What do you feed your horses that would be frowned upon ...

The mad TB

Visit site
About 3 days before a competition I feed my TB extra hyper food in the hopes that he'll be forwards at the show. If he's springing off the floor on the Saturday I know he's had enough. The rest of them think I'm mad ;)

puss

Visit site
My cob has never turned his nose up at anything he has been know to eat dead rabbit in the field and he likes ham and beef he is a bit of a meat eater if he can steal it.

Boysy

Visit site
My Natives get Tiger Oats in winter for stamina, people can't believe i actually feed them oats but they've had them for yrs now and never been a problem, i even give them to the kids ponies. Just gives them enough fuel to cope with the workload they get in winter, no weight gain and slow release energy.

I hasten to add that as yet they haven't needed them as i have soooo much grass still, benefit of having good doers, can't see me feeding hay until after xmas at this rate, saves my pocket a bit.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
:eek: he's got a likit (ENERGY, low in sugar)....but just having the one as I was given it :eek: It's the only flavour he's ever remotely been interested in.

Shoot me now..

SmartieBean09

Visit site
I'm not feeding it but I'm a huge fan of Mollichaff Showshine and honestly, if it wasn't for the looks I'd get then I'd probably feed it as I use chaff only for bulk anyway.

Pony also loves Soft Mints!

Holding

Visit site
Mine gets his proper feed, and on top of that whatever has gone past its sell-by date at my shop. He needs the added calories, but unfortunately has now developed a serious sweet tooth, so I have to mix the TopChop Alfalfa with Mollichaff Showshine or similar. He also gets a bucket of Readigrass a day, and a cocktail of supplements. And the occasional Guinness mixed in with his Calm and Condition. He gets half, I get half - we're both happy. :D

Cazzah

Visit site
My TB and the pony love bread so they get whatever is past it's best in the house. Fruit and veg are favourites too. TB also likes a slurp of hot chocolate when we are out and about.

My lad loves his bread so much he did once nick a bite of my burger at a show when I wasn't looking. I fairly sure that is pretty wrong.

Oberon

Visit site
I will own up to the old boy having a Horselyx in his stable :eek: :D. He'd get a new one once a year and it would last all that time.

(I've sadly confiscated it since he was diagnosed with rampant Cushings though :eek:.)

Now they get treats of banana, oranges, brazil nuts, broccoli.....

Yogurt covered dried banana pieces and spinach were rejected by both though :D.

glamourpuss

Visit site
All of mine get a double handful of Mollichaff veteran despite only 1 of them being a 'proper' veteran....and she probably shouldn't eat it as she's so lami prone....but they all love it and will pick at their feeds totally uninterested if its not in. Lami pony has been on it a year and she hasn't even been footy at all :)

I also sometimes feed middlings if the horse needs a bit 'extra'. Lots of people turn their nose up at it claiming 'it's a waste product' or 'floor sweepings' This always makes me laugh because having been to the silver spoon factory this is also what I would classify Sugar beet- I'm still very happy to feed that as well :D

Middlings is also called Wheat feed and is a major component of most commercial horse feeds. It contains fibre, protein and as long as the calcium/phosphorus ratio is balanced by feeding with sugar beet or alfalfa it's brilliant. Also I get it at £7 a bag which lasts ages. Sometimes after a hard day hunting/competing I make it up with hot water to make a lovely warm mash :)

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
All mine get a mince pie each (half a one for the minis) in their feed on Christmas morning and Boxing day morning. Everyone at the yard thinks I'm stark staring bonkers but hey, I am Box of Frogs lol.

Oberon

Visit site
Middlings is also called Wheat feed and is a major component of most commercial horse feeds. It contains fibre, protein and as long as the calcium/phosphorus ratio is balanced by feeding with sugar beet or alfalfa it's brilliant. Also I get it at £7 a bag which lasts ages. Sometimes after a hard day hunting/competing I make it up with hot water to make a lovely warm mash :)

Wheat feed is in many supplements as a way to 'make' up the weight of the minerals in calculation.

I have fed it in the past as a straight too in order to put weight on a sick horse. We call it 'Thirds' round here :D. The horses went mad for it and it was great to hide medication in.

I only stopped feeding it after a forage analysis told me our forage is high in phosphorous and I was upsetting the balance by feeing it :(.

There are some lucky people who's phosphorous was found low and they are allowed to feed it. I'm jealous :eek:.