What do you do with your dog if you work full time?

tigger01

Visit site
Circumstances may change and looking at options for working full time and keeping dog happy. What do you all do with your muts if you work all day? I must stress that I dont view this as an ideal situation - I dont want to have to work f/t but might have no option.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I work 12 shifts so 15hrs long days when traveling included, so my dad looks after my dog while I'm working as no way her could be left for that long (even with a dog walker).

I was shocked :eek: by someone on a 8hrs shift (so 10hrs with her traveling), expecting her Pom to be left for that long! She was wondering why her dog messed in the flat!!!:rolleyes: Have told her to get a dog walker or make some other arrangements for the dog. Poor thing.:mad:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I plan on doing this - max 8-9 hour days, but I will be putting in a dog flap and creating a run outside on my large patio - which I think is acceptable for a dog.

I may also pay a dog walker a day a week (would not be able to afford every day :eek: ) and persuaded my parents to do one day a week, and then maybe pop home to walk on one or two of the others so the dog would only be left for a long stretch 1 or 2 days a week. But dogs are left for up to 10 hours overnight, so I don't see it as a masisve problem, better a home than a kennel in a rescue place forever :)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I've got this to come towards the end of this year. Short term we're planning a dog walker halfway through the day, or a day boarder if we can find someone suitable, fully aware that this will cost a large proportion of my salary. :eek:

Long term we're going to find a property that will allow us to construct a good sized kennel and run system. Dogs are of a type that will be absolutely fine with this scenario.

mollichop

Visit site
I think provided the dogs day is broken up with a walk, wee break and play by someone then it's acceptable. I personally would not want to leave a dog for longer than 6 hours without the above.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I worked shifts, so I'd come home at "lunch" which would be a different time every day. I'd throw a ball in the garden if the weather permitted, or play chase in the lounge for ten mins...amazing what some frenetic activity can achieve :)

Walk before work if a late shift, walk after work if an early shift and apologise to my dogs every day that I wasn't home more.. :eek: That's life.

Oh and I have two dogs, infinitely less worrysome than one :)

MollyMoomin

www.petandanimalfeeds.co.uk
I'm lucky enough(?!) to work in a pet shop/feed suppliers so Herman comes to work with me (OH also works here). He (Herman, not OH) is currently asleep under my desk, necessitating me to sit with my legs bent back under my seat cos there's not enough room under the desk for my legs and the dog ;)

weevil

Visit site
I leave him at home where, judging by the warm, Sprocket shaped dent in the sofa, he spends most of the time sleeping.
I am clearly a terrible owner but he gets a walk before work and then when I get home, he gets a long walk and lots of attention (plus, when the evenings are light enough he will have flyball one evening a week and we are going to start agility as well).
He is left with toys to chew and a kong to keep him occupied and my neighbours always comment that they never hear him.
It's not ideal but sadly I have to work, and he is used to his routine and it suits him.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
I walk mine before work then our dogwalker comes in at lunchtime and walks him again. We also take him for a short walk when we get home in the evening. I also work from home one day a week.

He copes fine - as another poster stated, the collie shaped indent in the sofa normally gives you a good indication of what his day consists of!! I also leave mine with a frozen Kong stuffed with kibble and peanut butter which keeps him busy for a while.

MissMoo

Visit site
I'm lucky enough to bring my dog to work with me everyday, he's the most popular member of staff with the majority of the clients and the postmen adore him (And always throw his toy for a few minutes)! :D

He also comes to the yard for a good run around before and after work so sleeps pretty much all day in the office - usually on his bed at the back with me but he has been known to slink down to the front in the afternoon and lay sparko in the sun :D

He hates being left at home and on occasions such as when I have been taking my Nan to hospital, I have been known to drop him into work for a couple of hours. (Although we have now discovered my Grand dad rather likes to have him and it solves the issue of my Grand dad coming to the hospital with us which Nan doesn't like him doing!)

ladyt25

Visit site
I take mine to my parent's house each morning whilst i am at work so she has company of them and their two dogs. However, to be perfectly honest, now she's settled in my house I think she would actually 'survive' being left whilst I was at work - we used to do this years ago when we were at school and my parents both worked. However, I don't necessarily think it's fair on the dog to be left BUT as mentioned, is it any worse than being stuck in a rescue centre kennel?

I think my dog would much prefer to be left alone all day in the security of a house she knows than be in a rescue kennel and be walked by various people everyso often.

BuzzLightyear

Visit site
mine goes to daycare,

picked up at 9am and returned at 4pm for the same price as i was paying someone to walk him for an hour a day (price includes him being picked up and dropped off on the 'doggie bus :D ')

they have a FB page and upload piccies daily so i can have a sneaky peak at what he's up to on my phone at lunch time :D

kal40

Visit site
Our lab goes to the inlaws. FIL is housebound following an accident so she is great company for him. She gets dropped off at 8am, has a quick bite of breakfast then toddles off to bed with FIL for an extra hour. OH picks her up at 5pm after work.

