What do people use to pull an arena leveller?

nmilner

New User
Visit site
We will hopefully soon be having an arena/manege installed and this started me thinking about what to use to pull the leveller? I'm guessing the options range from ride on mower all the way up to a full sized tractor but as the arena will be the standard 20mx40m size becomes a factor. I'd be grateful to find out what people with similar size arenas use?

eggs

Visit site
20 x 40 arena and I use a quad bike - which is also used for loads of other things

nmilner

New User
Visit site
I had never thought of a car as an option (that's 3 so far). Isn't it a bit tight in a 20 x 40m arena for a car?

hock

Visit site
Quad, lawn mower or a navara. I just use a Cambridge roller though not a grader.

CMcC

Visit site
I have used ride on mower in the past. one was a disaster and got stuck - quite light Husqvana the heavier Westwood was OK, not great. Now use my Suzuki Jimny which does a great job.

catembi

Visit site
I have sand & fibre surface & a 6ft grader. I have a 2WD 300cc Kawasaki & tbh it struggles. I could really do with upgrading to a 400cc 4WD but I'd never had a quad before & didn't know where to start. It's okay when I start grading, but when I go over the bits I've already done, it gets bogged down & can't manage once the surface is fluffed up. It is also stalling when hot & refusing to restart so all in all I'm a bit cross with it! It is probably also a bit cross with me, to be fair, because the grader is slightly too much for it.

Akkalia1

Visit site
Does it need to be a 4WD tractor mower or do you reckon a standard 2WD mower would work ok?
Oh, I'm not too sure, I think ours was a 4WD.

The quad that I currently use though I just keep it in 2WD while doing both the grading and rolling, however my surface is sand/fibre topped with automotive fibre and the grader really just tickles the surface topper to even it out, I don't want it going down in to the sand. If you're needing to do more heavy duty grading you might need 4WD.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have used a horse, a 2wd small ride on lawnmower and a Toyota pickup on a 30x40 and they all worked fine.

tatty_v

Visit site
We use the ride on mower and a custom leveller that is a bit smaller and lighter (and cheaper!) than the arenamate. To be fair, it’s probably on the cusp of being too much for the mower, but we don’t have a quad so we manage!