What do people think of Bowen equine massage?

katiey

Visit site
I think it is great - i was a little unsure at first as i couldnt get my head around how such small movements could have such a big effect on horses.
My boys all love it... They visit 'Planet Bowen' really relaxed (almost look sedated - head down, lips floppy). Its very gentle and i have seen great results on my horses. One of my horses had a really tight poll area and physio was not an option as i could see he was uncomfortable and didnt need rough! Bowen was amazing... really helped.
I have also had Bowen treatment myself - wow its wierd but again great. I am quite wonky (see physio, chiro's etc) but again needed a more gentle approx and OMG was great (wierd sensations through treatment) but did the trick and is so relaxing.. x

NZJenny

Visit site
Like all types of treatment, it all depends on the skill of the practitioner. I use a wonderfully talented Bowen practitioner and it is very easy to see how the horses react to her and I get great results. One horse is doing endurance and the other dressage. However, have used other practitioners and it's all been a bit ho-hum really.

ribbons

Visit site
Having struggled with my back for most of my life, trying all the usual treatments (chiro etc) and always ending up back on painkillers, I was ready to try anything.
I started having Bowen treatments 10 years ago, and I can't recommend it highly enough. I haven't touched a painkiller in all that time. The treatments were for my back, but I've not had the regular headaches I used to suffer from either.
For those that think its nonsense and rubbish, fine. I won't argue.
Anyone who is interested, I would urge to try it. The results are incredible.
I'm afraid I take a visit to my practitioner a bit for granted now, but in the early days I was in tears of relief at being pain free for the first time in years.
Like all these things you need to choose your practitioner carefully, mine was by personal recommendation. Sadly she doesn't treat animals, but she did recommend someone who does. Unfortunately they are a hundred miles from me so I don't get them out often. I have been unable to find anyone nearer for the animals that I consider good enough.

flaxen tail

Visit site
I have had great success with equine bowen ,my mares saddle always slipped to one side but equine bowen cured it after one treatment. My horses love the treatment and always relax and we dont tie them up so if they wanted they could walk off but they just love it and stay. Its a nice treatement for them either if you have a problem or just as maintenance and to release any tight spots.

TrasaM

Visit site
I don't know too much about Bowen therapy but I've been practicing the Masterson Method for the past few months and this will have similar effects on the horse. Horses are amazingly sensitive to our energy and because they are not restricted by verbal communications their responses show us immediately whether we are in the right area. It's quite beautiful to watch when they relax and let go of the emotional and physical tensions they are carrying.
Brambridge04. I'd be really interested to reading about how your horse responds.

Goldenstar

Visit site
There several sorts of therapys in this group they are pleasant for horses and have a role in keeping horses in hard work comfortable .But they must never be used as alternative to calling the vet to a not right horse .
They are not qualified to find out what's wrong with a horse as long as people never forget this they have a role.

Floxie

Visit site
Bowen had no formal medical training,and described his approach as a "gift from God". He referred to himself as an osteopath and tried to join the Australian register of osteopaths in 1981, but did not qualify for the title. He died an unrecognized practitioner of manual therapy; it was not until some years later that the term "Bowen Technique" was invented.

... seems legit o_O

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowen_technique

Hurricanelady

Visit site
I believe the equine version is called Equine Muscle Release Therapy (EMRT) for horses (http://www.emrt.net.au/) and qualified practitioners have to qualify on people first before they then do their further qualification on horses. All mine have it and they really enjoy the treatments, finding them very relaxing and it also appears to promote accelerated healing when they have issues - it is not however just a "massage" treatment.

khalswitz

Visit site
There several sorts of therapys in this group they are pleasant for horses and have a role in keeping horses in hard work comfortable .But they must never be used as alternative to calling the vet to a not right horse .
They are not qualified to find out what's wrong with a horse as long as people never forget this they have a role.

This exactly. I am very open to alternative techniques, my Mum being a Reiki practitioner and having experienced it myself, and having seen a shocking effect on my horse. I have no explanation for it, if it benefits, then great. But it is no alternative to proper vet treatment.

My horse gets Reiki, sees a physio, and gets an old style 'back man' in - he benefits from all three, but if he ever went lame he'd have a vet.

Brambridge04

Visit site
Just to point out there is nothing wrong with my mare.... This is being done as a mates coursework. She has a physio vet or chiro or farrier for problems x

TrasaM

Visit site
Just to point out there is nothing wrong with my mare.... This is being done as a mates coursework. She has a physio vet or chiro or farrier for problems x

Lol, I got that. But she will still enjoy it :) I have to borrow horses to practice on too and I prefer healthy ones :)

scheherazade

Visit site
Can anyone explain please, using very short, simple words, the difference between Bowen, McTimoney and any other kind of back treatment? I always thought physio was muscular and chiro was structural but no idea on the differences between the different chiropractic types. I had a feeling some are more accepted by vets than others but very happy to be corrected as I don't actually know. thanks

Last edited: