What do you feed your barefoot?

maccachic

Visit site
Mine gets a scoop of alfalfa, fortevite extra, salt and yeast. Hay when there isn't enough grass and oats if she needs more condition. She is just starting hunting.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
I have read somewhere that some of it is to do with the preservative that is present in the alfalfa chaff but isn't normaly present in the pellets/nuts - I am not sure if there is any truth in this or whether it was a one off article. My tb has been on the alfa nuts since he came home and his foot sensitivity seems to be partially new grass and some thrush that was hiding in the central sulcus

Gemmabel

Visit site
Mine and my sisters ex racers are both barefoot and both on a completely commercial diet.

Mine is best on a fibre/oil diet; he is a very poor doer and is also sharp/hot to ride. He is fed Winergy Condition, Mollichaff Calmer, soaked rolled oats and micronised linseed. He is supplemented with mag ox, powdered fenugreek, DMG and Suppleaze Gold. He is currently training Advanced and competing Medium.

My sisters boy, although suffering ulcers gets on well with a high starch/protein cereal based diet. He is also a poor doer, but lazy by nature (they couldn't be more opposite if they tried!). He is on Winergy High Energy, Havens Slobbermash, soaked rolled oats, Alfa-a and micronised linseed. He is supplemented with Egusin SLH, Alcar and Suppleaze Gold. He is training GP and competing PSG.

Both are fed ad lib haylage and are out all day every day on ex dairy pasture.

We are true believers that the harder the feet work, the more you can 'get away with' in terms of sugar and starch etc (severe metabolic issues aside and of course I am sure there are exceptions, this is just our experience).

can I just ask how long you soak you oats for and if you feed them straight after soaking or leave them to drain for sometime?

thanks

nikkimariet

Visit site
can I just ask how long you soak you oats for and if you feed them straight after soaking or leave them to drain for sometime?

thanks

They're soaked overnight but that's only because of how I do the feed run :) I don't drain the water off them nope.

I fill the buckets level with the oats otherwise you're fishing around for the last few scoops, and the excess is good for mixing everything incl supplements together!

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
My WB is fed a combination of copra, um beet, Alfa pellets a and I add oats if he needs more. He is currently on pro bal although I am changing to equivita until the grass is through enough for me to do a bespoke mineral plan. I also add in extra mag ox, brewers yeast, salt and bicarb as well as linseed.

He is in full work, competing (dressage, SJ and will be eventing) and is a good weight.

That sounds well balanced. When you do a bespoke mineral plan do you match it to the pasture or do you look at levels in blood, or both? (Or neither?)

amandap

Visit site
Creating a balancer product for every soil type in the UK would set a challenge indeed! Not that we're scared of challenges :)
In my (limited) understanding, minerals need to be balanced to what the horse is eating so forages ie. grass and hay/haylage not soil profile.
I have varied hay supplies so have to feed a balancer based on averages.

Leg_end

Visit site
That sounds well balanced. When you do a bespoke mineral plan do you match it to the pasture or do you look at levels in blood, or both? (Or neither?)

My mineral plan will be based on my forage (grazing and haylage). I have had his bloods analysed a couple of times as I wanted to check his liver function so got those done at the same time and there was no obvious deficiency then but the usual way is based purely on grazing and forage. That way I can ensure that if there are any oddities in the profile then I can balance them out.

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
In my (limited) understanding, minerals need to be balanced to what the horse is eating so forages ie. grass and hay/haylage not soil profile.
I have varied hay supplies so have to feed a balancer based on averages.

Yes you're correct. As a feed company we only test forage for that reason, ultimately however the deficiencies are found in the soil.

Given the substantial variation in most peoples hay/forage supplies feeding for averages is a good approach with the occasional blood test if any deficiencies are suspected :)

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Given the substantial variation in most peoples hay/forage supplies feeding for averages is a good approach with the occasional blood test if any deficiencies are suspected :)

But which averages?

Many balancers contain average quantities of ALL minerals. Companies doing the forage analyses are finding that some minerals are consistently too high such as iron, manganese and calcium.

So I I was looking for an off the peg balancer I would be looking for one that did not contain these but had good levels of Copper Zinc and Magnesium.

I balance to a forage analysis and make up my own mineral mix. I feed Copra, bran, linseed and oats when needed.
Calcium levels are sky high so I cannot feed anything with sugarbeet or alfalfa.

I look for no added sugar or molasses as my tb is very sensitive to even tiny amounts (but remains calm on oats.)

I look for feed that is unprocessed as possible, so I have fed Alfalfa in the past with no problems but use the pellets not the chaff which has mould inhibitors and preservatives.

I would like the option to be able to buy organic versions of the straights I feed easily.

amandap

Visit site
But which averages?

