What do you all do for jobs and how do they fit in with horses?

madamebonnie

Visit site
I work in cell therapy production. Pretty strict 8-4 but often later as we can't always control production hours. An hour commute each way on a slow bus in heavy traffic and yard is 30 mins drive in the evening (20 mins off peak times). He's on part livery (feed, turn in/out no mucking out) as I need someone in the mornings and am not able to be there for farrier visits. Luckily fab farrier and yard are able to sort him out.

I wish I could work somewhere not in the city centre. Or afford to live closer to the green bits.

windand rain

Visit site
used to design plant labels not the computer graphics bit but the care instructions and photo choices. Loved every minute of it learned a lot but it was very long winter hours. The worst for caring for 9 ponies used to go in the morning turn out muck out and set fair for night time. At work for 9am. Left work at 9pm drove the hour home and fetched them all in. When the mood took him my teenage son had been the pony fairy and sent the afternoon bringing in and grooming so many night I just had to go home after a quick check he never wanted to ride but loved the peace and tranquility of rubbing a brush over a warm pony Oh did all the house work child care and cooking in winter as I rarely got home before 10 it was a 7 day a week job from november to May. I am now happily retired and love the luxury of doing the bit the boy did although they all live out now and we only have 5 under our care

LeannePip

Visit site
At the moment I work for a SME Software company 8-4 as Business Support. The horse is on full livery 3 days a week and turned out/ bought in the others, so i just go up and ride in the evening and muck out on my days.

Works well for us as shes in the same routine with her friends and I get the benefit of not rushing around every day!

I'm starting a new job in the new year which is a later start and closer to home but a later finish so I intend to do her a couple of mornings before work, but then not sure what i'll do with my evenings . . .

Stanfin

New User
Visit site
I'm a CEO of a Charity, work over 40 hours per week Mon - Friday, horses top class show horses. Up at 5.15 in the morning to do my three, soon to be four, hubby helps in the morning. Normally back home about 4.30, thankfully my horses are at home and one is on part loan so have help. No time for people who do diddly squat and moan about not having time to do their horses, trot on and get on with it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I work investigating train delays. My employer is very good. I work full time hours but compressed into 4 days, so 7 till 4 ish Monday. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. I've just moved from as I'm disabled and tend to have periods when I'm not well enough to work or look after the horse. My partner and a very good friend pick up the slack but its not fair on either of them. He was on a total DIY yard but hes now gone to somewhere I can get services ad hoc. Hes 10 miles from home but as its on the way to work its only half a mile detour.

I'm doing him twice a day at the minute but I will probably opt for permanent help one end of the day once we get settled in.

Visit site
I work full time as a receptionist Mon-Fri 9-5. I have 3 horses (2 of my own and 1 that belongs to my partner) all on DIY.
I usually do them in the mornings. Im up the yard by 8. Give them some breakfast, change rugs, then turn them out. Leave the yard by 8:30.
In the evenings my partner comes up with me to help do them for the night. We usually get there for about 5:45ish. Muck out, haynets, water, bring in, change rugs, feed. We're home for around 7ish.

Translationsneeded

Visit site
Just being nosey really 😊

People often make comments about me being mad working full time (8-5, Mon-Fri) and having 2 horses totally on DIY with no assistance.... But I don't think that's particularly crazy!

Reassure me people... Tell me about your crazy lives and how your jobs fit in with your horses!

Also love hearing about crazy out there jobs that people have 😊

This is me with an hours commute either side. It’s knackering but better than sitting on my backside every spare hour after work watching tv!
I work in IT

little_critter

Visit site
I'm an accountant working 9-5 Mon-Fri with a 40 minute commute. I have 2 on DIY with no assistance. Luckily they seem content to be the last 2 out of an evening (touch wood).
Last year when I just had the one and she wouldn't stay out alone, I turned out a friends horse in the morning in return for her bringing mine in in the evening.

Hipo

Visit site
I own a shop. Its very full time and not at all flexible. I have help on a Monday afternoon, so that is my only time off except sunday, and I don't have a lunch hour. I have 2 on DIY, but pay for turnout and bring in on certain days. I am struggling a bit with having 2 this year and not getting much riding done. My husband works horribly long hours, so I do all the cooking. I really need to be down to one next year so I can actually enjoy it instead of it being a slog. Someone needs to remind me of this in summer when its all so nice and easy!!

chaps89

Visit site
I work full time in account management for an insurance company and then pick up extra hours at a local pub (been there so long I can pretty much pick and choose what I do :eek: ) luckily my boss is pretty good and I work 10-6 3 days a week (9-5 on the other 2) so I always have time to ride in the light 3 mornings a week as well as weekends all year round. I can also work from home on days where she has a physio appointment or vets etc. I'm very fortunate in that respect! Horse is on total DIY but out 24/7 so i have a degree of flexibility in what time I have to be there/what days I poo pick etc. I also have a marvellous freelancer who will help if I'm away with work or out for the day etc.
I worked 9-5 once and lasted just a few weeks - for me it's not so much the job as the environment I work in and shift work or a slightly later start really makes the difference for me.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'm a facilities manager managing a large business park. I'm fifteen minutes from home where the two horses are, so go home daily for lunch to let the dog out. My horses live out 24/7. Basic facilities, no school so as of yesterday both have their shoes off and wont come back into work until nearer the clocks changing next year.

BallyJ

Visit site
I used to work with horses but found it was my own that suffered.

Now i do 9-5 in Logistics! and get to have my dogs in the office with horses next door.

Turn out for 8.30 in office with dogs walked for 9 then back out at 5 muck out and bring in for 6/6.30 and walk pooches again :)

Asha

Visit site
I now work with hubby in our family business ( after working in the poultry industry for 15 years ). I work from home, the (7) horses are also at home, so makes life a bit easier. I share the horsey work with my daughter, who works as a groom for a local eventer.

