What do I do now?

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
So after 6 mnths of having new pony my daughter has decided boys are more fun! so I'm now stuck with a 14'2 5 yr old pony that I can't ride ( I'm too heavy) so what are the odds that someone would want swap for a happy hacker so I can get back in the saddle? Or am I living in fantasy land?

We have spent a fortune on her pony and im gutted. I put on hold my ridding so she could have her pony :(

Guess that's kids eh!

Dubsie

Visit site
I'd sell through the pony club, have winter off, then take your time to buy a nice one as you go into spring. Am lucky daughter not into boys yet and her 14h I can ride.

Or diet drastically and keep the nice 14.2 you bought for yourself.

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
I've advertised her for sale in a few places. we have excellent facilities at yard so don't want to loose place maybe if I loaned her out with view to buy or something? Such a nightmare :(

MissChaos

Visit site
I've advertised her for sale in a few places. we have excellent facilities at yard so don't want to loose place maybe if I loaned her out with view to buy or something? Such a nightmare :(

If you sell her and look for something else, can you just pay the livery to keep your stable? That's happened on ours and while you're shelling out for an empty stable, you've still got one as soon as you need it and wouldn't have thought it would exactly bother YO!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If you are well balanced I would say 12 stone would be fine. No idea what you weigh but you are certainly not too tall for her.

lochpearl

Visit site
You'd be fine and she'll tell you if not!! I'd just hold off on the jumping and more strenuous work until you are both a bit fitter, but she should be fine to get you back in the saddle!

BigRed

Visit site
Your connie will carry 12 stone easy. Excuse me for saying so, if you are only 5'2 and weight 14 stone, it will do you the world of good to lose 2 stone. Keep the pony, take him for walks in hand, which will be good for both of you, and help you lose some weight. Go and join WW or something like it today - honestly with an incentive like a nice pony to ride, that weight will fall off you.

It is MUCH harder to find a nice, safe horse, than to lose 2 stone. Keep the pony.

Bettyboo1976

Visit site
She is not the easiest ride as she only been in proper work since may and can be a handful at times. Yes I know I need to go on a diet. 18 mnths of being out the saddle has that effect :(

Clippy

Visit site
Sounds to me like you need a steady cob, not a 5 year old! I'd maybe see if you could do a part-ex for something more suitable for you.

Flippin kids :(

northernnewfiediva

Visit site
I would agree with all the other replies - definately keep the pony, you will probably lose weight poo picking and all other chores over winter, just in time to really get going in the spring. You are a perfect height for a 14.2 - I'm 5.2 and ride a full up 13.2 NF,( which I 'inherited' from my teenage daughter!) jumps 1.m when I'm being brave. Have a few lessons to get going and enjoy. Ponies are absolutely the best, there isn't anything you can't do on them and they are lower maintenance than horses ( generalisation I know - sorry!)

Enjoy

lochpearl

Visit site
as long as you are honest about your weight and are a nice light and balanced rider then the weight isn't too much of an issue, if you are a heavy rider with not much balance or experience then that is a different matter.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
A healthy, sound horse can carry 20% of its own (healthy) body weight. 14 stone is just under 89 kilos. If your pony weighs 400kg (or more, which he quite possibly does), you'll be fine.

20% of 400 kg is 80 kg which is around 12 1/2 stone. You also need to add on the weight of tack which can easily be another 5 kg.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
20% of 400 kg is 80 kg which is around 12 1/2 stone. You also need to add on the weight of tack which can easily be another 5 kg.

Oops, sorry. Yep, worked out 25%. Still, dodgy maths (mine) aside, it's quite possible that if the pony is a chunky type and fit he will be able to carry the OP with v little effort. Particularly as she rides light.

Sorry again; meant to add that, in general terms, an unbalanced rider, even on the largest of horses can cause all sorts of soundness/back issues.

Last edited:

lochpearl

Visit site
Oops, sorry. Yep, worked out 25%. Still, dodgy maths (mine) aside, it's quite possible that if the pony is a chunky type and fit he will be able to carry the OP with v little effort. Particularly as she rides light.

Sorry again; meant to add that, in general terms, an unbalanced rider, even on the largest of horses can cause all sorts of soundness/back issues.

agreed and lameness issues also

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Is there anyone who could keep the pony going for you until spring when it's a bit easier to sell. By then you could also reassess your situation. eg. your daughter may want to ride again, you may have lost some weight and would be ready to start riding again so could either ride the pony or sell the pony and find something a bit more suitable. Whatever happens I don't think you should sell the pony now. Have a nice winter of taking her for walks and doing as many chores as you can (great for losing weight) and building up a bond with the pony. If she's a nice sort then once you lose some weight then you may not need something quieter.

Good luck with the weightloss, I know how hard it is but focus on getting back in the saddle again. That's normally the best motivation!