What do you feed your natives?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Posting here for traffic as I didn't get any responses on the more correct area!
Need a feed for my overgrown Connie gelding who is prone to weight gain. He needs more energy to be doing the work he is (5x a week various activities), though he is quite forward going so don't want anything that will make him too daft. Added sparkle is fine, airs above ground are not.

So what do you feed your natives?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a prone-to-be-plump large native currently with me.
She has a smal amount of hi-fi lite, some high fibre nuts and a half scoop of Saracen Enduro 100 mix. Oh, and a small amount of speedi beet to bind things together.

I usually feed straights, but this mix was recommended by her breeder & the mare does well on it as she does need more than just basic stuff to keep her levels up. Gives energy but not 'idiot making' at all.

TGM

Visit site
My forward going good doer pony just gets Spillers Lite balancer and a handful of chaff, that's enough for her even when she is competing, hunting etc.

LilacWillow

Visit site
Mine just have 24/7 access to forage (both grass and hay) and a daily scoop of Happy Hoof in the winter. In summer they just have forage unless they're doing more work, then again they have a scoop of Happy Hoof. Never ever needed any more!

Nativelover

Visit site
Mine gets a small handful of Alfa A oil, a small handful of speedibeet, formula 4 feet and a small handful of high fibre cubes. He is now on magnesium due to being off the grass. He gets this 2x a day now he is in for the winter. But once a day on his days out 2x a week.
He only gets this as he is in work, otherwise it would just be formula 4 feet. He is also on hay/straw on a 50:50. So considering straw has next to no nutrition value he gets approx 5-6kg of hay in 24hrs.
The oil gives his coat a beautiful shine, and slow releasing energy for exercise. He is nicely losing his summer weight on this regime, as they would naturally in winter time.
Natives are hard to maintain a nice weight, but IME hillside turnout, exercise and careful feeding is a good way to keep them healthy.

_HP_

Visit site
Is he overweight ATM ?.. If so weight loss should give him more energy
Check he has no metabolic issues that are making him appear lethargic such as Cushing's and/ or EMS or low grade laminitis ☺

If not then perhaps a good balancer such as Spillers Lite to ensure he has everything he needs to feel fit ☺

Greylegs

Visit site
A handful of un-molassed chaff plus a measure of Baileys Lo Cal Balancer. Plus plenty of hay. He's in over-night but goes out for several hours every day. Ridden 4-5 times per week, mostly flatwork or hacking. He definitely doesn't need any more.

WandaMare

Visit site
I have two, they have hay, hi-fi lite partly as feed but also as hay replacer fed between haynet times when standing in, and Baileys low cal balancer.

DirectorFury

Visit site
TopSpec Lite Balancer, UlsaKind, and un-molassed oat straw chaff, plus half a scoop of Fast Fibre to damp it down, as well as ad-lib hay.

For days when I think she'll need more energy I feed 1-2 handfuls of TopSpec Turbo about an hour and a half before riding which works really well. The horse is in reasonably hard work, long and fast hacks (inc gallop sets on the beach once a fortnight) twice a week, schooling 3x, and jumping once. We also hunt roughly once a month.

furrycat

Visit site
Mine gets a scoop of happy hoof or similar split between 2 feeds, plus ad lib hay. She's healthy and full of vitality and is worked 5-6 days per week.

rowan666

Visit site
No hard feed in spring/summer and bucket of readi-grass and small scoop of ready mash and linseed in autumn/winter, adlib haylege all year round, out 24/7, they are not worked atall in winter

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
feed mine year round they have grass nuts soaked then ossichaff cool hoof, turmeric linseed, pepper, salt, and half ration of balancer. The are all very well and we are still strip grazing at about 18 inches of grass over about 50 meters a day. I have to feed all year due to the turmeric requirement for the old girl it keeps her sound and so all have to be fed

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) It's so difficult to know what to feed when there's SO many out there and so much conflicting advise.

Is he overweight ATM ?.. If so weight loss should give him more energy
Check he has no metabolic issues that are making him appear lethargic such as Cushing's and/ or EMS or low grade laminitis ☺

If not then perhaps a good balancer such as Spillers Lite to ensure he has everything he needs to feel fit ☺

He's not overweight at the minute, he's at a good weight although wouldn't mind him getting a little leaner over winter (as nature intended).
Don't think there's any metabolic issues etc, think it's just that with the increased workload he isn't getting the energy he needs from ad-lib forage (he is out 8am - 5pm on ok grass and in with ad-lib hay at night).

Will have a looksee into the world of balancers, never fed one before as tend towards feeds that make up a balanced diet.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I feed all of mine fast fibre. 2x Connie x tb's and new forest and a mini Shetland

Shetland doesn't get any yet but will if he needs it

The mare 2 Connie x tb's also get a bit of molasses free hi Fi mixed in

SO1

Visit site
I take that you are currently only feeding hay and grass?

I found Blue chip native was a good balancer.

You do have to be careful with natives as feeds that have extra energy are also calories so the energy may just get converted to fat rather than energy.

With my new forest I find the fitter he is the more energy he has - I ride about 4-5 times a week. They can also use up energy keeping warm too. Sometime being overweight can mean that they are more lethargic too.