Kat

Visit site
I'm a lawyer, it is supposed to be 9-5, I also have a long commute. Therefore horse is on a livery package that includes turnout, bring in, mucking out, rug changes, holding for the vet/farrier and feeding so all I have to do is groom and exercise. I did DIY for a while when I had a shorter commute but I couldn't do it now and still enjoy riding (under lights in winter!)

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I’m a lawyer. My hours vary a lot, but on average I do 9.30-6.30pm though I can finish at 7/7.30pm on a fairly regular basis and if I’ve got cases coming up to trial it’s not unusual for me to finish at 9/10pm and work the odd weekend too. I have an hour’s commute each way by public transport. All in all, it’s a fairly long day. Needless to say my horse is on full livery and I try to get up 2/3 times in the week and on weekends (though I’m away every other weekend to see my partner in a different city).

Prior to this job I was on DIY for over a decade so it’s been a big change. I even stayed on DIY (with two horses) for the first year of the role, however neither got ridden and I was permanently knackered! One day I’ll leave city and do a 9-5 with a shorter commute but for now horses are taking a backseat to career/ability to buy a house!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I can now say I'm a nurse rather than a student!

I do 3 12.5hr shifts a week, days or nights. That gives me 4 riding days on days and 6 riding days on nights.

I have 3 on DIY. My dad does the days I'm at work, I generally manage when on nights.

JJS

Visit site
I have four on DIY, and two of those are incredibly high maintenance horses. None of them are currently ridden, so that makes life easier for now, but I should have my five year old back in work come spring. Luckily, I'm a self-employed copywriter, so I'm able to set my days up around them.

Ahrena

Visit site
I swapped from freelance grooming to taking calls for the police 6 months ago. Needed more money and I'd be sick of horses by the time I got to mine!

I work 24/7 shifts and have a 45 min commute. I have 2 horses on DIY. I have a fantastic sharer who rides 1 and she generally does 1 end of the day. Struggling a bit with it to be honest as I feel really guilty relying on her so heavily but she swears she loves it.

It does give me loads of time 1 end of the day though, I mostly work evenings so start between 11-2 and finish between 7-10. In the new year I'm due to start 10 hour shifts so only 4 days a week which will help I think even if I won't get much sleep between work riding and commuting but hey ho. I'm supposed to be getting more night shifts in the new year too which I prefer as I can do the horses myself as I really miss that.

Ceriann

Visit site
Solicitor - in house after a long period in private practice, which didn't work for a life in general, never mind one with horses. Current job still demanding but manageable - horses at home. Up at 6 every morning and constantly knackered with winter but have great facilities we put in ourselves (yard with a school), so ride a lot more now. I might try and get some help a day or two a week next winter but currently, just about managing, using every time saving tip available!

SpottyTB

Visit site
I childmind tues/weds/Thursday and have Friday/sat/sun and Monday off, I am extremely lucky admittedly. Work days, I get to the yard between 7.30/8, muck out 3 and sort out everything for the evening... I then leave for work at 8.45, work until 5.30/6 but luckily my mother in law - who has 3 out of the 5 - brings in at night. It works really well like this and allows both of us a break at one end of the day!

rara007

Visit site
I’m a vet so in current job I am 8.30-7pm 2 days, 8-5pm 2 days and 8.30-6.30pm one day, along with 2 in 5 Saturdays and regular late finishes. 35 min each way journey. 1 lively dog and generally 2 ponies in work- I pay for help with the ponies and the dog depending on week. Couldn’t do it without!

Last edited:

tatty_v

Visit site
I'm a lawyer in the office 8.30am - 6pm 3 days a week and 2 from home, which are a godsend. I also have a 1.5hr commute each way. Pony is on DIY but we have a great yard where we swap favours for each other, so he is brought in for me in the afternoons. Still up at 5am to muck out though! Try to ride 3 days in the week and both days at weekends but we don't have an indoor school so suffer the vagaries of the weather!

meleeka

Visit site
Myself and OH have our own small business so I never start work before 11. I spent years working full time and not on livery so my pony time is precious to me, even if it does mean working in the evenings.

claireandnadia

Visit site
I work 8 - 4.30 Monday to Friday and Sundays 9 - 6 and this is how it all works.

Monday - Friday - my mum goes via the yard on the way to work to turn out. I go after work to bring in, muck out etc

Sundays - I turn our before work and I have a sharer who does everything on the PM shift.

Monday to Friday during the summer I ride 2/3 times a week and winter depends on the conditions of the school as it stays frozen most of the time.

Adonissaan

Visit site
I'm an accountant going through my qualifications still so I share at the moment and it works wonderfully!

When I'm done all my exams I hope to get my own horse again. I am Monday-Friday 9-5pm but have been taking half days through the winter to see him which is good for all of us at the moment! :)

Griffin

Visit site
Teacher with one pony on part livery. I also have a very kind friend at the same yard to to help out on the evenings I can't do due to meetings. I would love to work from home, I just need a suitable and lucrative talent!

abbijay

Visit site
I work in the project management team of a construction company. It's 7.30-5pm but I'm only part time so I don't work Mondays - this is a lag from the kids only starting school this year but I'm loathe to give up my 6 hours to get my life sorted just yet!
Horse is on part livery so I usually just go down in an evening when the kids are in bed and the hubby's back from work to ride, muck out and groom. Thankfully my yard owners think nothing of me arriving at 8.30pm if the hubby has had to work late as they know I'm quiet and tidy so won't cause them any trouble.

exracehorse

Visit site
I’m a cleaner. Ride in between jobs during day in winter as no lights. Usually end
Up spreading hay throughout the house after I’ve taken my boots off!