself, I don't know my confidence is really there yet and I am not sure I will get it back properly. I am also overly attached to safety equipment (which I was using at the time of the accident).
All of that being said, I am back on that same horse and we are having a lovely time pottering around, been to 2 shows and a clinic now. I think with this one it was genuinely a freak circumstantial accident rather than something I think is very likely to happen again frequently (but there is always this risk), that is why I have got back on.
Non horsey people can't understand why I would get back on the same horse and there has been plenty of judgement (or I might be overly sensitive).

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your accident. And your recovery so far has been amazing. To think that a body can repair from being paralyse.
this time 6 years ago , I had 4 horses, now have none , and I am ok with that. Polo pony went to a new family, big lad 17 h went to god daughter, he is still with her though he is 20, sold the Irish sports horse as he was young, and the old girl, 26 went to retirement but passed few years ago.
I too had an accident, not a fall but was bowled over by a run away cow that caused my broken coccyx, shoulder injury, and horrible bruises. Back pain is terrible sometimes, and shoulder will never really be ok. It’s my dominant arm too
so no more horses. I do sometimes, on a nice spring morning wish for things gone in the past, but I couldn’t do 4 horses , no help, no job, and dependants needing me 24/7 now,
I got used to it. I volunteer at events now.
whatever you decide, something will fill the gap

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think you should sell, or at least a long term loan. It will remove the pressure of "will I ride him or not" all the time and you can then concentrate on doing as much as you can and recovery.

Best of luck, I hope you do well.

I see that Oaksey House has been mentioned, there is also the Mark Davies Charity for riders who have been injured.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
Not quite the same but I had 2 bad horse accidents in a short space of time after losing my OH. I ended up in hospital with no one to bring me home or care for me. It was hard and made me think. My lorry died and I couldn't replace it and my old boy was PTS as he'd had enough. As I was likely to fall off the other horse he went out on permanent loan. Whilst it was hard, and there are parts I miss desperately, I enjoy more money and more time. I have my dogs and do more agility and compete with them. It seems like it was the right time for everything. I had lots of people telling me what I should do after my OH died. They were all right but it took me nearly 2 years to come to that conclusion myself. You have to do what's right for you and I suspect you know what that is. You're just struggling to come to terms with it. I wish you luck and would say trust your instincts and don't rush into anything you may regret.

mbf938

Visit site
I did. TBH I wish I hadnt. I found it endlessly frustrating that I just wasnt every good anymore, and the physical work of looking after horses just added more wear and tear to a knackered body. I did do some teaching for a while but then got an office job. I took up carriage driving for a while and absolutely loved it, but thought I still wanted to ride, so sold up and started riding.

I'm now 10yrs down the line and I've sold up completely. I do miss "my" horses but I don't miss the generic horses and I absolutely do not miss the cold, the wet, the god awful slog and the added pain. I would not have been told any of this though and pigheadedly limped on pushing myself to absolute extremes for years. It was pretty miserable on the whole. Ironically it was after a significant improvement in my health and mobility that it suddenly dawned on me that this was as good as it was going to get, and it wasnt good enough for me to balance out the other stuff. I think for so long I held onto the idea that it would get better if I just did X or Y or Z. Then I hit my limits riding wise, and suddenly saw sense. I went down from 3 horses to 1 to see if that helped, then just woke up one day and knew. I owned the best horse in all the world, absolutely perfect for me, but I just didnt want to do it anymore. I cant really explain it. It felt like it had been creeping up on me for a long time, then all of a sudden, bam. I was done.

Weirdly enough there is a world after horses and I quite like it. I've gone back to uni as a mature student, have 2 amazing dogs, live on a boat and am free to go travelling all summer. When unis over I'll go and do a masters elsewhere probably, or I might take some time out to travel further afield. I dont know yet and dont have to decide yet. One thing is for certain I wont be going back to full time work and I wont need to now. And I wont be tied by horses and finding yards and earning enough money to keep them.

Its a good feeling.
Thank you for this. I would quite like a break from horses for the next 6 months at least tbh. I feel quite overwhelmed trying to manage myself physically as well as trying to care for a horse. It’s tricky though as the people around me don’t think that’s the right move but the offers of help don’t seem to come to fruition!

mbf938

Visit site
I think I follow you on instagram, if so you're in the right place for training. With regards advice post injury have you thought about contacting Oaksey House for advice - they're probably the best place to ask for the physical and mental support side. They’ll be honest with you too. I would be listening to medical advice first, then the equestrian industry.

Certainly in my experience of coaching RDA - you may feel different (whether positively or negatively) when you do get to sit on something again for the first time. For example, if you get on a school horse and go 'this is what I need' it may then help you make the decision about your own, if he is indeed unsuitable. I helped a close friend of a well known Team GB rider get back on for the first time post an appalling car accident (said team member didn't have anything suitable in their yard) and it helped them reasses what they needed, and actually wanted from riding.

Ets - there is a possibility however you sit on something and decide you don’t want to ride again, and that’s ok too.
Thank you - I will look up Oaksby House.

mbf938

Visit site
Do you have kids, partner, other job and/or comfortably well off??Could you afford to never work again? Sorry to be morbid but you need to be realistic. The steel will stop your back bending for the next fall, possibly causing more severe injuries above and below the repair.
A dear friend suffered severe injuries after a car hit her horse. She is doggedly riding on a new horse but only does flatwork, no hacking and is suffering a lot of pain as she ages, much like I'm Dun's post. I can see it all needing to stop soon but she is doggedly carrying on because she cannot imagine what to do with herself with no horses.
I work with spinal injuries and have had surgery myself, the risk is not worth it for me, no more riding.
Only you can make the judgement call. You can fall off the safest schoolmaster on the flat or be like Fallon Taylor and Nick Skelton and continue with a full riding career.
Dont do anything rash, allow healing and reflection. You can still coach and teach.
Yes I asked the surgeon about this and his view was to go and live my life and
Yes, I’ve heard this so I talked to my spinal surgeon about my concerns but his view was to ride after 12 months if I wanted to as he said people have same surgery for scoliosis and ride after. My spinal unit consultation also didn’t have problems with it, but online I have seen several say about the risk of damage due to the metal. My surgeon and consultant were more concerned that I go out and live my life rather than worry over potential damage. My spinal unit believe they have failed if a person leaves too frightened to do anything for fear of an accident, but of course as it can happen once, it could happen again!

Kirstd33

Visit site
A little bit different but I too have titanium rods, plates and a cage in my lower lumber spine, not as a result of an accident but unfortunately from stress fractures, incurred as a child but only came to light in my early 40's when i was doing a LOT of running, up to marathon distance and at a fairly decent level. I was gutted, had the surgery but no more running for me sadly :( anyhow once it fused and I was fit enough again I have returned to riding as its the only thing that gives me the buzz like running did. I've bought a small 14.1 lightweight cob who loves hacking and that's what we do, when I'm feeling brave we have the odd canter and I've even started having lessons on him. I'm not sure my surgeon would approve but hey life is short and I firmly believe in quality over quantity

clairebearfur1

Visit site

OMG Im gld to hear your recovering! That must of been scary

mbf938

Visit site
A little bit different but I too have titanium rods, plates and a cage in my lower lumber spine, not as a result of an accident but unfortunately from stress fractures, incurred as a child but only came to light in my early 40's when i was doing a LOT of running, up to marathon distance and at a fairly decent level. I was gutted, had the surgery but no more running for me sadly :( anyhow once it fused and I was fit enough again I have returned to riding as its the only thing that gives me the buzz like running did. I've bought a small 14.1 lightweight cob who loves hacking and that's what we do, when I'm feeling brave we have the odd canter and I've even started having lessons on him. I'm not sure my surgeon would approve but hey life is short and I firmly believe in quality over quantity
If it makes you feel any better, my surgeon is not against me returning to riding as it’s the same surgery done on scoliosis patients who are encouraged to lead full, active lives post surgery.

Backtoblack

Visit site
Is he suitable for working livery at the riding school? That would buy you time, you retain ownership and if the right person comes along you could then share with a view to selling if you wish,that way you don't need to make any hasty decisions you may regret in the future

Kirstd33

Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, my surgeon is not against me returning to riding as it’s the same surgery done on scoliosis patients who are encouraged to lead full, active lives post surgery.
thats ok then! My surgeon was a bit more cautious, although he did say to go and live my life! I went on trip to alton towers in the summer with the school I work in and actually went on all the big rides, no huge repercussions just a bit more sore the next day. the biggest thing for me now is maintaining flexibility and I have a little 20 routine that I try to fit in most days just to keep my lower spine moving, good luck with the rest of your recovery and feel free to PM me if you like x

mbf938

Visit site
Is he suitable for working livery at the riding school? That would buy you time, you retain ownership and if the right person comes along you could then share with a view to selling if you wish,that way you don't need to make any hasty decisions you may regret in the future
He was on working livery, but so few people could ride him that it wasn’t worth it for them sadly. He didn’t like being ridden by multiple people. So he’s now home on livery up the road having been out of work for a few months and I can’t do anything with him as I am. I offered him on loan to someone but they wanted something different.