What do you feed your beasts?

Sleipnir

Visit site
7yo 16.2hh Latvian Harness horse, weights ~600kg, light work at winter, 24/7 out.

Adlib hay and various salt licks/mineral blocks to choose freely from - 24/7.
Morning feed - 1/2 scoop whole oats, 1/2 scoop unmollassed chaff, apple cider vinegar and linseed oil.
Evening feed - 1/2 scoop sunflower meal, herbal mix for general immunity, live yeast, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and a mineral supplement.

This will change a bit at summer when the workload increases and I ditch sunflower meal during the grazing season. :)

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
17h ISH in light work at present. Tends to poor side of good doer but not bad :)

Morning:
3/4 scoop bluegrass re leve

Evening
3/4 scoop re leve
Vit e and selenium
Carron oil
Joint supplement

And as much hay as he will eat :) this is the first year he has held his weight consitantly over winter and looks fab! Looks the best he has ever looked over winter :)

Casey76

Visit site
6yo 13.3 Merens mare in light work (schooling 3x 40 minutes, 1 fast hack for 1 hour and 1 lunging session for 20 mins per week): 1/2 measure Baileys lo cal on a morning and 1/2 stubbs scoop soaked grass nuts with pro hoof and a handful of micronised linseed on a night

2.5yo 15.2 Merens gelding (no work) same as above

They are on winter turnout at the moment, so out during the day on hardstanding with ad lib hay, and in at night. The mare is on wood pellets with a small holed net of hay, the gelding is on straw with a generous amount of hay.

Follysmum

Visit site
In at night out 6-9 hrs in day. Small bucket of Fast Fibre, Unmollased dengie, Pro Balance, Micro Linseed, Tumeric, pepper.

hairyhighland

Visit site
14 hh. 3 yr old Highland on his holidays till he turns 4. A very good doer being a highland. Currently has handful of unmollassed chaff and 1/2 cup suregrow Am and pm Limestone powder in the pm feed . Has a section of hay when its frosty. He lives out 24/7.

Sure grow will change to lo-cal when I bring him back into work and I'll add a small amount of linseed oil as I show and this I find gives them a Wonderful shine

ktj1891

Visit site
8 year old TB exracer (poor doer) in light work

Coolstance Copra
Kwikbeet
Linseed
ERS Pellets

FP Balancer
Tumeric
Yeasacc

Baycobsmum

Visit site
15.3hh cob in light work (riding school type activities)
Ridden 5 times per week
1/2 scoop hi fibre cubes morning and night
Equivalent of two nets am and pm
Full hay rack same again on floor for haylage
Good doer has lost very little for winter do far . . Upping work a little now to try n shift a bit more in prep for spring about. 4 conditions scoring ways now :/

xgemmax

Visit site
7 year old ISH x cob in light work

He gets half a small square scoop of speedibeet, handfull of hifi unmollassed, scoop micronised linseed, scoop yea sacc, 3/4 scoop of pro balance

he gets that twice a day at the moment, plus 3 or 4 wedges of hay at night

delaneys

Visit site
13 year old tb and 7 year old tb both in medium work

Am.. 1/4 scoop of cheap horse and pony nuts
Hand full of alfa a
Splodge of speedi beet

Pm.
1/2 scoop of nuts
1 speedibeet
1 chaff
Garlic and top spec balancer

Adlib hay

Out of work tb gets the same but no balancer

Silmarillion

Visit site
All three of mine are in very light work (hack twice a week at the moment). Two are 18 and one is 8.
The 18yos get a handful of Fast Fibre and a handful of HiFi molasses free twice a day, and both get a small amount of micronised linseed and appropriate measures of ForagePlus balancer. One also gets NAF Superflex.
The younger one gets a handful of Speedi-Beet and a handful of chaff twice a day, and Formula4Feet. He has different food as he has certain intolerances.
They all get hay and are out 24/7. They all look good but the oldies could look better with more work!

Kati*89

Visit site
15.2hh Welsh x TB in very light work (due to weather) scoop of chaff, 1/4 Re-leve and cup of micronised linseed - twice a day - when we do more work..only ever 4/5 times week schooling and bit of hacking he will go up to 1/2 and I might up the linseed - he looks well at the moment but towards the lean side, however I am putting that down to little work and losing a bit of muscle as his tummy is fine :)
He has 3/4 slice of haylage at night and haylage in the field during the day...sometimes I top-up his evening with hay just to make it last longer, the haylage is quite rich so don't like too much of that.

PolarSkye

Visit site
16.3hh 14-year-old Polish warmblood type in medium work . . .

Ad lib hay and haylage mixed
No hay in field currently (there is still grass)
Minimum 6 hours turnout

Hard feed (split between a.m. and p.m. feeds):

Half scoop (dry weight) Speedibeet
2/3rds scoop ERS Pellets
Whole scoop Alfa A Molasses Free
2/3rds scoop Blue Chip Original
1 mug Micronized Linseed
1 scoop (15 grams) pure MSM

Occasionally he gets carrots and apples in his feed, but not often. When he works particularly hard or goes hunting he also gets Bailey's Number 1.

P

Annagain

Visit site
Two 18 year olds.
17hh TBxIDxSec D - good doer (particularly on grass as opposed to haylage). In light-moderate work, hacked twice a week for up to 3 hrs, schooled 3 times a week for 30-60mins competes 1-2 times a month.
16.3 IDxcob - weight never changes, never gets fat or thin! In light work - hacked 2-3 times a week, odd bit of schooling and fun rides.

At this time of year, they both have the same (very little) - 2/3 Stubbs scoop of cool mix, 1 Scoop Hi-Fi, Molassed Sugar beet (1 stubbs scoop dry weight lasts the 2 of them 3 days so a tiny amount and very sloppy, just make their feeds more interesting) carrots/apples/ parsnips/swede/whatever veg I've got about to go off! Ad lib haylage overnight (but neither eats a huge amount) out on not much grass from about 6am-6pm

In the summer they have grass and that's it. The good doer is particularly good on grass rather than haylage. I know that probably sounds stupid, but what I mean is we don't have to watch him too much when he's in, but as soon as he's out 24hrs we have to keep a close eye on him.

Kadastorm

Visit site
13.2hh, 7yr old NF gelding. 350kg, light work -

3 sections of hay AM & PM

Feed AM:
1/2 scoop fast fibre
handful hifi
dengie coat and hoof supplement

PM:
A handful of 'healthy herbal treats' and a carrot or apple in his treatball.

vam

Visit site
17hh wb currently doing bog all as he is broken, was on 4 hours turn out on a mud paddock with haylege but just about to move onto a small grass field for longer. Gets a mix of hay and haylege, couple of large nets in the day and about ¼ bale of hay at night. Was getting ready grass but has gone off it so have dropped that, also fussy with the hay so up the haylege if I can’t get him hay he will eat (yard supplies but I have to root through to get a bale he will eat).
Feed wise he is on 1 scoop of non molassed chaff, ½ scoop high fibre nuts, mug of micronized linseed and brewer’s yeast split between 2 feeds. Will add a few alfalfa a pellets now he is walking out in hand but I want him to stay as lean as I can. Might try him on grass nuts instead of ready grass but will see how I go.

When he was in work (6 days a week, lunging, fast hacking, road work, schooling and jumping/competing) he was on similar. He was out for 8 hours a day, lots of hay, haylege and ready grass at night plus same feeds probably about twice the amount as now but with a scoop (wet) speedy beet and 2 mugs of alfalfa a pellets between 2 feeds as well. Won’t eat mushy feeds so couldn’t feed large amounts of speedy beet in his feed but does like them wet. (yeah, i know, he really is that odd)
In summer he had more turnout so dropped a lot of his hard feed to just chaff, nuts and linseed in a smaller amounts but he still had a fair bit of hay. Seemed to work but I would often adjust the amounts depending on how he was looking or how hard he worked.

Brightbay

Visit site
17hh 11 year old ISH. Lives out 24/7, unclipped and with a rainsheet if it rains (which it has pretty much constantly for the last month!). In constant light work (i.e. goes out for an undemanding hack every day).

Gets the equivalent of two giant Shires haynets in the field every day, and gets one bucket in the morning with 200g Timothy Chop, 600g Spillers High Fibre cubes and his mineral supplements mixed up with a small measure of KM Elite Ultimate Oil and some turmeric. The field is 10 acres for 4 horses and still has grazing.
As usual, he looks slightly too well :rolleyes: With a bit of luck he'll look perfect by the time the grass starts growing again!

Won’t eat mushy feeds so couldn’t feed large amounts of speedy beet in his feed but does like them wet. (yeah, i know, he really is that odd)
Not odd at all, mine ^^ is exactly the same. I have the soaking of the high fibre cubes down to a fine art now - they have to be crumble topping consistency or won't be eaten :D

Last edited:

BayLady

Visit site
Rising 5yr Haflinger x Welsh D in light work (aim for 2 short slow hacks and 2 schooling sessions per week, don't always manage it with the weather). He is out for approx 18 hours per day, no hay in field but enough grass to keep him occupied. Whilst stabled he gets 6kg of hay, 2-3kg in a normal holed net and the rest double netted in small holed nets, he usually has some left over when I arrive. Bucket feed is one small mug of Dengie Hi-Fi Senior (as I had 2 bags of it unopened when I got him and am tight!) and 1/4 TopSpec mug of Simple Systems Blue Bag Grass nuts, plus a small amount of micronised linseed, Pro-Balance vits & mins and some salt. The bucket feed gets soaked so it's nice and mushy.

He's steadily lost his summer weight on this diet and now looks really well. He is going on fresh grazing at the weekend so no doubt will pack some more on but I'll just reduce his hay to suit and hope he runs most of it off!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
Mine get varying amounts of the following: Alfalfa Pellets soaked, soaked/steamed oats. Linseed twice a day. Probiotics twice a day. Night supps are su-per hoof, vit E and selenium, copper, mag ox.

Late feeds is token for the easy keepers of oats/alf pellets. Most are just on handfuls and a total of 1 cup of linseed per day split. I have 2 harder keepers that have 2 cups a day of linseed and 1scoop of each am, two scoops of each pm, night feed 1 1/2 scoops combined.

Oddly enough I was using speedie beet and they were not as good foot wise as they are with just the alfalfa pellets. More iron in speedie/beet. At any rate it's kept simple and of course ad lib hay.

Terri

vam

Visit site
Not odd at all, mine ^^ is exactly the same. I have the soaking of the high fibre cubes down to a fine art now - they have to be crumble topping consistency or won't be eaten :D

Thats about right! The feed has to wet but the nuts not mushy or too crumbly otherwise he tips it out of his feed bowl and wastes loads. It gets water thrown at it left for about 5 mins then fed, honestly i take more care of his diet than mine, my dinner normally comes out the microwave!