My new forest is very good doer and we have lots of grass even in winter. So at the moment he is out during the day in the field with lots of grass with his muzzle on. In at night on soaked hay. Feed wise he has Dengie Mollasses free and Global Herbs Hocks. I will probably try the new Global herbs winter boost supplement for the winter too.

Dumbo

Visit site
Nothing at the moment! The grass is really good and he gets soaked hay at night. He'll start having a balancer once a day but he's quite overweight and fizzy so definitely won't be getting much more than that!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I take that you are currently only feeding hay and grass?

I found Blue chip native was a good balancer.

You do have to be careful with natives as feeds that have extra energy are also calories so the energy may just get converted to fat rather than energy.

With my new forest I find the fitter he is the more energy he has - I ride about 4-5 times a week. They can also use up energy keeping warm too. Sometime being overweight can mean that they are more lethargic too.

My new forest is very good doer and we have lots of grass even in winter. So at the moment he is out during the day in the field with lots of grass with his muzzle on. In at night on soaked hay. Feed wise he has Dengie Mollasses free and Global Herbs Hocks. I will probably try the new Global herbs winter boost supplement for the winter too.

Yeah, he's on just grass and hay at the mo. He's also fairly fit, but feeling abit lacklustre compared to his usual way of going.
It is hard with natives in terms of calories, but i'd rather feed him enough so he has the energy required and exercise him more so he doesn't put the weight on than have him lacking the energy to perform well.

SO1

Visit site
I would try the Blue Chip Native Pony Balancer. The only reason I don't use it now is that I moved to part livery and feed is included so no point buying something extra so he has the Dengie Molasses Free which included in his livery along with the powdered supplement. His energy levels are fine, he is naturally not that lively in the school but plenty of energy out hacking and if we jump.

I am sure you are aware of this but try and avoid anything high in sugar or starch as most natives do not well on sugary/starchy feed.

Yeah, he's on just grass and hay at the mo. He's also fairly fit, but feeling abit lacklustre compared to his usual way of going.
It is hard with natives in terms of calories, but i'd rather feed him enough so he has the energy required and exercise him more so he doesn't put the weight on than have him lacking the energy to perform well.

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine just have 24/7 access to forage (both grass and hay) and a daily scoop of Happy Hoof in the winter. In summer they just have forage unless they're doing more work, then again they have a scoop of Happy Hoof. Never ever needed any more!

This plus equibites.

rara007

Visit site
My D isn't a massive porker so he's on local+ high oil chaff. My partbred just has hay and grass ad lib but isn't in much work so is fatter than ever!

_HP_

Visit site
Spillers Lite Balancer is good for fat prone natives.
Don't forget to add a bit of salt ...especially if he is sweating alot☺

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
I've had my connie 2 weeks and currently feed him half scoop molasses free hifi and feed mark v&m supplement with a swig of ACV. He is only 4 and after barefoot trimmer came yday and said he has had laminitis already I need to be extra careful. We also have cattle grazing so muzzle at the ready!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Adlib hay and keep them fit. If they aren't keeping weight on then that's the time to introduce feed.

You can't feed an over weight horse to add energy.

Not sure this is aimed at me? But mine isn't overweight :) He gets adlib hay and is fit, just lacklustre compared to his usual way of going when the grass is better.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Not sure this is aimed at me? But mine isn't overweight :) He gets adlib hay and is fit, just lacklustre compared to his usual way of going when the grass is better.

No. Have you tried tiger oats. Used them successfully with my last D, would feed a small amount daily so she was used to them and increase the night before a competition. Rolled oats worked well too but had to feed more of them. She was fit but lacked stamina (I bought her very over weight and she died before I could say if her stamina was improving). They are fattening but that's ok if the horse is working.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
No. Have you tried tiger oats. Used them successfully with my last D, would feed a small amount daily so she was used to them and increase the night before a competition. Rolled oats worked well too but had to feed more of them. She was fit but lacked stamina (I bought her very over weight and she died before I could say if her stamina was improving). They are fattening but that's ok if the horse is working.

Not tried tiger oats, will do some more research to see if these would also suit him.

pennandh

Visit site
The indomitable Mr H (who is a 13.1hh Highland) has half a scoop(ish) each of sugar-beet and unmolassed chop on an evening. Mostly, this is just to put his supplements in - he gets a joint supplement (I forget the name, but it has a heck of a lot more hyaluronic acid in than Cortaflex HA does, and costs less to boot) and seaweed for his feet and mane (he's barefoot and likes to rub his mane and tail when he's bored).

Other than hay/haylage and whatever grass he manages to guzzle in his usual 3-5 hours of turnout on the scabbiest available grazing, that's all, and he happily does more or less whatever's thrown at him (anything from dressage schooling and working hunter competitions to hacking out for several miles in the company of an ex-racehorse and occasionally jousting) five or six days a week.

He still tends to be marginally on the round side, and frequently decides that it's much more fun to do piaffe than walking when trying to hack slowly in company, but we've more or less accepted that as just being the way he is.

Rocky01

Visit site
With my overgrown Connie I use st.hippolyt equigard in the summer and the structur-e in the winter as he can drop off when the grass stops being good and he stays in work. Gives him all the vitamins, minerals and proteins without the starch and sugar and weight gain some of the balancers gave him.