What do you call slices of hay?

holeymoley

Visit site
Just a bit of musing really , I've heard lots over the years but today I heard it being called a 'fold' of hay ...? I usually just say a slice or a section . In years gone by I would've said a leaf but I tend not to use that now. What does everyone else call them? Is it a geographic thing I wonder ...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just a bit of musing really , I've heard lots over the years but today I heard it being called a 'fold' of hay ...? I usually just say a slice or a section . In years gone by I would've said a leaf but I tend not to use that now. What does everyone else call them? Is it a geographic thing I wonder ...

I have always used section of hay because to me it is a section

Would never call it a Biscuit as we have a cremello horse call Biscuit on the yard and Yard owner supplies Biscuits for our coffee room and I can just imagine her serving us a Biscuit of hay with our morning coffee. lol

Last edited:

GemG

Visit site
It's a 'leaf' of hay... ...clearly..! ;-)

I'm in Scotland, but originally midlands then NE England.. so my geographic relation is no use.

Last edited:

TandD

Visit site
Oh my god! Ive never met anyone else call a 'slice' of hay a biscuit! People ask what the h**l I'm going on about when I asked for x biscuits of hay.

I picked this up from a very old racing yard manager, always called it a biscuit.
I do use a 'slice' or a 'section' when talking to non horsey/strangers as I've come to realise not many use biscuit.

Also a little weird as I own a horse called biscuit.....so I give biscuit biscuits!! !!