What do you do if you've fallen off and hit your head....

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Just wondering, if you're out hacking and you fall off and hit your head? assuming that you're wearing a hat and you've not knocked yourself out, do you get back on and ride home? or would you not risk it with a hat that would now need chucking away?

Just thought as this happened to me last night! hat is now in the bin and I got a new one at lunch time but it was my first fall from my youngster, and I wanted him to know that I would be getting back on! but I would never consider riding in that hat again now!

so just curious as to what others would do?

my horse was calm and he didn't get me off on purpose, so was sure I'd be okay! and easier to ride back with a sore knee than walk!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think I would have done what you did, as the horse was calm.
When I was bucked off my mare on the road and banged my head, we were quite near home, there was nowhere obvious to use as a mounting block, so I walked her home but got back on in the yard, from the MB, with sister standing next to us. Then got off and threw the hat away.

ChwaraeTeg

Visit site
You did the right thing (IMHO) :) Am glad you are OK and that hat probably saved your life.
Keep an eye on your health the next few days as head injury is to be taken very seriously .
See a doctor if there are any signs that there is something amiss .
Yes I would do the same as you = ride home and get a new hat :D
Teg x

http://www.tbiguide.com/indicators.html

The above link is from a free downloadable book that really helped me and my family when I was recovering from a fractured skull etc etc (after a horse fell on me). W
It is worth a little read

Last edited:

Kezzabell2

Visit site
You did the right thing (IMHO) :) Am glad you are OK and that hat probably saved your life.
Keep an eye on your health the next few days as head injury is to be taken very seriously .
See a doctor if there are any signs that there is something amiss .
Yes I would do the same as you = ride home and get a new hat :D
Teg x

thank you! I did use a head injury as an excuse for being 25 mins later for a meeting at work today! really it was just that I didn't get a reminder from my calendar

To be fair, I think my leg took most of the impact but my head did donk on the grass too!

Defo did save my life! but luckily I'd have never ridden without a hat :)

ChwaraeTeg

Visit site
thank you! ........................

Defo did save my life! but luckily I'd have never ridden without a hat :)

You are welcome :) .I tried to add a reputation star to your answer , but it seems I have given too many today !!
.. but I thoroughly respect your saying that you never ride without a hat. (y)

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Last time I fell off and hit my head I lost 8 hours of memory, got chucked in an ambulance (after being cut out of my clothes!), spent 3 days in hospital with concussion and spent the next month getting my brain function back to normal, so I'm probably not the best example to use!

But I would have done exactly the same, and have done exactly the same with less severe falls.

cobalobM

Visit site
I fell off a few weeks ago and smacked my head on the floor, I heard my hat sort of crack! but we were a long way from home so i got back on and brought a new hat the next day.
I also was on holiday last year and went for a hack with a riding school... long story short the staff were neglectful, the horse ended up rearing and landed on top of me, I went to hospital and had concussion and a black eye but dont remember hitting my head! threw that hat away too!

Irish gal

Visit site
Fair play to you for getting back up. Just be aware you could feel funny and go to the hospital if you do. I fell off hunting, banged my head and a few days later was walking down the road and felt like I was drunk, dizzy etc, so I went to hospital. It was just concussion but something to be careful of. Had to go and stay with relatives for a few days just in case, as you can't be alone in case you take a turn. Might seem silly to take such precautions but better safe than sorry.

NZJenny

Visit site
Definitely get back on and ride home, but a couple of mine are not keen on hanging around, so I've had some long walks.

I wouldn't throw my helmet away unless I thought it was damaged though. I realise that it's my head, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to take the every day knocks. I've hit the ground three or four times in the last 12 months, and at around NZ$300 for something that fits me, it would be starting to get a bit expensive.

Barnacle

Visit site
I actually don't think I've ever hit my head falling off. Don't ask me how - I've fallen off plenty! But I'd do the same as you for sure. Until reading this, it actually probably wouldn't have occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't because the hat needs replacing! (Assuming the fall isn't bad enough to take the hat off - cause if I did that, I might notice!)

pansymouse

Visit site
Always chuck your hat after an impact - it won't save you a second time even if it looks perfect. I cut the harness off mine and put them in the bin. I have a slightly more cavalier approach to my injuries - if I loose consciousness or my head still hurts and I feel odd the next day I will go to the doctor otherwise I go to the physio to get her to straighten my neck back out.

0310Star

Visit site
I fell of face first about 3 months ago (my horse wasn't paying attention and tripped over her own feet!) Had a peaked hat on which bent the peak and where it had pushed down towards my face the strap crushed my windpipe, broken nose, concussion, suspected broken cheek bone (but luckily not!). This was on the farm hacking at my yard so I wasn't far from home, but aware I had hit my head quite badly I phoned my yard owner to say I was walking back and if I didn't appear soon then to come and find me as I may have passed out.

I didn't get back on as being 5"2 and my horse being 16.3 and in the middle of a field I had no chance of reaching lol But if I could have got back on and rode back I would have so you definitely did the right thing.
I threw my hat away as soon as I got home and got a new one. One thing I was very thankful for though was that I had my phone on me so I was able to call someone!

pennyturner

Visit site
I would always get back on unless physically impossible (e.g. multiple fractures) or not in the best interest of the horse.
Given how horrid I have been to my kids to get them back on after falls in the past, I couldn't be seen to do otherwise.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Cool thanks all. Glad I didn't do something silly

Defo needed to bin the hat, was hard ground and it was quite a knock, but maybe I'll grab it later and cut the chin strap off in case someone tries to use it

BBP

Visit site
I came off in a fall on the flat XC (to be fair whole horse came down), carried on XC schooling. Not sure how smart that was. But I did decide to replace the hat after that.

