What do you call slices of hay?

Lyle

Visit site
Biscuit! Although some friends when I was younger called it a leaf, so that's an alternative I use when people look at me blankly when I call it a biscuit

Cowpony

Visit site
I learnt to ride 45 years ago in Yorkshire and back then we called it a wad. At my current yard in Berkshire we call it a slice, but when I'm not thinking I still call it a wad.

RubysGold

Visit site
Weird. I never realised there were so many words for it.
If someone asked me to get the horse a biscuit of hay I would be very confused!!!
I call it a leaf of hay

Northern

Visit site
I've heard that! A young groom starting her first live in job was asked to give her charges two biscuits each last thing at night. So she did, from her own stash of digestives...

The challenges of our language :p When I first introduced dad to "biscuits" he thought it was very odd, now he gets super excited if he is allowed to give my horse her "biscuit" of hay!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
haha this is something that I've been thinking about recently.

I say slice or section.

I was at work and said to my colleagues "Sam has no grass in his field, so I've got to go up at lunch time and give him a slice of hay" they all cracked up laughing thinking it sounded like I was going to give him some toast!

My YM calls it a tuck - which I've never heard before?

riding_high

Visit site
Section. I'm originally from west wales. I don't hear it called a section much anymore it's, flap, wedge, biscuit, fold and anything else you can think of.

*Sahara

Visit site
Just a bit of musing really , I've heard lots over the years but today I heard it being called a 'fold' of hay ...? I usually just say a slice or a section . In years gone by I would've said a leaf but I tend not to use that now. What does everyone else call them? Is it a geographic thing I wonder ...

I call them Slides :D live in the west midlands.