Many balancers contain average quantities of ALL minerals. Companies doing the forage analyses are finding that some minerals are consistently too high such as iron, manganese and calcium.

So I I was looking for an off the peg balancer I would be looking for one that did not contain these but had good levels of Copper Zinc and Magnesium.
Good question! Sometimes leaving some minerals out is very important!

The off the peg one I use is as you describe and with added amino acids.

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
My barefoot TB is fed cool stance copra, micronised linseed, oats, plain straw chaff, plus magnesium, pro hoof, and salt. He was very underweight and had no topline due to kissing spines. Over the winter he has put on weight and topline and is now a decent weight. He has been barefoot for a year following a diagnosis of navicular syndrome and his back was operated on in june 2013 where he had 4 processes removed.

Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like a well balanced diet.

For navicular, vets in Germany have had very good results using our bioavailable vit K1 product BoneKare - http://keyflowfeeds.com/product/bonekare/

Here's some before and after xrays - let us know if you would like more info on it.

pferd-1-vo-re_.jpg

samlf

Visit site
In winter they are fed a small amount of speedibeet (approx. 1/2 scoop), with around 1/2 scoop unmolassed chaff.
In summer they get a handful unmolassed chaff, then either soaked grass nuts or soaked high fibre cubes again in a small quantity. Just enough to get supplements into them.

Supplement wise they get zinc bioplex, copper bioplex, methionine, lysine, salt, selenium + vit E, yea sacc, calcium carbonate and magnesium chloride.

Easy to get into them over winter but much harder over summer. Their work ranges from nothing/very little over winter to two hours per day inc around 30 mins trotting over summer.

Leg_end

Visit site
We are true believers that the harder the feet work, the more you can 'get away with' in terms of sugar and starch etc (severe metabolic issues aside and of course I am sure there are exceptions, this is just our experience).

I 100% agree with this and I've found it true in my experience. The right exercise and hard work can definitely assist if the diet isn't quite spot on.

Busybusybusy

www.racehorsetoridinghorse.blogspot.co.uk

For navicular, vets in Germany have had very good results using our bioavailable vit K1 product BoneKare - http://keyflowfeeds.com/product/bonekare/

Here's some before and after xrays - let us know if you would like more info on it.

pferd-1-vo-re_.jpg

My boy has not got any changes to the navicular bones, his was soft tissue damage around the navicular bursa. Was given a very poor prognosis by the vets & recommended to have him de nerved - ignored that advice & took his she's off - he's currently sound and has done an endurance training ride with no problems :)

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com

pferd-1-vo-re_.jpg

Further info on these radiographs as follows:

The two radiographs are of the same horse, taken on the dates listed below each image. They are of a younger German horse that shows on the first (LH) radiograph the location of the nutrient foramina is not only centrally situated but can also be found further to the outside of the distal border. On the second (RH) radiograph after treatment with BoneKare™ the number of them has clearly reduced, the few that are there are located centrally and the overall appearance of the border or contour of the bone is round and not irregular.
If graded under the German system this navicular pre BoneKare™ would’ve been graded 2-3, post treatment it would be graded 1-2.

Leg_end

Visit site
Further info on these radiographs as follows:

The two radiographs are of the same horse, taken on the dates listed below each image. They are of a younger German horse that shows on the first (LH) radiograph the location of the nutrient foramina is not only centrally situated but can also be found further to the outside of the distal border. On the second (RH) radiograph after treatment with BoneKare™ the number of them has clearly reduced, the few that are there are located centrally and the overall appearance of the border or contour of the bone is round and not irregular.
If graded under the German system this navicular pre BoneKare™ would’ve been graded 2-3, post treatment it would be graded 1-2.

Was this horse shod or barefoot? What are the ingredients in BoneKare?

My horse was diagnosed with navicular and pedal oestitis in Sept 2012 and after a barefoot rehab he was xrayed again in Aug 13. He went barefoot in Nov 12 and was sound again in Jan 13. Pictures are on the link below but there was a marked improvement on both films.

http://buddysbarefootadventure.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/no-news-is-good-news-huge-update.html

claribella

Visit site
I have an arab x who is fed on thunderbrooks base mix. After going through so many feeds and then looking into what is actually in these bagged feeds, I am pleased to have found something that is totally organic and wholesome but also keeps weight on her which is something we have previously struggled with. I also like that it lives up to the claims that it makes. Ive found this to be the most ecomnomical to feed as you only feed tiny amounts as its so highly concentrated. I also feed turmeric for overall health and joints.

