What do people think of treeless saddles?

GinaGeo

Visit site
I don't know about other treeless or treed saddle companies, but I know Solution offer a two week trial period with their saddles. £50 a week. Knocked off the purchase price if you buy the saddle :)

I do think you will need to try saddles out to find your preference :)

planete

Visit site
I have dodgy hips and ride a medium wide horse in an old Barefoot Cheyenne. I have however made sure that it does not tip me forward or back by using appropriate padding. On an imperfectly balanced saddle the rider braces to compensate which stresses the joints and muscles leading to stiffness and pain. For me this is more important than the width or depth of the seat. If I can seat relaxed I am less likely to hurt during and after riding. I am totally with the physio about saddles with a narrow twist, they cripple me as they do not support the thighs.
This is of course just my personal experience. It must surely depend on your shape, just as the saddle must fit the horse it also needs to fit you.

intouch

Visit site
Check out enlightenedequitation.com Heather Moffett's site, she is producing abrilliant new leather treed saddle, the Flexee. Might be what you are looking for.

Oberon

Visit site
I( have a Saddle Solutions one, it has a twist. I wouldnt entertain getting a cheapy (Indian or otherwise) one off the internet, having seen inside some of them, seriously not good stuff.
I think you can only decide if treeless is for you by actually riding in some. Different brands and models, dont just try one and say its not for you. You can hire some brands to trial, and see if you can borrow other peoples to have a ride on.
Also, be aware there is a weight limit for some saddles.

agree.gif

There are many different treeless saddles with different twists and seats.

One treeless saddle doesn't make it representative of the whole ethos of treeless.

I think a Trekker would be suitable for your needs.
http://www.trekkersaddles.co.uk/shop.html

Cloud9

Visit site
I'm interested that you feel they are deeper - most people find that a treeless, however comfortable, will always be a little shallower and less supportive than a treed saddle. You need to be a well balanced rider to ride in treeless. I fit traditional and flexi panel saddles and i'm not a fan, though in some circyumstances they can work. I'd not recommend one here though - they have wider twists which means your hips will be opened more, and you may need more support. There are plenty of treed saddles out there which would be more suitable for the show ring and would give you that support.

And I would never recommend one of the cheap ones from Inida - you'd not buy a treed saddle from there, a treeless takes good technology to spread the weight of the stirrups, and that costs money. Avoid cheap new saddles like the plague! I have heard too many horror stories of what you CAN'T see in them.

I totally agree with all the points in sblooms thread. i tried a treeess saddle on my heavyweight cob and it was the worst money ever spent. Back to a treed saddle now and feel so much more secure, I was scarec to ride in the treeless and had no support at all plus the extremely wide twist gave me a groin strain!!!