3 weeks after buying new hat my horse shied violently mid gallop and I ended up headfirst on a rock. After a bit of a walk/stagger to catch my not so trusty steed I did get back on and ride home. Once home and off I removed my hat and found a fist sized hole smashed in the back of it.

I made my dad drive me home from the hospital via the tack shop so I could buy a new hat as I had a sponsored ride booked for the next day!

budley95

Visit site
I'll be honest and say I fell off jumping/schooling at a local venue, landed on my head and then got back on and hacked the 4 miles home - no way was I walking that! I was also concussed so I probably wasn't thinking straight... I got a new hat the next day though.

Unconcussed me would say walk home and lead your horse. But we all know as a horse rider it doesn't work like that!

Spreebok

Visit site
I did this recently, landing flat on the back of my head before anything else, ended up with mild concussion. I got up, assessed if I could brain properly, then went and found my horse, got back on and went home. Went A&E next day as felt really bad, diagnosed with mild concussion, took it very easy the next few days.
New hat was bought before I next rode.

elsielouise

Visit site
I did this recently, landing flat on the back of my head before anything else, ended up with mild concussion. I got up, assessed if I could brain properly, then went and found my horse, got back on and went home. Went A&E next day as felt really bad, diagnosed with mild concussion, took it very easy the next few days.
New hat was bought before I next rode.

I drove my landrover over mine (accidentally!) but on examining obvious damage found clear evidence it had taken a fair few knocks already. Not even falls just my carelessness with it. The damage will be there even if can't be seen. Tho I too would ride home if I could.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Yep, about 15 yrs ago, fell off while hacking alone, woke up, no horse, no idea where horse was, started walking in one direction, round a corner and there he was munching, got back on board, partly cos I didn't feel well-enough to walk, and let him take me home. Remember having stars-in-my-eyes and thinking "wow, this is what stars-in-your-eyes look like", put him away and went to bed. Hubby said about 3 hrs later "you've fallen off that bloody horse and hit your head haven't you?" Admitted it. Hubby kept an eye on me. Felt fine again about 3 days later. Replaced the hat pronto.
Thing is when you fall off, the survival instinct kicks in so whether you should get back on again, chances are you will try to do so.

wkiwi

Visit site
I have had concussions in the past, and healed fine. However, a few years ago I got attacked by a shelf!!!! and got post-concussion syndrome. Apparently all the little concussions add up.
I got the wrong advice from the first GP I saw. The second i talked to was good but another one later also gave me the wrong advice. I ended up going back to work too soon --passed out -- hospital -- the doctor in the A and E department tried to give me a painkiller that was contraindicated!! I had to tell her that I couldn't have that drug, almost turned into an argument (me still with eyes closed because of the pain) before she eventually went off to ask someone then came back with a box of paracetomol instead!
Several years later I still can't work full time because of it all.

PLEASE DO NOT mess around with head injuries or concussion, even if they seem mild at the time. Any sign of a headache and don't ride/use computer/ watch television/loud music etc. etc. until after the headache has gone. What might seem very important at the time becomes meaningless if you end up with no income at all, lose your house because of it, and pain every day for years!!!
Well done for all those who have replaced hats, and I think cutting off the harness is an excellent idea.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just wondering, if you're out hacking and you fall off and hit your head? assuming that you're wearing a hat and you've not knocked yourself out, do you get back on and ride home? or would you not risk it with a hat that would now need chucking away?

Just thought as this happened to me last night! hat is now in the bin and I got a new one at lunch time but it was my first fall from my youngster, and I wanted him to know that I would be getting back on! but I would never consider riding in that hat again now!

my horse was calm and he didn't get me off on purpose, so was sure I'd be okay! and easier to ride back with a sore knee than walk!!
Well similar - out driving the other month when I got off to help a rider past carriage, but one horse spun round and knocked me to the ground and cracked my head on the road. I will be chucking my hat but I personally would not rider but depends on how you felt immediately and for the next half hr.

william95

Visit site

Years ago, I fell off XC schooling and hit my head on a railway sleeper lined coffin ditch. Head took the full impact but I felt fine and hat looked fine. 18hrs later I had an epileptic fit which has since completely changed my life for the worse. Don't treat bangs to the head lightly- they need to be checked out asap even if you feel fine.

ChwaraeTeg

Visit site
Years ago, I fell off XC schooling and hit my head on a railway sleeper lined coffin ditch. Head took the full impact but I felt fine and hat looked fine. 18hrs later I had an epileptic fit which has since completely changed my life for the worse. Don't treat bangs to the head lightly- they need to be checked out asap even if you feel fine.

Hear Here , well said William95 . I am told that my hat cracked , it saved my life, but like you - I had life changing consequences of a head injury.

dibbin

Visit site
This happened to me in December, I got back on and rode home. Jazz was a bit unsettled but was fine within 30 seconds of me getting back on (as I knew he would be).

I went to the hospital afterwards as I was concerned I might have broken my nose, and got my head and neck checked out. I did buy a new hat the next day!