Works really well for us all. She gets all excited every morning when we tell her she is going to see grandad :)

orionstar

Visit site
Mine have the run of the kitchen, utility and garden all day. They also have a trained treat feeder next door who normally comes out when they get bored and throws yummy things over the fence for them, and in between they get their legs run off. They would rather have acess to the stove in the sitting room, but i like my funiture too much.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I leave him at home where, judging by the warm, Sprocket shaped dent in the sofa, he spends most of the time sleeping.
I am clearly a terrible owner but he gets a walk before work and then when I get home, he gets a long walk and lots of attention (plus, when the evenings are light enough he will have flyball one evening a week and we are going to start agility as well).
He is left with toys to chew and a kong to keep him occupied and my neighbours always comment that they never hear him.
It's not ideal but sadly I have to work, and he is used to his routine and it suits him.

This. Both of mine are quite happy to spend the morning snoozing until OH comes home at 2.30 and lets them out for a run/play with the ball (although at the moment I'm not working so they get much more time with me at home, during which they still make Fred/Daisy-shaped dents in the sofa anyway). When I was working full time and commuting into London we used to crate (in one huuuuuge crate), them but now that Dinks is nearly 3 (in May) and we don't have random chewing they can be trusted. They snooze, play with each other, watch the world going by the living room window, bark at the postman and generally live the life of riley.

P

vieshot

Visit site
I do it occasionally when mum and I happen to work same shifts. Walkies before work to take the edge of them, dog flap open so they can come and go as they please and a walk when we get in. I see no problems If they still get their exercise. Ours sleep alot after a walk anyway.

Molasses

Visit site
I am clearly a terrible owner but he gets a walk before work and then when I get home, he gets a long walk and lots of attention It's not ideal but sadly I have to work, and he is used to his routine and it suits him.

This also, yes not ideal, my girl is in her run during the day. Honestly on an odd day/half day when if i get home unusually early she's fast asleep and surprised to see me. I know that means shes alone for a large part of the day, but walks in morning and evening and love and attention when i get home means i envy her her life:D

Fairytale

Visit site
I am lucky enough to bring my dog to work with me :) She has a good run in the fields whilst I do the horses before work, we go for a hike at lunchtime, then back to the yard after work then home.

Currently she is snoring on her bed behind my chair :)

I sometimes leave her at the yard for half a day if something big is going down here which isnt very often, but pick her up again at lunchtime.

F

whisp&willow

Visit site
walked in the morning, then kennel and run out in the garden until we are home. (usually about 8.30 until 5 or 5.30) then walked again and in the house with us overnight.

if the weather is awful or if its really midgey in the summer then she stays in the house. the dog would sleep all day if i let her! :p

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
dog comes to work with me and stays in car. car is fitted out to be mobile run and as we have full security, windows are left open and vent lock used, plus screen for windscreen and park under the trees with the other dog owners. so he gets run in the am, one at lunchtime,one in evening and two short play times at coffee break with his pals. if it's very cold/hot he stays at home and sucks it up.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I don't work normal days/hours - I work for an airline and am away for a few days then back for a few days. Often that means that I'm around in the week and my hubby is there at weekends.. When neither of us are there, my dad lives next door and he lets them out for a run in the field a few times during the day.

We have two dogs, and they are great company for each other. Today I've been full of a cold and laying on the sofa for a lot of the day. The dogs slept a lot in their baskets and played with each other (tug of war - their fave!). They were perfectly happy without my company...

Megan_T

Visit site
I've asked you guys this question before because I refuse to believe that only people who work part-time or are retired can have a dog.

I'm still not convinced that myself and my other half could manage it. We both leave the house at about 7.10am and are back at around 6.10am, so I think even with a dog walker visiting for an hour every day it's not quite fair...... :(

Opinions? I don't trust anyone else for an honest answer!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
We both leave the house at about 7.10am and are back at around 6.10am, so I think even with a dog walker visiting for an hour every day it's not quite fair...... :(

Yes 23hrs per day is far too long to leave a dog :p

Even 11hrs (which is what I assume you meant) is too long IMO. That said if you had a dog that was happy to be kennel or had access to a run setup, then I don't see the problem, so long as it gets decent walks.

I work 12hrs shifts, so 15hrs days inc traveling, hence why I palm Oz off on my dad who whilst he works gets home for lunch, to let Oz out, then I drag Oz out for a walk when I get home (literally in winter - I swear that dog would hibernate from Nov to March if he could).:D

Molasses

Visit site
Course you can do it, lifes too short to wait till everything is perfect to have a dog. Its a dog not a nucleur power plant, he/she will become part of your routine and in turn find their own happiness. I work long hours some days but my girl has her run, her play, her meals and weekends of long long walking adventures. What more could you ask:D