What do you expect from your haylage supplier

smiggy

Visit site
Just opened a big bale (£35), it didnt look as nice as usual, didnt smell nice, dusty, dry and clumped together and my normally pig like horses are dissolutely picking at it and scattering it over the floor. They come in during the day for hay/haylage and normally eat a massive net in 3 or 4 hours with not a scrap left.
Just phoned supplier and was basically told what a bad year it had been for haylage and that I needed to unwrap bale completely or it would be warm (having explained that I opened it yesterday as I always did and it was warm inside), and they couldnt be held responsible for bad bales!!
After a bit of pushing from me, they have grudgingly agreed to send someone to look at it!
Was honestly expecting a no quibble new bale, am good customer and they even rent one of our fields to make the flipping stuff.
I know weather was bad last year, thats why Im buying in haylage as our own hay supply was limited.
am i being unreasonable?

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Ours will take them back. But in 2 years and near 70 big bales we've had one.

FWIW, we always take all the plastic off at first opening. The other people in the barn do not. After 5 days theirs smells horrible. Same haylage.

Terri

russianhorse

Visit site
Anyone I have ever bought hay of haylage from has always said if they are in anyway bad, just bring them back (only ever had to do it once)

So no, I don't think you are being unreasonable :)

But like EI, I always take off plastic covering on first opening :)

smiggy

Visit site
To alleviate mess in barn I usually cut all along front and open up and cut along top to ventilate but keep a bit of bottom sides on to keep in one place. This has always worked well, but this one was dodgy from first opening.
will open all up as mild now.

Horses been in since 8.30 now and most of haylage still there and they are shouting at me when I see them! about to crack and give them hay instead.

I do sympathise just as a consumer not happy to pay for rubbish. Had similar dodgy bale last spring but as it was late in season just assumed it was old dodgy bale and chucked it without making a fuss.

charlimouse

Visit site
My haylage man will happily swop any bad bales FOC (not that I have ever had any!) as he will use them for his cattle, if not good enough for the horses.

Marydoll

Visit site
I got 3 from my usual supplier, i always buy 3 for the month, none of which were good, we split the cost and im getting hay now from a different supplier as his was to dusty. Im hoping itll be back to a good standard this year, but wont hold my breath

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Our haylage man supplies excellent stuff, so far (in two and a bit years) had no need to return a bale. He runs a livery yard and keeps events so understands the need for good stuff. He takes pride in what he produces and the quality is too good if anything :)

foraday

Visit site
Ours replace the bale with the next delivery and take old bale back for the cattle.

No quibble!

Used same company for 12 years now