She obviously gets grass and adlib hay as well:)

mftowner906

Visit site
I feed my barefoot MFTs a ration balancer ProAdvantage Grass Formula (30% protein). The reason I like ration balancers from other grains is a couple of reasons 1) I don't feed as much as I would if I was feeding a grain I feed 1/2 lbs in the AM and PM 2) its just vitamins and minerals 3) no unnecessary fillers. I just started working them again yesterday so if I notice they are starting to loose a little too much weight I will add some more calories by adding alfalfa pellets, or rice bran to their ration. Or I may just have to get some bales of hay to supplement the lack of grass or their work outs They are also on pasture 24/7 (not as good as a pasture as I would like but I can't control that considering I board my horses) but they do get hay in the winter time 24/7.

At this time I do not have them on any extra supplements.

Ruth17

Visit site
I'm in the market for a new feed as my cob had gone footy this week. He was on d&h leisure mix and alfalfa with ad lib hay and grass although rather sparse. Was thinking of trying happy hoof or something similar but open to suggestions. He is only fed when ridden

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
Was this horse shod or barefoot? What are the ingredients in BoneKare?

My horse was diagnosed with navicular and pedal oestitis in Sept 2012 and after a barefoot rehab he was xrayed again in Aug 13. He went barefoot in Nov 12 and was sound again in Jan 13. Pictures are on the link below but there was a marked improvement on both films.

http://buddysbarefootadventure.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/no-news-is-good-news-huge-update.html

Hi Leg_end,

It was great to read some of your story with Buddy. The x-rays certainly show an improvement so you definitely seem to be on the right track with him. Good luck for when you start competing.

The horse in our radiographs was shod. BoneKare's active ingredient is Quinaquanone a patented, water soluble, bio-available form of vitamin K1.

In the horses natural diet vitamin K1 is found in fresh green growing pasture but it degrades extremely quickly once the grass has been cut, i.e haylage, hay and chaffs contain almost none.

When supplemented in the diet the effects of feeding BoneKare are wide reaching, in essence it improves the bone mineral density by helping the bone proteins bind together. This is beneficial for a host of osteo related issues including the reduction of size/severity of splints, support for fracture repair, reduction in the severity of OCD lesions, DOD's, navicular, sesamoiditis and bone cysts. It is also fed as a prophylactic for optimal skeletal development and support.

Our original research was carried out on yearlings with OCD lesions and 2YO racehorses with sore shins. It is now being extended to other species including dogs, poultry and pigs.

If you're interested here is a case study of a foal with a severe bone cyst.
http://www.slideshare.net/Keyflow/bk-case-study

And this is the link to the brochure
http://www.slideshare.net/Keyflow/bonekare-e-brochurev2

:)

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
I have a WB and two TBs, all barefoot.
I look for molasses free, alfalfa free and soya free feed!
I also avoid supplementing iron, as we are in an iron rich area.

I won't buy something that doesn't have a full analysis available, and I like to have it recommended to me - trust is important:)

I feed copra and unmolassed sugar beet, with rolled oats when working enough to need it. It all gets soaked for 12 hours.

I add micronised linseed, a joint supplement, and progressive earths pro hoof.

They are out all day, in at night with ad lib hay. In the summer they will be out 24/7, and fed the same, but less!

Thanks for this Cragrat, sounds like a good diet.

We agree that full analysis should be made available for customers. We have a red box down the right hand side of each product page on our website http://keyflowfeeds.com that gives a full list of ingredients as well as a complete breakdown of vitamins and minerals found in 1kg of feed. There is also a feeding guide. People can then make informed decisions :)

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
Last winter as a rising four year old, working five days a week hacking and schooling, with a month off to be a baby then back in work. 2 scoops Alfa oil, 2-3 cups of linseed soya oil, tip top equimins supplement and 2 scoops speedie beet split into am and pm feeds throughout this time.

Turnout day all day, in at night and ad lib hay

Throughout this winter so rising five, he had a winter break of about four months during which time he had a level scoop of baileys ultra grass (coated in Soya oil) and 2/3 scoop of speedie beet twice a day with equimins tip top supplement. Turnout during the day and in at night, adlib hay. He has now come back into work, and will be doing on average six days a week consisting of a mix of hacking, schooling and jumping. However, he's not fussed about his feed now he's working, he is carrying more weight than last year and tbh probably needs to lose some. So he's now just on grazing and ad lib hay with a small handful of ultra grass with his supplement and doing really well. Currently I think there's a lot more goodness in the grass than we realise.

Thanks for this, a good high oil diet. You may find this online article interesting: http://keyflowfeeds.com/feeding-the-correct-omega-oils/

Yes there is certainly some goodness in the new grass - if the fresh horses out and about at the moment are anything to go by! :)

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
Mine and my sisters ex racers are both barefoot and both on a completely commercial diet.

Mine is best on a fibre/oil diet; he is a very poor doer and is also sharp/hot to ride. He is fed Winergy Condition, Mollichaff Calmer, soaked rolled oats and micronised linseed. He is supplemented with mag ox, powdered fenugreek, DMG and Suppleaze Gold. He is currently training Advanced and competing Medium.

My sisters boy, although suffering ulcers gets on well with a high starch/protein cereal based diet. He is also a poor doer, but lazy by nature (they couldn't be more opposite if they tried!). He is on Winergy High Energy, Havens Slobbermash, soaked rolled oats, Alfa-a and micronised linseed. He is supplemented with Egusin SLH, Alcar and Suppleaze Gold. He is training GP and competing PSG.

Both are fed ad lib haylage and are out all day every day on ex dairy pasture.

Thanks for this all looks very interesting and particularly your comment on how much starch and sugar they can handle in relation to how much work their feet do. :)

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
Both horses are on Simple Systems horse feeds with some adaptions and additions.
No molasses, soya and all low sugar/starch with no cereals (was treating the TB as if he had an ulcer when he arrived and have kept that way ever since).
My 6 yr old ex-racer is on total eclipse (but going to be making my own mix as it only contains micro linseed, seaweed and brew yeast), red grass nuts, added micro linseed (500g) for increase in body weight he has lost recently, 60ml red cell, 50ml Cider Vinegar, small handful of SS grass.
He has thin soles, been barefoot with boots for 3 years, but in/out of work a lot due to injuries and accidents so not had a proper time of work to transition to total barefoot, although i hold out hope for this we are more than happy to remain partly booted dependent on terrain such as stoney forest tracks etc. Not a good doer and struggles to hold weight on, esp in winter (adlib hay and large access of grazing).
He is very lazy and laid back and have yet to find anything to give him a little boost!
Tried whole soaked oats for energy and weight gain - no difference at all.

My arab is on total eclipse, lucie nuts (lucerne), and 300g SS grass.
Just turned 5 yr old, feet like rocks. Only started getting a little footy at the end of a 20km ride at the weekend when passing over a very stoney gravel track.
Forward going, on his toes but calm natured.

Hi jm2k,

Thanks for this, feeding as if your horse has ulcers is a great way to feed. In fact if people fed all horses like that we would be less likely to see as many ulcer cases in general. Little and often, lots of fibre to keep them chewing. Horses can only produce saliva when they chew (unlike humans) and their saliva is alkaline. Crucially their saliva buffers the acid in their stomachs on an ongoing basis so a horse that isn't chewing for extended periods of time is going to have a high stomach acid PH. This is often why ulcers form.

If you'd like to try something for your ex-racer that provides low GI, slow release, gluten free calories have a look at Key-Plus - stabilised rice bran concentrate. We'll send you a free sample if you like: http://keyflowfeeds.com/product/keyflow-key-plus/

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
Mine is a TB and has 1 scoop speedibeet, 2 mugs micronised linseed and up to 1.5 scoops of whole soaked oats if in work and dependent on what level of work. She also gets benevit advance (though not sure I am impressed with this!) plus mag ox and salt. Also ad lib haylage.

I look for low starch/sugar, free from alfalfa/molasses/soya/fillers/GM products etc. As close to the natural diet as possible with added vits/minerals.

Great thanks for letting us know :)

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
I'm in the market for a new feed as my cob had gone footy this week. He was on d&h leisure mix and alfalfa with ad lib hay and grass although rather sparse. Was thinking of trying happy hoof or something similar but open to suggestions. He is only fed when ridden

Hi Ruth17,

From our range a simple and effective diet is to feed Mark Todd Perfect Balance at a rate of 100g per 100kgs of b/w per day, along with a simple, non-molassed chaff. You can feed extra omega 3 in the form of Key-3 Oil at a maintenance rate of 30mls per day (1 pump).

This diet would provide all his daily requirements and if you felt you needed more energy you can simply either increase the Key-3 Oil up to 60 or 90mls per day or you can add Key-Plus stabilised rice bran at a rate of 500g per day.

The key to Perfect Balance is that it is cooked (or wet steam extruded), which makes it over 90% digestible in the small intestine, removing many of the 'feed related' issues that people experience with their horses. Becoming footy may be one of these issues.

We would recommend that if possible you try to feed him daily so his diet stays consistent.

More info and free samples here:
http://keyflowfeeds.com/product/mark-todd-perfect-balance/
http://keyflowfeeds.com/product/keyflow-key-plus/

lara+pongo<3

New User
Visit site
my pony is barefoot and he is out in the field all day with hay and comes in everyday and is fed half a scoop of chaff and half a scoop on mix