What do you do with your horses on hard ground?

wattamus

Visit site
Now that we've got some very lovely sunny weather the ground has hardened up and I'm not really doing much when out hacking as I'm worried about my horses legs.

I very rarely trot on the roads and on hard ground as it is now I spend most of my time in walk. Yet my fellow liveries go out cantering about just as they'd do any other time. Also there was a WH show at our yard at the weekend which I was considering doing with my horse but the ground was solid and I was unsure as to whether to bother in any case she had her tooth out a couple of days before so the choice was taken out of my hands. My girl that I ride regularly is 18 and although she's had a pretty easy life before I got her (spent a good proportion as a field ornament) I'm still uber paranoid about her legs.
But you see racehorses galloping on hard ground and stunt horses (in films) cantering on pavements and over cobbles etc (not that I would ever ;) ) and it got me thinking, am I being too soft?
So is it just me that takes it steady or do I need to man up?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just take it easy on hard ground both mine show so dont want splints or lameness, I only canter on the very grassy tracks, if I cant do much out I just do 20 minutes canter work in the school after the hack.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Same as on any other ground and never had a problem. The caveat is that my horse is a Shire cross with solid legs and feet, and I make sure the horse is fit and "legged-up" from slow road work as well as work on a variety of surfaces and in a variety of gaits. I wouldn't recommend taking an unfit horse, an unsound one, or one who hasn't seen the outside of an arena, and pound it down a hard surface.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Mine doesn't do anything on hard ground other than walk . . . but he is 15, with very upright conformation, boxy feet and navicular/sidebone/mild arthritic changes so concussion is not his friend.

P

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
not much at all, fortunately i have an arena to school in and rarely trot/canter out hacking anyway as horse is a nob...............but i certainly wouldnt be doing any fast work, jumping, or schooling on hard ground anyway.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hmmmm... There may be regional differences, expectations, and practices here. I guess I have kind of a "wild west" mentality -- as that's where I'm from. In my home state, no one would ever trot or canter outside of an arena if they waited for the ground to soften. Conversely, muddy tracks worry me far more than hard ones, and I'll stick to walk on those.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I do think that confo and type of movement has to be factored in. My old show horse, despite being 17.2 and big middleweight floats along, on board you feel nothing and on the ground you can hardly hear him go past. He is so balanced and has luxury suspension ! on the other hand the maxi cob has agricultural suspension resembling a JCB and you can hear her coming in the neighbouring village. This morning she took exception to a crisp packet and skittered down the lane. My neck is cricked and my teeth still clattering, blooming square wheeled creature.

Meems

Visit site
I do think that confo and type of movement has to be factored in. My old show horse, despite being 17.2 and big middleweight floats along, on board you feel nothing and on the ground you can hardly hear him go past. He is so balanced and has luxury suspension ! on the other hand the maxi cob has agricultural suspension resembling a JCB and you can hear her coming in the neighbouring village. This morning she took exception to a crisp packet and skittered down the lane. My neck is cricked and my teeth still clattering, blooming square wheeled creature.

Haha very good!!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Stick to walk on hacks as my old boy has arthritis in all legs and hates the hard ground. He is stabled more at the moment as miserable out in field when ground rock hard. He goes out to play in the all weather turnout paddock instead.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
My Other horse is an ex racer with no problems but think would still be careful on hard ground and minimise lots of canter work

Follysmum

Visit site
I am more careful but still hack out and trot on roads. Have been going to quite a few rides but enter lower mileage when very hard. I much prefer spring and autumn at competing and long rides, I hate riding in the really hot weather, the flies pee me off too.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Hard and flat, like Tarmac, fine - I trot, and canter on that. Hard and rutted, definitely not. f doesn't much like hard ground,so he does less on it. The other two don't mind it, so they do a bit more.

They are unshod and native types though which makes a big difference.