What do you feed your barefoot?

Jess2013

Visit site
I have a welsh cross barefoot at the moment and we have him on hay, grass, pony cubes and alfa a oil.

Hes having biotin over summer added

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Used to feed speedie beet as main ingredient. My horses just weren't as good as I thought they could be. Took off and added alfalfa nuts which most say is a no no. But all but 2 did better on this than the speedi. The two that both had issues with the alfalfa and speedie I put on soaked oats only. Keep in mind neither of those needed huge amounts. But improvement in a couple of days. Two horses get a combo of alf nuts and oats as they need extra. To the rations I add flax ground just before feeding. Then a hoof supp. Su-Per Hoof. I add copper, mag and vit e and sel during the winter. They all have accesss to a himalyan salt lick. A couple get MSM. The hoof supp contains Brewer's Yeast so only during the winter was adding probiotics.

I would love to see a lick made for summer and winter months which contains no sugar/starch or very little with all the key components for healthy hooves but no extras. Winter needs vs summer needs. And also one for pregnant stock and youngstock. Including oils and stuff for a healthy gut. Probably not possible.

But alternatively something available in Ireland in a one bucket supplement. I don't mind grinding my flax. But I have to buy a few different things and it's annoying. And something with the doses required and no extra stuff that is in every multi supp. And not made with SOYA!

Terri

Fat_Pony

Visit site
Mine get grass nuts, micronised linseed and equimins metabalance. I have ordered a sample of the perfect balance, shame I can't order two as would quite like the try the key plus too.

NellRosk

Visit site
2 barefoot IDs: haylage, dengie hi fi molasses free, speedi beet, rolled oats, brewers yeast, linseed and pro balance vit and min powder by progressive earth.

They are both in very good condition (one erring towards overweight) and in light - medium work. I feed mainly to help their feet and the oats give a little boost when needed!

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
Used to feed speedie beet as main ingredient. My horses just weren't as good as I thought they could be. Took off and added alfalfa nuts which most say is a no no. But all but 2 did better on this than the speedi. The two that both had issues with the alfalfa and speedie I put on soaked oats only. Keep in mind neither of those needed huge amounts. But improvement in a couple of days. Two horses get a combo of alf nuts and oats as they need extra. To the rations I add flax ground just before feeding. Then a hoof supp. Su-Per Hoof. I add copper, mag and vit e and sel during the winter. They all have accesss to a himalyan salt lick. A couple get MSM. The hoof supp contains Brewer's Yeast so only during the winter was adding probiotics.

I would love to see a lick made for summer and winter months which contains no sugar/starch or very little with all the key components for healthy hooves but no extras. Winter needs vs summer needs. And also one for pregnant stock and youngstock. Including oils and stuff for a healthy gut. Probably not possible.

But alternatively something available in Ireland in a one bucket supplement. I don't mind grinding my flax. But I have to buy a few different things and it's annoying. And something with the doses required and no extra stuff that is in every multi supp. And not made with SOYA!

Terri

Hi Terri,

Interesting reading. A lick with everything needed for healthy hooves is an interesting prospect. As is the principle with licks I guess you're inferring that the horse will self regulate it's requirements.

It sounds like you have a firm grasp on the nutritional requirements and are simply looking for an easier solution.

Thanks for your comments.

KF

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
Mine get grass nuts, micronised linseed and equimins metabalance. I have ordered a sample of the perfect balance, shame I can't order two as would quite like the try the key plus too.

Hi there,

If you are looking to use Perfect Balance with this diet you would simplify it to grass nuts + Perfect Balance fed at a rate of 100gms per 100kgs of bodyweight. Perfect Balance is 12% Oil and contains micronised linseed as well as a full array of vits and chelated mins so no further supplementation should be required.

Just drop us a quick email with your name to advice@keyflowfeeds.com and we will pop a Key-Plus sample in the post to you today.

:)

KF

KeyflowUK

www.keyflowfeeds.com
2 barefoot IDs: haylage, dengie hi fi molasses free, speedi beet, rolled oats, brewers yeast, linseed and pro balance vit and min powder by progressive earth.

They are both in very good condition (one erring towards overweight) and in light - medium work. I feed mainly to help their feet and the oats give a little boost when needed!

Sounds great, i'm sure you've considered reducing or removing the oats for the one that is close to overweight? Probably more a case of increasing work than reducing carb intake but it may help. :)

KF

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My BF 12 hh pony is on 1/4 nuts and 1/2 fibery+ carrots 2 sections hay at night grass in day

soya oil F4F- equivite- FJ

Last edited:

NellRosk

Visit site
Sounds great, i'm sure you've considered reducing or removing the oats for the one that is close to overweight? Probably more a case of increasing work than reducing carb intake but it may help. :)

KF

Yeah I must admit to giving the fatty a handful of oats to make his pro balance more appetising but as of next week I'm getting a sharer so the increase in work will shift his weight!

callisto

Visit site
I have an 11hh sheltie x with the hardest feet I've ever seen (he is chestnut, his feet are dark brown/grey). Originally my daughter's lead rein pony, I've since broken him to drive. The farrier has a look at his feet around four times a year. Occasionally he will take a bit off to balance, but normally just leaves them. I try and drive him once or twice a week (all on roads). He also gets sweet itch so is on Thunderbrook meadow chaff, seaweed and brewers yeast.

I also have a 13.2hh coloured who I bought three months ago for my daughter. She has nice round feet that are all stripey black and white. She is on Thunderbrook meadow chaff, Global Herbs Sarc-Ex and brewers yeast. She is hacked out on roads occasionally (mainly ridden on farmland or in schools at rallys). She had shoes on when I got her and I had them taken off around 10 weeks ago. Her toes are starting to look a bit long.

Both are out 24/7 and fed hay in the winter.