What do you class as genuinely over or under rugging?

Sparklepony

Visit site
Ok I know another rug post but bare with me whilst I explain. It seems people's idea of under rugging and over rugging vary alot, so thought this may be interesting, bare in mind its all hypothetical please.

Right you have 4 horses to rug/ not rug. They are listed below. Please reply with what you would / wouldn't rug with on the 2 days examples I have given below

Day one.All the horses are turned out, they come in at night. They have grass in their fields and hay in there stables. In the day its 6 degrees and windy plus heavy rain, there is no natural shelter in the fields, the temp drops to 3 degrees over night.

Day two. Again horses out in the day, in at night. It's minus 2 no wind or rain.

Horse A is a 12 year old fit and competing TB. Fully clipped and a poor dooer.

Horse B is a retired Irish draught, unclipped and a good dooer, big thick coat. Said horse is 25

Horse C is a 11.2 Welsh pony, prone to laminitis in the summer, however is trace clipped and ridden 4 days a week

Horse D is a Tb roughed off for the winter, just out of training and still very much looks like a racehorse

Sorry if this makes no sense but my little brain thought it may be interesting to hear how others would rug or not rug. Feel free to add your own 'imaginary horse/pony'

No fights please let everyone have there say!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Horse A is a 12 year old fit and competing TB. Fully clipped and a poor dooer. - Rugged

Horse B is a retired Irish draught, unclipped and a good dooer, big thick coat. Said horse is 25 - Unrugged

Horse C is a 11.2 Welsh pony, prone to laminitis in the summer, however is trace clipped and ridden 4 days a week - Rugged

Horse D is a Tb roughed off for the winter, just out of training and still very much looks like a racehorse - Rugged

WelshD

Visit site
Horse A is a 12 year old fit and competing TB. Fully clipped and a poor dooer. - Rugged both days

Horse B is a retired Irish draught, unclipped and a good dooer, big thick coat. Said horse is 25 - Unrugged both days

Horse C is a 11.2 Welsh pony, prone to laminitis in the summer, however is trace clipped and ridden 4 days a week - Rugged day 1 and tempted to send out naked on day 2

Horse D is a Tb roughed off for the winter, just out of training and still very much looks like a racehorse - Rugged day 1 and tempted to send out naked day 2

I have to say I would be more likely to send a horse out for the day with no rugs on day 2 than day 1

windand rain

Visit site
Under rugging to me is one with no filling in winter regardless of the weather and coat
Over rugging more than one rug at a time
So horse A rugged probably heavyweight
horse B no rug or middleweight
horse c medium weight
horse rugged in a medium weight
Once rugged not inclined to swap and change so if rugged they are rugged if naked they are naked Rugs removed at least twice a week if not ridden and daily if ridden and clipped will turn rug up daily to let air under the rug and check weight gain or loss

Last edited:

Dizzleton

Visit site
DAY 1 - Heavily Rugged (A couple of Full Neck HW's + Fleece)
DAY 2 - Heavily Rugged (A couple of Full Neck HW's + Fleece)

Horse B is a retired Irish draught, unclipped and a good dooer, big thick coat. Said horse is 25
DAY 1 - Medium Full Neck possibly rainsheet over top
DAY 2 - Medium Full Neck

Horse C is a 11.2 Welsh pony, prone to laminitis in the summer, however is trace clipped and ridden 4 days a week
DAY 1 - Medium Full Neck Rug
DAY 2 - Medium Half Neck Rug

Horse D is a Tb roughed off for the winter, just out of training and still very much looks like a racehorse
DAY 1 - Full Neck HW
DAY 2 - Full Neck HW

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would always take into account the horses' behaviour when deciding to rug or not. Horses are under-rugged if they come in shivering or consistently lose weight, when they do not need to do so. Horses are over-rugged if they are uncomfortable when rugged. Owners need to be very watchful and monitor their horses carefully to check that they are comfortable - no throwing a rug on and coming back 24 hrs later.
Personally, I prefer to feed more fibre, rather than rug more when possible.
I would be inclined to agree with WelshD's opinion for these horses on these days.

ihatework

Visit site
Horse A - Well rugged both days. Likely HW full neck with an extra rug underneath

Horse B - It would depend on the horses demeanour. Likely unrugged both days, however if it was the type to stiffen up or really feel the cold it would get a MW no neck.

Horse C - MW no neck, both days providing not underweight

Horse D - HW no neck both days

be positive

Visit site
It is still not possible to give anything other than an opinion and this will vary as much the other thread,
Horse A would require good warm rugs day and night, a hw with full neck ideally.
Horse B I would probably turn out rugged lightly in wet weather and put a rug on overnight all winter, oldies can get cold and stiff stood in however thick the coat is, I would take this into account more than his weight or other factors, I do not think it fair to allow them to get so cold they get tucked up and cold.
Horse C again a light rug in wet weather, rugged overnight probably.
Horse D I would rug as lightly as possible, if being roughed off long term he will grow a thicker coat if allowed to, again rug at night.

I dont like fleeces used as under rugs, I dont find they stay in place well under a turnout and they never seem to me to be adding any real warmth as they cling and flatten the coat, I prefer a thin stable rug if anything extra is required.

I rarely chop and change rugs, too many horses to be spending every day worrying about their rugs but do not find they get over hot or cold if wearing something sensible to start with, they get added warmth from eating so unless the weather goes to extremes most wear the same rugs for several months, obviously they get taken off daily, and I have no had problems with over heating or skin conditions relating to rugging, they rare seem to get itchy except when changing coats but by then they are usually naked some of the time.

Until I came on here I had no idea what an issue rugging could be, how much time, thought and energy went into something that really should be common sense and daily checking at different times to ensure the horse is comfortable, there really is no need for it to be so complicated or cause so many heated debates.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Honestly? I simply don't see the point of this thread . . . because I believe people should rug for the individual horse's needs (not for cleanliness alone, etc.). So all this thread is doing is fanning the rugging versus not rugging debate even further.

Sorry - hormones probably skewing sense of humour/fun . . .

P

texas

Visit site
my personal definitions, assuming ad lib forage:

underrugged if losing weight or shivering and doesn't need to lose any weight!(provided not semi feral, uncatchable, never worn a rug type in which case hard feed provided)

overrugged - sweating, itchy scabs, or those that look like michelin men that can barely move for layers.

Horse A is a 12 year old fit and competing TB. Fully clipped and a poor dooer. - HW rug both days stabled and turned out.

Horse B is a retired Irish draught, unclipped and a good dooer, big thick coat. Said horse is 25 - Unrugged both days in and out

Horse C is a 11.2 Welsh pony, prone to laminitis in the summer, however is trace clipped and ridden 4 days a week - Day 1 MW during turnout, naked overnight stabled. Day 2 out naked (can run around to keep warm) and MW overnight.

Horse D is a Tb roughed off for the winter, just out of training and still very much looks like a racehorse - HW rug both days stabled and turned out.

Megibo

Visit site
Day one.All the horses are turned out, they come in at night. They have grass in their fields and hay in there stables. In the day its 6 degrees and windy plus heavy rain, there is no natural shelter in the fields, the temp drops to 3 degrees over night.

Day two. Again horses out in the day, in at night. It's minus 2 no wind or rain.

Horse A is a 12 year old fit and competing TB. Fully clipped and a poor dooer. -Day 1, HW full neck. Day 2, HW full neck with standard neck light-mw over the top (i.e 100g rug)

Horse B is a retired Irish draught, unclipped and a good dooer, big thick coat. Said horse is 25 Both days MW rug

Horse C is a 11.2 Welsh pony, prone to laminitis in the summer, however is trace clipped and ridden 4 days a week MW with neck both days

Horse D is a Tb roughed off for the winter, just out of training and still very much looks like a racehorse Standard neck HW both days

It would depend on the individuals though and how they seemed in the rugs. My own horses- 16 yr old tb mare would be in MW/HW, 18 month filly fully clipped would be in a MW (before anyone jumps on me she's clipped medical reasons), 14 year old welsh D mare fully clipped probably a 100g or MW rug as she's quite a warm horse, 4 year old HW Irish Cob trace clipped probably a 100

nikkimariet

Visit site
IMO over rugging = sticky/sweaty, under rugging = cold/shivering.

As for the situations outlined... impossible to say. I judge by how it feels on the day and based on each horse as an individual.

Horse A might be a 'hot' horse, despite being a poor doer. Horse B may well be like our retired veteran unclipped ID - a fatty, but a complete wimp! Day 1 is windy? How windy? A light breeze or gale force winds? It's rainy? Is that drizzling? Or slamming it down so hard it soaks you to your skin in seconds? Is day 2 minus 2 degrees but sunny? Or is it overcast?

I see your intention OP :) But there's just too many variables for me to consider giving an answer, hypothetical or not.

AandK

Visit site
IMO over rugging = sticky/sweaty, under rugging = cold/shivering.

As for the situations outlined... impossible to say. I judge by how it feels on the day and based on each horse as an individual.

Horse A might be a 'hot' horse, despite being a poor doer. Horse B may well be like our retired veteran unclipped ID - a fatty, but a complete wimp! Day 1 is windy? How windy? A light breeze or gale force winds? It's rainy? Is that drizzling? Or slamming it down so hard it soaks you to your skin in seconds? Is day 2 minus 2 degrees but sunny? Or is it overcast?

I see your intention OP :) But there's just too many variables for me to consider giving an answer, hypothetical or not.

This really..

One of my horses is a 16yo TB poor doer who is out 24/7, not fully clipped now living out though. However, even when he was (when younger) fully clipped and stabled over night, if I put more than a HW on him he would be sweating buckets as he is a hot horse!
Other horse is a 23yo TBxID good doer, never clipped these days as retired. But when she was younger and in work/clipped, I would put quite a few rugs on her as she felt the cold a bit.

turkana

Visit site
Without knowing the individual horses I'd be inclined to agree with WelshD but I'd want to know the horses in question before making a decision - some tbs can be very hardy & some natives can be wimps.

Rugging isn't rocket science, a horse is under rugged if it's too cold & over rugged if it's too hot, if it's comfortable it is rugged just right.

khalswitz

Visit site
Ok I know another rug post but bare with me whilst I explain. It seems people's idea of under rugging and over rugging vary alot, so thought this may be interesting, bare in mind its all hypothetical please.

Right you have 4 horses to rug/ not rug. They are listed below. Please reply with what you would / wouldn't rug with on the 2 days examples I have given below

Sorry if this makes no sense but my little brain thought it may be interesting to hear how others would rug or not rug. Feel free to add your own 'imaginary horse/pony'

No fights please let everyone have there say!

I agree that this is a pointless exercise as we don't know the horses - despite Horse A seeming in theory to need the most rugging, Horse D may well feel the cold more, and need heavier rugs! It depends on the horses and how warm they feel on the day.

To me under-rugging is if the horse is cold - his ears and elbow feel cold. Over-rugging is if horse feels too toasty, or god forbid sweaty. I think some horses need multiple rugs, although I think trying to keep the number and weight of rugs to a minimum for what they need is always something to aim for.

Despite that I'll play anyway.

Horse A - Day 1 - Middleweight, possibly with neck.
Day 2 - Middleweight, no neck

Horse B - Day 1 - Unrugged. Possibly a rainsheet if he was feeling cold due to the damp.
Day 2 - Unrugged.

Horse C - Day 1 - This one really depends on the pony, anything from a rainsheet to a MW depending on how warm he felt - if a kid is going to be riding him I don't want him being all cold and tense, as kid will struggle more to ride that. I'd probably err on MW.
Day 2 - Again, dependent on pony. I'd probably err on a 50-100gm lightweight.

Horse D - Day 1 - Another tricky one, he could be happy in a MW (if he's skinny I'd rug him up), but equally could feel the cold more due to lower condition so could need a MW with neck or even a HW.
Day 2 - MW, no neck. Again if he feels the cold then I'd go up to a HW.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
DAY 1 - Heavily Rugged (A couple of Full Neck HW's + Fleece)
DAY 2 - Heavily Rugged (A couple of Full Neck HW's + Fleece)

DAY 1 - Medium Full Neck possibly rainsheet over top
DAY 2 - Medium Full Neck

DAY 1 - Medium Full Neck Rug
DAY 2 - Medium Half Neck Rug

DAY 1 - Full Neck HW
DAY 2 - Full Neck HW

Would you really put two heavyweight rugs on a horse at the same time ?

I can barely lift my H/W fal onto my horse, I couldn't imagine a horse wearing 2.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
mine wears an old HW weatherbeeta (think its the original orican) plus a new weatherbeeta orican freestyle when its like -10.

trust me when i say he can gallop, roll, bronc, rear, spin, leap and act like a total tit! I can easily carry both slung over my shoulder too.

Dizzleton

Visit site
Would you really put two heavyweight rugs on a horse at the same time ?

I can barely lift my H/W fal onto my horse, I couldn't imagine a horse wearing 2.

Yes, I often put 2 HW's on my horse. In winter he's turned out fully clipped for 12 hours a day in a 450g PE, 360g Weatherbeeta and has his snuggyjams on underneath that.

Sparklepony

Visit site
Sorry if it's ridiculous, I agree it's not really easy to say but I just thought it would be interesting to see how other people cope with different horses and rugging situations,

Sorry again :(

Maybe a blonde momebt!

Thanks to all who replied xx

Spot_On

Visit site
DAY 1 - AM: M/W with neck PM: Thick fleece, L/W no neck + H/W with neck
DAY 2 - AM: M/W with neck PM: Thick fleece, L/W no neck + H/W with neck

DAY 1 - AM: Rain sheet PM: thin Fleece
DAY 2 - AM: Naked PM: thin fleece

DAY 1 - AM: Rain sheet PM: L/W no neck
DAY 2 - AM: Naked PM: L/W no neck

DAY 1 - AM: M/W with neck PM: Thick Fleece + H/W with neck
DAY 2 - AM: M/W no neck PM: Thick Fleece, LW no neck + H/W with neck

Kadastorm

Visit site
Sorry i cant reply properly as im on my phone but just wanted to say i dont think its s pointless post OP. This thread just shows the difference of opinions.

i used to be one to just put one rug on (sheet/lw/mw/hw) depending on weather and temp and that was it but my pony has turned wimpy and gets cold now so he is currently in a sheet and mw. He is an unclipped (at the mo) native.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Horse cannot see where it's going but it doesn't matter cos it can't walk = over rugged.

Horse has lit a fire, is hopping from foot to foot and warming its hooves on the flames. Occasionally it says "brrrrrrrrr..." = under rugged.

putasocinit

Visit site
The 25 yo could wear a turnout rug no fill just to keep dry and wind off, unless is a good doer and used to being out in the elements. The rest i would put a 150/200g turnout rug on, neck is optional depending on how soon you want to clip again

Charlie Bucket

Visit site
Not a ridiculous post at all OP, it is interesting to hear opinions of others and get a general idea, although final decisions would obviously depend on the horse it's self.

What is ridiculous is putting two HW's on when it is 6 degrees.

PollyP99

Visit site
Not a ridiculous post at all OP, it is interesting to hear opinions of others and get a general idea, although final decisions would obviously depend on the horse it's self.

What is ridiculous is putting two HW's on when it is 6 degrees.

Totally agree!

I find the two rugs thing so strange, wearing two rugs totalling 1000 g seems nuts, imagine how uncomfortable that must be, could you wear two puffa jackets and not feel totally incapacitated? The weight of them alone let alone the bulk, chance of rubbing must be high too.

Moomin1

Visit site
Totally agree!

I find the two rugs thing so strange, wearing two rugs totalling 1000 g seems nuts, imagine how uncomfortable that must be, could you wear two puffa jackets and not feel totally incapacitated? The weight of them alone let alone the bulk, chance of rubbing must be high too.

I also find it bizarre how any healthy normal horse would actually need 1000g of rugs in a mere 6 degrees. My mare was fully clipped last week, and spent today out naked in temps of 13 degrees or so. Max she would be having in 6 degrees is a MW whilst fully clipped.

I am all for rugging individually, and of course it depends on the horse, and some are colder/hotter than others, but having to have 1000g of rugs in 6 degrees for healthy horses is quite unbelievable. Mind boggling.