What do you do just before the bell to start your round/test?

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
What do you do just before the bell or starter tells you to start your round/test?

Dressage: I tend to walk round initially, then have a trot and maybe a canter if I have time but basically let him have a good look round and possibly at any plant pots around the edge of the arena! ;)

SJ: I try to get in as quick as possible and let him have a good look at any fences I feel he may have a look at

XC: I walk round near to the start and when the starter tells me I have 5-10 seconds to go I walk into the box, turn him round and set off :)

What does everyone else do? Do you hear the bell and rush to start or do you leave it a bit and start more when you're ready (obviously within the time allowed after the signal to start) :D

KatB

Visit site
Dressage- I trot purposefully down to the arena before my test, do a few transitions, a bit of leg yield and a few transitions, basically to keep my horse on the aids.

Sjing- I trot in, circle around/near anything scary/potentially spook inducing. Bring back to walk, and then do a walk to canter transition when the bell goes, circle again and go :)

XC- walk to the start box, walk through it quietly, do a couple of sharp transitions outside the box if there is room, then once we're down to 5 on the count down, walk in and quietly ask for trot on the go, and canter as I leave the box. All calmly but positively :)

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
walk in, in to trot, walk past judge, smile at judge and writer, let pony have a look at judges hut/car, then back up to trot, quick shoulder in, change the rein in med trot,and have a canter then another shoulder in if time.

Halfstep

Visit site
Depends on the spookiness of the venue. If it is a familiar place, I trot in up to judges end, walk past so they can see my number, then do some canter (horse is always looser just after he's been cantering), back to walk, halt and reinback, and trot on hoping that the bell will ring!

If spooky place, I walk in, let the horse have a look around as I walk up towards judge, then pick him up and do pretty much the same as above but probably do some shoulder in to make sure he's concentrating on me rather than looking for potential dragons!

kerilli

Visit site
depends on the horse! usually before dr i trot over, do a transition or two, go around outside and past judge's car (in front of it if there's room), do a bit of shoulder in or wiggle in and out of the marker posts if there's room, then a 10m trot circle or two and in. sometimes go back to walk, rein back, then up to trot and in.
sj - either walk in, canter down to end where the start is, commence canter circle on hearing bell, or walk until i hear the bell and then go straight to canter on hearing bell, circle, and go through start.
xc - wander around start box in walk (and trot or canter on a stuffy one, walk only on a wired one!), walk calmly through gap in back of box on the "2" of "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Go!" and away. I don't like standing still in start box, think it can make them boil over.

tinkerbell88

Visit site
DR-I just have a little trot round to let Remy have a look and try and get her to sit on the rein so no lateral work, usually just a bit of medium trot to get her pulling in the rein.
SJ-new tactics which seem to be working *frantically touches wood* walk in on a loose rein nice and relaxed then a little walk to canter transition collecting up the reins, circle once to get power and jump in the canter then off we go! This is to stop her getting wound up before we start and towing me round the course with her ears in my mouth!
XC-similar to sj I just walk around on a loose rein have a feww jog/trot strides every now and then to make sure she is infront of my leg, then at 15 secs make my way towards the box and hopefully time it right that I can get in the box keep walking and collect up my reins as they say go. If I do too much at the start box she just runs backwards and rears away from the box and I can end up 50 yards from the box when the starter says 10 secs!

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
Dressage- let him see the boards, flowers, car- anything he may spook at, all in trot. try and keep him relaxed! then go in :)
Show jumping- trot/canter past any spooky fences, slap down the shoulder as the bell goes and off we go!
XC- circle round near the start box, bounce through into it, bounce, bounce, bounce and then go!

Shrimp

Visit site
Dressage - Have a trit trot round, try and smile at the judge if he/she is looking and let my horse check out out the plant pots to make sure theyre not going to eat him :D and as I turn to go down the centre line, big deep breath and smile.

Showjumping - try and enter the ring calmly as as soon as they bell would go id have no hope :D

XC - stay away from the start box for as long as possible, walk round on a very long rein as I couldnt pick up a contact untill we were out of the start box. Go in on about 3 secs and just go. Id try and stay as calm as possible, the start was always the worst and once we were out on course it would be brilliant :)

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Dressage - Trot/canter round and ensure she settled, soft and working forward into the hand before ensuring a nice smooth turn up the centre line. Normally flash a smile and if appropriate will say good morning/afternoon and my number on way round.

SJ - walk in circle round anything spooky or check a line if haven't been able to walk the course. Normally then walk to canter when bell is rung and away we go but giving myself enough space to establish the canter.

XC - stand calmly and chat to time keeper as he/she gives count down marker normally from 1min as keeps me and in turn horse calm and relaxed. as get to 10 walk into box and then halt calmly at back, on 1 move forward so crossing line on 0 in canter and then moving forawrd from there and saying thankyou as I go.

Supanova

Visit site
I only SJ so ... when waiting to go in I take 10 deep breathes and remember to keep in the present moment (not worry about the past mistakes or the future - easier said than done but I read it in a sports psychology book!) I then enter in walk, go into trot and let her have a good look round. Back to walk, pat to relax her, walk canter transition, activate canter - extend and then bring back to make sure she is listening to me and then head to the first fence, remembering to relax arms and breath!!

jumptoit

Visit site
Dressage - Walk bit of trot, check I'm on the right rein as I like to start on the opposite rein to the way you turn at the end.

SJ - Get a good canter and run through course.

XC - Run through course.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
Dressage: Trot and canter around the outside, try and do lots of transitions to keep her listening. canter down the long side and transition down to trot and head down the centre line.

SJ: Walk in, then have a trot around, have a look at any spooky fences. Run the course through my head once more. Walk to canter and then head to the first and pray we dont have a tantrum as we turn to the first.

shark1

Visit site
whatever i feel like really - a trot or canter round if im something spooky but i dont deliberatley show them the fences as it puts ideas in their heads.
or walk if im on something hot headed. or rein back if they're being a bit too over familiar!
im quite conscious now though of not doing the walk canter too near the bell as the sharp ones pick up on the bell noise and start to anticipate the transition which is annoying - the round has to be on my terms not theirs!

MegaBeast

Visit site
DR: trot round the arena, either trying to hold her together or push her forward depending on her mood that particular day.

SJ: Really push forward into a purposeful canter (although generally pick up canter the mment I enter the arena unless being exceptionally green) and try and make sure we've gone round the whole arena, especially any spooky areas.

XC: walk around behind the box, circling both ways to maintain flexion then head into the box on about 3 to do a walk canter transition on go and out the front of the box

Charlie007

Visit site
Just before the bell goes I have a trot round in the dressage arena especially the corners as these can be very spooky you know!! Just after the bell I take a deep breath, relax my shoulders and off we go!!

MerryMAL

Visit site
SJ - Trot round the arena and get into a good corner to start my canter - I somehow feel safer starting in a corner.
DR - trot round and have a look at the arena and try and suss out where it slopes (if I calm enough to do that, if not trot round and pray like no tomorrow!!)
XC - walk in circles to then get in the box relatively early for a real "cap off a pop bottle" start.

spookypony

Visit site
DR: trot round with a few halt/trot transitions, walk past judge's car, have a canter up one long side just before going in to get him more forwards.
SJ: he's only been twice so far... :eek: ...but trot round to visit potentially spooky areas (on Wednesday there was a white filler with giant eyeballs on leaning against a fence), and trot/canter into first fence, depending on prevailing state of hysteria. :eek: